8 Week Foster Not Eating

stephfae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, just to preface, we've been to the vet.

I have an 8 week old foster kitten. Cutest thing you've ever seen. Monday night she started throwing up, frequently. I gave her very small doses of cerenia and mitrapazine that I had on hand. That stopped the vomiting and she was nursing too. The next day I weighed her and she had lost enough weight that we started forced feedings. By that evening she had gained the weight and some more back. She also didn't mind the forced feedings. Wednesday she had lost weight again and was hating the forced feedings. She threw up once that evening and had some slight diarrhea. I did some research and found that forced feeding isn't really recommended anymore. I also had my foster coordinator get an appt with the vet the next day.

The vet did a fecal, which was negative for worms and giardia. The vet said that her stomach was tense, but they couldn't find any other issues. They sent us home with metoclopramide and gabapentin. I asked about more appetite stimulant and they told me she was too young.

It is now another day and she has lost another ounce, threw up what looked like curdled milk this morning and still is not eating solids. (she must have nursed a bit for the throw up to look the way it did). She does have energy this morning, as opposed to the last few days.

Any ideas? Should I push for tube feeding, an appetite stimulant, a second opinion? Wait a tad longer?

9537CBD1-7B82-43FC-8373-D25B80D5B338.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephfae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
She absolutely needs to eat. What are you giving her for food?
I have royal canin mother and babycat dry out all the time. I have also been blending the same brand pate with 20% water and topping with fortiflora.

stephfae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've just put in a call to the vet and if I don't like what they say I'll try another vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would give unflavored pedialyte with a syringe a few times a day for the electrolytes, or use it instead of water when blending.

The fact she has energy today is a good sign. Perhaps it was a viral infection that is now passing. I would see how she does the next 24 hours. If she continues to improve you can wait on seeing another vet.

She is darling! Keep us posted!

S stephfae

stephfae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet was very helpful. Flick got some sub q fluids (they also taught me how to do them) and an antibiotic shot. He also told me to discontinue the gabapentin and metoclopramide. They taught me a gentle way to force feed and gave me some recovery wet food. So far, she's seeming pretty decent. Fingers crossed she'll be eating on her own tomorrow. If not, the initial vet plans to do an ultrasound. I'm actually starting to wonder if she has a UTI. I had vague memories of her going in and out of the litterbox and squeaking before this all started. The only thing is that she never had a fever.