8 year old cat attacking new 10 month old puppy...

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did the first introduction totally wrong, and Willow my cat is feeling very threatened and jealous of my DD's new puppy. The puppy hasn't chased her, or Shown any interest in her what so ever, and Willow is such a private cat that she stays hidden all day long. So after a cpl days of the puppy being here I took her from her hiding place under my bed to do an introduction to the puppy. She freaked out, and stayed hidden in a different spot for a cpl more days. Then when she finally got the nerve up to explore on her own I was amazed because it was day time and she came into the living room. Totally not her, she sniffed and explored the puppy with again no reaction out of the puppy. He came to us VERY well trained. Then at night the puppy would make his way into bed with me Which is also where Willow sleeps at night. She would sleep on one side and him on the other. Then about a week ago at 3 am She attacked him while he was sleeping. She did the same thing over and over up until 3 nights ago when she literally jumped the length of my body to attack him and he fought back resulting in a dog/cat fight in the middle of my bedroom floor at 4am. Each time she attacked she wouldn't stop until I gave her a pile of cat nip to enjoy. That last night ended up in a few scratches on the puppy and one cat that had both the puppy and I trapped in the bathroom. I had to flick water on her to get her to let him and I out.

I read Hissy's article on introductions and felt like a total idiot. I was told by my grandfather/landlord that if I can't get the fights to stop one or both animals have to go. Soooooo I'm trying to re introduce them, The puppy is so terrified of Willow that he won't enter the bedroom anymore. Which for right now is okay. But, I would love to have him be able to be in the bedroom with DD since she and I share this room. Willow is so mad at me that she now sleep behind me all the time instead of her normal spot on my belly. She is also trying to butter up to my DD whom she has never really allowed to pet her. I guess I just want some suggestions to add to Hissy's info, as well as maybe a story of successful re intro's if you have any. I'm just so upset over this. Willow had been around dogs before with no issues just not since she was a kitten, and a cpl meet up with friends dogs, as they visited. I'm sorry I'm so long winded but I don't really have anyone to cry/talk to about this. I cried as I was told one or both go, cried as I cuddled Willow to tell her she needs to be nice to him, Tears as I close my bedroom door at night, tears as I'm writing this. I don't want to them to be best friends I just want Willow to not attack him....Hiss, and spat all she wants just not to attack him!

Thanks for reading my vent and thanks for any replies I may get.

han_bee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Honey (RIP) was the same when we got our westie puppy, Alfie (who we don't have now).

We put it down to jealousy, and that was all. Your cat is 8 years old and if Willow hasn't had experience with dogs before, or in fact any other pets, she will become jealous. Honey had only ever been with her sister and therefore that was all she was used to. If she saw me giving the puppy any fuss she went mental about it.

The attacking in the night could be because she woke up and was confused as to why the puppy was sleeping in the place that she always did, and because you are giving her catnip to stop her attacking, she is going to keep doing this because she gets a reward at the end of it.

Honey and Alfie never got on in the end, and Alfie had to go. I didn't want him to keep getting hurt and I wanted Honey to be back to her old self.

I wish you the best of luck in getting the two together, and I hope you have more patience than I do! Haha