8 Week Old Climbing Tree

ndl1324

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'm looking for advice. I know cats will be cats, but my little smokey, who is 8 weeks old, will not stop climbing my pear tree.
She IS an outdoor cat, her and mommy cat, because we are not allowed to have another animal in the rental house. She just learned to climb the tree today. The highest she has reached is about 15 feet. She done it 2 times which I went and got her as soon as I seen her. The 3rd time I was going to see how she acted if I wouldn't climb up and get her. Well she sat up there for about 20 minutes and started crying. So kind hearted me went and got her down again. Her mommy just sits there at the base of the tree and meows at her.
I finally got her back on the porch and let her chase the laser pointer around and I guess that took her mind off of the tree. I know she needs to learn, definitely because she's an outdoor cat, but I just couldn't stand to go out and find her dead because she fell 20-25 ft to the ground . So anybody have any advice?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s really, really not safe for a tiny kitten to be outside at all, let alone climbing trees. Is there a possibility that you could rehome her to a shelter or friend where she can be inside?

Is mom spayed now? Do you need help finding a low cost clinic in your area?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might look into a wire "collar" that would fit around the trunk of the tree, a few feet up off of the ground. Check lawn and garden centers, or contact an arborist. The disadvantage of this is that your cats will have nowhere to go if a dog comes into the yard, so make sure they have some sort of safe haven!