8 week old kitten

ilovemykitty311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitten is about 8 weeks now and he's completely nuts. How do we teach him "no" but still let him be playful? He's constantly biting us and jumping on us by latching on with his nails?

We got him from someone when he was only 6 weeks old. He was an orphan kitten abandoned by his mother and found under a porch at 3 weeks.

sleepzombie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Something that I saw on here and have been trying with my 8 week old kitten is this... if you CAN then give him a strong puff in the face when he does it. Repeat each time he tries and eventually he'll be put off and quit it. You can also make a loud sound, like a clap or slamming your hand down on the table and saying "NO" firmly. It should startle him out of it.

When he attacks your feet or your hands or anything you need to stop in your tracks, don't pull away or he'll think you're playing still. As you are stopping try the clap "NO" technique and he'll get the picture.

My older cat was taught that a sharp "TSSST" sound means no when he was a kitten so whenever we do it now he gives a bit of a jump and lays off what he was doing that was bad. So hopefully your boy will be able to learn that the CLAP "NO" means that he's done something he's not supposed to.

And as I've learnt with my own kitten... patience is key. They're babies still, so give them a chance to learn things.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That young might be a little hopeless... just redirection I believe is recommended. A little older we did the 'tsst' as well.

I like the 'tssst' as a warning, as it is a very unusual sound. "No" I think to most cats is just a variation of the "bla bla bla" we are constantly muttering.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

"No" I think to most cats is just a variation of the "bla bla bla" we are constantly muttering.
I agree! I have 8-week olds as well, and the "loud clap" and "no!" combination has not worked, AT ALL. The only thing that works for them is if I physically remove them and distract them from it.

I think it's because they're brothers and grew up with mom & siblings, then came as siblings to my house, so they are very, very confident.

Luckily they don't do too much that I want to stop them from (usually just getting in behind the TV and playing with wires, etc.) so the fact that it's difficult to discipline them hasn't caused too much trouble.

I've read a few other things, like filling a can with coins and shaking it at them. I might try that, as a pill bottle that I knocked over spooked them the other night, LOL!