8 wk old kitten being mean to & distanced herself from twin sister after sister was spayed

glamourkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone...so our new kitties Sashi & Tygralily went to get spayed on 11/3.  They turned eight weeks on 11/1.  

The rules for early spaying are eight weeks and two pounds; Sashi was exactly two pounds but Tygra missed it by an ounce and half.  They're playing again together now nicely and Ty isn't hissing at her sister anymore, but they still aren't sleeping together as much as the usually do, and are sleeping near each other.

What happened?  Was Ty upset at her sister for being away from her?  (Or am I attributing too much human behavior to them?!)  Or is it because Sashi smells different after being spayed, either because of the hormones (which I thought she wouldn't have, being 8 weeks and not having hit puberty yet) or because of being around other animals while at the vet?  

P.S.-  Any tips on helping Ty put on a little weight?  She's a little on the skinny side and we want to help her gain a little weight in a healthy manner.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sashi doesn't smell like herself anymore, she smells like the vet. Things will calm down in a few days, when you get Ty done please don't vaccinate her and spay at the same time, it's too much for little bodies to handle. 

Was the vet concerned about Ty's weight? If not she'll catch up shortly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glamourkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ty didn't even see the vet, just the tech, because once they weighed her and saw she was under 2 lbs, they sent her home.  On Sashi, they didn't do her rabies vaccine at the same time, just her distemper because she hadn't had any of her kitty shots yet.  (I tried to take them at 6 weeks and they didn't want to do them until 8 weeks.)  They did mention that rabies, distemper, and the spay was too much for her, so they just did distemper.  When I took them in at 6 weeks for a wellness check, the vet mentioned to make sure they were eating every few hours because of their age and did mention that they were a little scrawny.  The people I got them from told me what they were eating (a wet food) and that they'd never had hard food yet.  Oddly enough, I got the same wet food they were eating and put out the hard food I selected for them, and they would not touch the wet food at all.  They went straight for the hard food.  They won't eat treats or anything.  Just that hard food.  Weird.  

When I picked Sashi up, she was super alert and bouncing all over the house, she isn't groggy, in pain, lethargic, or anything.  Completely herself.  (I know she's supposed to be "resting" and "quiet," but good luck on that.  She's kind of a noncompliant patient, lol.  The only thing I could really do is put her in the carrier for large parts of the day, and she isn't pleased with that at all.  Since she isn't messing with her incision or showing any signs of pain, and eating & drinking & using the bathroom like normal, I'm just letting her be, under supervision.)

So would you advise not having Tygralily even get just her distemper and spayed at the same time?  

I was planning to take Tygralily to get her vaccines this week so her and Sashi can be on the same schedule, since they need a few sets 3 to 4 weeks apart.  Then when it's time for Ty's second set of boosters in a month from now, she can be spayed at that time and then Sashi can be the one to have a visit just for boosters.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So would you advise not having Tygralily even get just her distemper and spayed at the same time?  

I was planning to take Tygralily to get her vaccines this week so her and Sashi can be on the same schedule, since they need a few sets 3 to 4 weeks apart.  Then when it's time for Ty's second set of boosters in a month from now, she can be spayed at that time and then Sashi can be the one to have a visit just for boosters.
None of my vets will do any vaccines at the same time as another procedure.

I do 1st vax at 8 weeks, spaying/microchipping at 10 weeks, 2nd vax at 12 weeks. We don't have rabies here, but my import girl had hers done at 16 weeks, 4 weeks after her 2nd F3 shot. That was on the breeders vets advice.

Last edited: