8 week Bengal male

bellacorae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my Bengal kitten for 3 weeks now. He was eating very well and suddenly he stopped eating. I hear their stomachs can tune inside out when switching food. It this true. Do I need to worry? He's gotten sick a few times and it just white mucus. Any ideas?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've had my Bengal kitten for 3 weeks now. He was eating very well and suddenly he stopped eating. I hear their stomachs can tune inside out when switching food. It this true. Do I need to worry? He's gotten sick a few times and it just white mucus. Any ideas?
You arent very precise, but I strongly suspect this is an asap vet errand.  Do you have access to a good vet?

This with stomach isnt true, BUT your source probably meant they can throw up when swithching food.  Which may be true, although its seldom that violent.

Please continue to describe what exactly is happening, and the background.   Look up where you do have this vet....

If you changed food recently, go back to the food which worked.

Otherwise, try with  kmr, kitten mothermilk replacement,  OR goats milk.  Whichever is easiest to get at your place.

Be sure he isnt dehydrated.  There are receipts for homemade pedialyte, but bought pedialyte is good too, esp unflavored pedialyte for babies.

jayjaylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You say the kitten is 8 weeks and you've had him for 3 weeks ?  so he was taken away from his mother at 5 weeks?

If thats the case, sorry but thats WAY too young. Bengals wean later than other cats generally.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I got the same question via PM, and here are the follow up PM:

"Do you have access to a good vet?

bellacorae
Today at 10:55 pm

Yes I do. I also have a 10 month female Maine Coon, that was just fix this past Saturday. My male Leonardo, try's to nurse off her. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the stitches Bitsy has. Resolving.

bellacorae
Today at 11:31 pm

That should be desolving stitches

StefanZ
Today at 11:42 pm

I dont know about if desolwing stitches may be poisonous.  Phone the vet.  OR ask on the forum.   But if she has perhaps a tiny infection with bacteria and pus, and he got it in himself...

As said, if he is bad, dont guess, contact your vet."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellacorae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I just pick up some pedialyte. Gave very small amount. He got sick on it. Waited 20 mins.. Gave another dose. It's staying down. But now he has the runs. Will be taking him to the vet. Poor lil guy. [emoji]128546[/emoji]

jayjaylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

What has he been eating since you got him ? Is he eating the same as what the breeder fed him?

I am very concerned that any bengal breeder would let a kitten go at 5 weeks old. He won't have finished

weaning from his mum and is why he's trying to feed off your other cat.

Bengal kittens have often only just started to eat food at that age and are still very much dependent on their mum's.

Good bengal breeders don't let them go until 13 weeks old and in fact that is a condition of being in the Bengal Cat Club

as a breeder. You could have all sorts of problems both physically and mentally with him leaving his mum so early.

I'm not blaming you, i'm just concerned about breeders doing this.

Bengal kittens can have very dodgy tummies but i agree with others that he needs to go the vet especially

with " white mucus" coming up.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I just pick up some pedialyte. Gave very small amount. He got sick on it. Waited 20 mins.. Gave another dose. It's staying down. But now he has the runs. Will be taking him to the vet. Poor lil guy. [emoji]128546[/emoji]
Pedialyte is good when they have much fluid and electrolye losses when throwing up and having diarehea.

If he throws up when he eats or drinks, there is a trick to cheat the stomach: give just a few drops at a time, but quite often.  This way the stomach never registers there is any fluid oncoming.... And he can keep the pedialyte.

This tip works nicely for humans too.

bellacorae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pedialyte is good when they have much fluid and electrolye losses when throwing up and having diarehea.

If he throws up when he eats or drinks, there is a trick to cheat the stomach: give just a few drops at a time, but quite often.  This way the stomach never registers there is any fluid oncoming.... And he can keep the pedialyte.

This tip works nicely for humans too.
Thank you so much. Kept the same food from breeder, and slowly switched. I agree with taking from mother to soon. But supposedly the mum quit nursing. So I've been mum. Love this little guy. He has been getting the best of care.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Even after they stop nursing, the kittens should remain with mom and the rest of their litter.

I agree about trying small amounts of liquid often so long as he's not getting sick still.

bellacorae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
  What has he been eating since you got him ? Is he eating the same as what the breeder fed him?
  I am very concerned that any bengal breeder would let a kitten go at 5 weeks old. He won't have finished
 weaning from his mum and is why he's trying to feed off your other cat.
Bengal kittens have often only just started to eat food at that age and are still very much dependent on their mum's.
Good bengal breeders don't let them go until 13 weeks old and in fact that is a condition of being in the Bengal Cat Club
 as a breeder. You could have all sorts of problems both physically and mentally with him leaving his mum so early.
I'm not blaming you, i'm just concerned about breeders doing this.

Bengal kittens can have very dodgy tummies but i agree with others that he needs to go the vet especially
 with " white mucus" coming up.
Ok, here's an update, Leonardo is in fact 10 weeks at this time. I've had him for 3 weeks. He's been to the vet. X-rays were taken. They gave him fluids. And now he's on some meds. Vet is thinking some kind of parasite. There is nothing lodged in his intestines. Maybe some constipation. Keeping an eye on him.

Last edited by a moderator: