9 day old orphaned kitten with a few questions.

Xanny455

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me preface by saying: he was an orphan, yes I'm using KMR (with colostrum) and yes he has seen a vet and will do so again this coming week. I've had him since he was LESS than 24 hours old. Also, his name is Rugbee, because he looks like a carpet (pale tan/cream colored). :)

1st question: Could lack of nutrition cause him to be more wobbly?

Rugbee eats well, he's energetic and vocal (the normal kind), and he pees and poops well. Maybe it is just my anxiety but he seems to be a little more unsteady/wobbly, especially in his neck/head area. Is this normal? I've done a lot of research on the amounts of KMR every 2 hours, and I follow that. He otherwise seems healthy aside from a bout of constipation that lead to an irritated bum. I was instructed to dilute the formula and also add some Pedialyte here and there.

I just want to hear some opinions on this, as I am horribly anxious all the time about how he is, and how his health is. He purrs and after a feeding likes to snuggle under my chin.

2nd question: he sometimes is very aggressive with the nipple on the bottle, biting and kind of whining which honestly is new because he usually never did that - does this mean he is hungry and I need to feed him more each feeding?

3rd question: Due to him having been constipated, what can I apply to his sore bum? I see differing things about Neosporin.

I don't have any photos on my computer, but I can try to add them later.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am no expert by any means, but I think that the answer to question your first question is that it could just be because he is so young? I should add that I have never bottle fed a kitten, but you seem to be doing a great job.

With question two, I am entirely unsure. Watching my stray Marble feed ten kittens another Mom cat disappeared, they were very aggressive with feeding, all trying to find a spot and wearing her down physically. These were older kittens, though. Your little guy may just want more.

As a nurse for humans, I can tell you that Neosporin can cause an allergic reaction after three days of use. This is very common. We always used double-antibiotic when I worked in prison rather than triple, because it is the third ingredient that creates the problem. A lot of medical professionals don't know that; I learned from the doctor friend I worked with at the prison. I don't know about with kittens. I am not qualified to give advice and always defer to what the vet advises.

And fourth, welcome to TCS and bless you, bless you, for what you are doing to take care of this kitten. I hope you stick around; we would love to have you in our happy little community. I hope someone comes along who can provide better advice than me. Please keep us updated on how your kitten is - I hope he continues to thrive under your watchful care. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
1. Kittens are born wobbly but get stronger and gain more control by about 3-4 weeks old.

2. He sounds hungry! How much does he weigh? How much and how often do you feed him? I’m not a fan of diluting formula.

3. For constipation I recommend adding 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. This softens the stool and keeps things moving. It is not unusual for bottle fed kittens to experience constipation.

For a sore bottom, apply coconut oil (it’s non-toxic) for healing and to avoid urine burn. A&D ointment works also, but stop using A&D once he is able to lick himself.

Xanny455 Xanny455

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with both posts above. Just to add:
IF he has much problems with constipation, goats milk works often as a good alternative. Or a kmr with goats milk as a base.
Colostrum in KMR is most important the first days of age. Now its not this important, so you can change to other kmr if you wish or need.
But if this KMR does serve you well, of course do proceed with it.

Oil mentioned, be it olive oil or coconut oil, best use coldpressed and organic type. Its not strictly necessary, but better if you can get.

Xanny455 Xanny455

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Xanny455

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mean I have seen them nurse for a pretty long time, so I guess they can - but I just want to make sure. For some reason when I try to look for questions/answers online sometimes it is hard to find them about newborns only.

Thanks,
Xanny

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Xanny455

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is 2 weeks old this thursday! He was abandoned by his mother.
I am seeing the vet in less than 7 hours because he is very constipated, and has not pooped for just about 2 days now! He is a great eater and pees well!! Otherwise very active and healthy, eyes open.

My question is, is it safe to still feed him up until then? He is bloated :( with tummy sounds but he just can't pass anything - but he did prior to this. I have tried multiple different ways of stimulating and nothing! I can tell it's a bit painful for him - but he is also hungry and I don't know if it's safer to not feed him or what?

Thanks,
Xanny

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get on the internet and look up Kitten Lady, she has many videos on how to deal with a tiny kitten. If he has not pooped in 2 days, get some human infant suppositories for constipation, shave off a tiny sliver, but still big enough to handle, and insert it into the rectum. that should help. The vet most likely will give him an enema. You might keep some of those suppositories on hand. You also might put a little more water in the kitten's formula, and a few drops of mineral oil to help with constipation.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. This helps to soften poop and move things along. Do not further dilute the formula, but you can use unflavored pedialyte to mix it with instead of water. It is common in bottle fed kittens that they experience constipation.

You can buy infant simethicone drops and also add 2-3 drops to each feeding to help with gas.

The suppository tip usually brings on a poop in 10-20 minutes. Be sure to shave off a tiny piece. As stated, vet will administer an enema.

He does need feeding in spite of bloating.

Please keep all posts to one thread. Xanny455 Xanny455