8 Week Old Feral Kittens Disappeared

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My friend has a colony of 8-10 cats behind her apartment building that she and her neighbor take care of. I've gotten most of them fixed-- all the females, and most of the males. I got the last female fixed in April bc we knew she was pregnant, but she had already had her kittens when I trapped her. We put her right back out with her kittens and they showed up playing about 7 weeks later. For the past 2 weeks, they come out and play a bit behind the fence (behind the apartment complex). But they haven't come down to the porch area yet to eat with their Mom. My plan was/is to trap them (drop trap) as soon as they have an established routine eating with their Mom.

Well, after seeing them consistently for a couple weeks, the kittens haven't been around playing for the past few days. There are a TON of places they could be -- an entire empty back lot for the cat colony that we can't even access. There have been a couple new tom cats showing up, and I know that can make a mother cat hide her kittens. Should I be worried they haven't been seen? The colony is healthy and has plenty of space to hang out safely-- and has regular food-- so I'm surprised they're suddenly not around any more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hang in there! I think you're right, Mom cat may have moved them to ensure they'd be away from the new male cats.
I'm hoping so! The mother is still around-- lounging and sleeping on the deck, even! She better have those babies tucked someplace safe!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she's that relaxed, she's confident in where they are. You are able to see that she's still nursing?

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My friend who feeds them says she's still eating a ton, so hopefully that means she's still nursing them! There are 3 kittens in total, and our vet tech is taking them to find them homes!

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens are out playing again but they still aren't eating with their Mom. They're going to be so hard to trap if they don't start eating with her!