9 month old kitten pooping outside box

sbnoel15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten that I got in early October has been using the floor to defecate since about the end of october. She is fixed, has been checked out by a vet, she has no health problems. She gets a ton of attention. She gets along very well with our one other cat who is a boy but he has been fixed as well. They are both up to date on vaccines and everything. She will pee in the litter box but not poop. She will poop right beside it or all the floor of the room it is in but nowhere else unless she can't get into the room where the box is, which has only happened one time by accident. She is loved and has a ton of toys and things just for her. She gets attention from us all the time and loves to play with our other vat who adores her just as much as she does him. I don't know what else to do with her. I have tried just about everything I have been told to do. I have cleaned it multiple times a day, tried to bleach the areas where she potties in the floor to ensure the enzymes are not lingering and encouraging her to poop there again. I have praised her for using the box, I have done everything I can think of and nothing is working. If it continues my husband is going to get rid of her and I really don't want that to happen. Please help!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? Some cats simply will not poop in the same box they pee in. If you don't already, I'd add another litter box or two. In your case, it seems as though you could likely have a second box in the same location as the first; but, I'd suggest adding one elsewhere in the house too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbnoel15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have one. Our apartment is tiny but we are getting another one today and trying to find the best possible place to put the second one for her to be comfortable with its location.

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Totally agree that more than one litter box may be the solution. Some cats simply cannot stomach the acidic stench of urine, especially if there is more than one cat using it. Check its usage often during the day. A litter than fights orders and clumps quickly may be the answer.

sbnoel15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We use clumping litter that has odor fighting stuff in it. Tidy cats is the brand. It's what she used at the shelter before we adopted her.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that getting the second litter box will help. You may even need another one, it sounds like you have 2 cats. A rule of thumb is 1 box per cat, plus an extra.

Fingers crossed the second box does the trick! :)

sbnoel15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We introduced the second box last night but she won't use it if our other cat has used it. She decided even after I cleaned it this morning to poop on the floor right next to the new one. On carpet. I had to move it because the carpet cleaner stinks and she wouldn't go near it. It's just frustrating. I'm trying to be patient but my husband is not as patient as I am and he's just about had it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may need to have three boxes then and keep them clean frequently.  It sounds like she has an issue going where another cat has gone, which not uncommon.  You can also try putting her poo in the litter box so it gets her scent.  You may also need to use enzyme cleaners.  Bleach can smell like cat urine, which can confuse things.

Lastly, try cat attract litter.  It can help to draw them to the litter box.