8 week old with diarrhea ( not parasites)

lisareneeo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just officially adopted the kitten I was fostering. Got as a foster at 6 weeks. Did not go to bathroom for a few days but when he did it was normal. A few days went by and it became very runny. Took to humane society and they did a fecal sample test and it was negative for parasites. Humane society gave antibiotics and his stool cleared up and was back to normal. Over the past few days it has gotten back to runny/ diarrhea. I took another stool sample to our vet yesterday (Saturday) and it was again negative for parasites. His first vet appointment is scheduled for tomorrow so hopefully we will be able to figure this out. I'm starting to wonder if it is the food I am feeding him? He eats dry IAMS kitten food and then 2-3 times a day some wet food which is fancy feast original formula. He may occasionally sneak some of my older cats dry food which is adult IAMS, but we really keep an eye on him so if he is eating any of that it is very minimal. We are not giving him any treats or people food. He is drinks lots of water and playing like normal.
Any thoughts? Any suggestions on diet? I am thinking of taking wet food away to see if that is it? He is only a little over 8 weeks old.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens have giardia and/or coccidia a lot, both of which cause diarrhea and are also easy to miss in stool sample tests, so he may still have something. Coccidia causes yellowish, very runny diarrhea, and giardia causes browner, cake-batter consistency stool. I know some people that foster kittens often just go ahead and treat for these as soon as they get the kittens because so many kittens have those parasites in rescue organizations and the tests aren't reliable.

A good option which your vet might prescribe is metronidazole (brand name Flagyl), which treats giardia and other intestinal parasites, but also has an anti-inflammatory effect that soothes the intestines and helps with diarrhea in general, so even if it's purely stress-related it will help. Albon is the drug most used for coccidia, I believe. 

If his diet has changed recently that can cause diarrhea, but it doesn't sound like it has. Stress can also cause diarrhea. I'd definitely see what your vet has to say and be able to describe the consistency, color, shape, and smell of the stool (fun, I know) to help with the diagnosis. If you try the medications and still don't see any change, then I would look at his food. 

Feeding him exclusively one type of food would give you a better idea-for example if he has diarrhea when he eats the Friskies but not when he eats just, Friskies obviously doesn't agree with him! If his stomach is just really sensitive and doesn't like either, then I would gradually switch to a food with fewer ingredients. Wet food wouldn't be the cause of diarrhea more than a dry food, but maybe the ingredients in a specific wet food could. Actually, I'd go for wet food over dry food especially if he's having diarrhea to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated.  But definitely try whatever medications your vet recommends first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisareneeo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Molly.  His stool is very dark brown and very, very mushy (almost becoming liquid)

He is drinking lots of water thankfully and he has his first appointment with our family vet tomorrow morning.

He was on metronidazole (spelling??) for 5 days about a week and a half ago and that made it improve greatly.

That was given to him from the Humane Society where I was fostering from.

Maybe my vet will give him some more.....

Thanks again,

Lisa

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be giardia.  Ask your vet for the more detailed diarrhea panel.  Also, it could be the food and it could be too rich for his system.  Have you tried any canned kitten food?  I always like to give my kittens Royal Canin dry and canned food. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisareneeo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His dry food is kitten food but the canned is adult Fancy Feast Chicken original (no gravy etc...)

I will ask for a more detailed panel done. And I did take just a stool sample to the vet yesterday (and to the Humane society when this first happened) and both said no parasites but maybe they need to do a more detailed work up.

Thanks for your input, I will let you know what the vet says tomorrow.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you consider feeding him kitten food in wet and dry?  He is so young, and the nutritional needs are quite different.  I also agree that it could be giardia.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelter i adopted my kitty from said cats like the taste of fancy feast but might give some cats diarrhea. Maybe you should try a better brand? Nutro naturals, weruva, tiki, pride..etc.