9.5 Year-old cat eating disorders and weight loss

catb0b

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm planning to go to the vet on Monday as I'm trying to get a good picture of my cat condition before I go to the doctor with not "enough" information. This is what I've so far:

My 9.5 year old indoor Persian cat has been eating small amounts of food for the past few weeks and I'm started to worry there's something else happening. For a little background:

1. She's supposed to be a FIV+ cat, although we never know how she got infected as I said she's 100% indoors (living on a condo, so impossible for her to go anywhere). Given that she has not been vaccinated for the past 3 years. 

2. Diet is: 90% kibbles + 10% wet food (no schedule)

3. Her weight has always fluctuated from 7.6-8.2 pounds. Right now she's at 7.4 decreasing from a constant 7.8 during the first quarter of the year.

4. She's brushed twice a month, no vomit / hairballs for the last 2 months. However, every now and then she has some poop with hair. 

5. Started to get constipated at the beginning of March. I clean her litter every night religiously so I know her litter behavior.When there's no poop, I give her some pumpkin puree in the morning + sentry malt hairball relief on the evening and that helps her, as usually the day after I scoop big stools. I notice that lately I need to stay with that formula in order to get her to poop, otherwise there are slim chances she won't poop.

6. We've been syringe feeding her due to her lack of appetite. She never refuses wet food, but gets tired of it pretty quickly (that's why is only 10% of her diet). Lately she's not eating all her pouches. She never refuses Orijen treats which at least shows she's hungry.

7. She has been very active, as a matter of fact, without the food intake concern or mild constipation one would think she's doing fine.

8. Wife says she has always been like that, but lately I've noticed she's breathing very fast, sometimes during sleeping. Couple of nights during this year I saw her having some difficulties, like apnea perhaps, and she has woken up crying looking for us, looking a little bit scared and starts scratching the floor. This has not happened in the last 6  weeks or so

9. No nose or eye discharge that is of any concern for me. I'm used to clean her nostrils every 7 days, there's usually some dirt, but nothing with a special color to be worried. Her right eye always has a clear discharge that she cleans it, but gets dirty after 4-5 days, so I also clean her eye every 7 days with some Qtips. Qtips get brownish, but I suspect is dirt rather than anything else.

I want to go to the vet and run some tests on her, but I want to be sure based on your experiences that my vet doesn't omit or forget something that you think it may be a good idea my cat is tested for. Based on my description, do you have any idea on what may be happening to her?

Thanks for your help.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS.

9 is a tricky age.

Is that her in your avatar picture, if so she's very sweet.

You're lucky, my cats demanded brushing's 3 times a day. LOL

If she's accepting the Orijen treats it could be she's bored with her wet food.  What kind of pouches are you feeding her?

Have you tried to feed her a different type of food.  One trick I was told about was adding Gerber baby food to the food,  beef, chicken, ham etc.  the baby food for infants with the blue cap.  it works wonders.  Perhaps adding a teaspoon may change the smell and interest her.

Also, I syringe fed my boy who had a tumor and one thing I did was take a can of high calorie food, add very hot water to it and use a hand blender to blend it to the consistency of pudding, it made it smoother to swallow.  I also used a small syringe so I wouldn't choke him.

I know that other members will chime in with great advice and questions you can ask your vet regarding your concerns.

Hang in there.

Be well.  Good luck.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely have the vet do a full blood work up for senior cats. Make sure the test for thyroid problems is included (not sure what the name of that test is) and the fructosamine test for diabetes. The vet should also check your cat's teeth for any dental issues that are painful like resorptive lesions. Dental issues can make eating painful which means the cat may not want to eat much and then loses weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catb0b

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hello and welcome to TCS.

9 is a tricky age.

Is that her in your avatar picture, if so she's very sweet.

You're lucky, my cats demanded brushing's 3 times a day. LOL

If she's accepting the Orijen treats it could be she's bored with her wet food.  What kind of pouches are you feeding her?

Have you tried to feed her a different type of food.  One trick I was told about was adding Gerber baby food to the food,  beef, chicken, ham etc.  the baby food for infants with the blue cap.  it works wonders.  Perhaps adding a teaspoon may change the smell and interest her.

Also, I syringe fed my boy who had a tumor and one thing I did was take a can of high calorie food, add very hot water to it and use a hand blender to blend it to the consistency of pudding, it made it smoother to swallow.  I also used a small syringe so I wouldn't choke him.

I know that other members will chime in with great advice and questions you can ask your vet regarding your concerns.

Hang in there.

Be well.  Good luck.
Thank you for your time and response. That's her when she was 6 months or so. We're feeding her Cats in the Kitchen or Weruva pouches, she likes those a lot. I will do the Geber trick and see if she's more interested in the food.

To syringe fed her we're buying as you said high calorie canned pate for cats, adding some water and also the pumpkin pure. 35 grams/day.

I'll let you know what happens on Monday

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catb0b

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Definitely have the vet do a full blood work up for senior cats. Make sure the test for thyroid problems is included (not sure what the name of that test is) and the fructosamine test for diabetes. The vet should also check your cat's teeth for any dental issues that are painful like resorptive lesions. Dental issues can make eating painful which means the cat may not want to eat much and then loses weight.
Thank you very much for both suggestions. I'll be sure to mention that to out vet.

Have a great day

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for your time and response. That's her when she was 6 months or so. We're feeding her Cats in the Kitchen or Weruva pouches, she likes those a lot. I will do the Geber trick and see if she's more interested in the food.

To syringe fed her we're buying as you said high calorie canned pate for cats, adding some water and also the pumpkin pure. 35 grams/day.

I'll let you know what happens on Monday
I can't stress to you enough about blending the food.

I did find that when syringing the high cal food, it was grisly and fatty.  Definitely add very hot water to it to loosen it and blend it.  It really works wonders.  Just think if you sunk your teeth into a burger or steak that didn't cook down the fat -  gross. LOL

I added a half can very hot water to the high cal and blended it in a small bowl with the pumpkin and or baby food, or even baby food green beans.  

You will get extra because of the amount of water and you can keep it in the fridge.  Your pet store may have those promotional cat can lids so you can store the remainder in the fridge.

Also, when calling your vet, if all blood work is good, ask if you can use canned tuna water to entice as well.  You can also ask your vet if they have a small syringe, I used the size syringe that comes with the Clavamox meds.  I forget what size it was.  I just widened it a little but it was the perfect flow.

Please keep us updated.