9 month old male behavioural problems I need help with !

misscatnapper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat Memphis, who I had de-sexed 1 week ago, has been peeing (not spraying) in my partners ute, the bath tub, laundry sink and sometimes other random areas around the house for about 3 months now.

He also comes into our room in between 3am and 4am every morning, non-stop meowing very loudly for god knows what reason (he has food, water, toys, a cat buddy). Sometimes my boyfriend will get up and chase him, so every time one of us gets out of bed he sprints away. It's impossible to lock him out of the room as he will constantly scratch on the door. 

I am patient with him and have been doing what I can but it's my partner who is absolutely fed up with it and it's causing stress in our relationship. 

Would appreciate any helpful ideas or theories!!

Sorry if there is already a thread about this, I'm reading through similar ones and all the replies.

Last edited:

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
have you ever had him checked for urinary problems? (bladder infection? kidney problems) if he;s been doing something out of character, obviously something is wrong.

second, your partner should stop chasing him, because he's either scared, or he thinks you are playing a game, which is why he runs.

if your partner has no patience with the cat who has obviously got something going on, get rid of him, keep the cat IMO

Last edited:

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Inappropriate peeing is a huge red flag for uninary problems.  Especially in males.

Please have him checked as he may have blockages (crystals) and they can eventually take cats lives.

Go to the vet asap.  And please no chasing the cat...making a bad situation worse.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you live there with the male cat prior to your boyfriend moving in? How old is the cat? Are you sure it's urine and not him spraying?

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I see now that he's 9 mo's from the title. It sounds like a health issue to me as well especially if he was using the litter w/o issue b4.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misscatnapper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
have you ever had him checked for urinary problems? (bladder infection? kidney problems) if he;s been doing something out of character, obviously something is wrong.

second, your partner should stop chasing him, because he's either scared, or he thinks you are playing a game, which is why he runs.

if your partner has no patience with the cat who has obviously got something going on, get rid of him, keep the cat IMO
I have not had him checked for that specifically no, I will ASAP! 

Yeah Memphis definitely thinks the chasing is a game, so my partner is just wasting his time and energy he could be spending in bed haha.

The cat will absolutely not be going anywhere, he's the love of my life :p

My partner won't be going anywhere either though.

Quote:
Inappropriate peeing is a huge red flag for uninary problems.  Especially in males.

Please have him checked as he may have blockages (crystals) and they can eventually take cats lives.

Go to the vet asap.  And please no chasing the cat...making a bad situation worse.
Thanks for your reply I will have him checked asap. Holy hell I hope my baby is okay.
Did you live there with the male cat prior to your boyfriend moving in? How old is the cat? Are you sure it's urine and not him spraying?
No my boyfriend and I moved in together before getting either of our (my) cats. 
I've only caught Memphis in the act once and that was in the bath tub and I don't believe he was spraying but I could be wrong. Will absolutely have him checked for urinary problems to be safe. Thanks!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had crystal kitties and the problem seems to have cropped up around a year old.  Nine months falls into that catagory.

I hope all is ok.  They can recooperate, all mine did.  But diet is very important.  Work with your vet. Your kitty will need special food.  Mine were on Hills c/d.