8 Month Old Cats Peeing Everywhere

camilagzlez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

First time poster here. This is a great site!

I have had my male kittens for 5 months and they are the greatest cats - so lovable and kind and generally stress free. They're also not neutered. The problem is that they're peeing everywhere.

This started about a month ago when I noticed my house smelled strongly of pee. I cleaned it up and went about my day. It then started happening so frequently and I don't know what to do.

They're so great about using their litter box but they pee on my clothes, my comforter, couches, just anywhere they can get their paws on.

I don't think it's an attention problem. I work from home and spend all day with them on top of me. I just can't stand the pee anymore. I also never catch them doing it so I can't correct their behavior.

Is this them just marking their territory and once it's set they're fine? Because peeing on my bed is the last straw and it's making me so upset with them. I love them so much, I just can't deal with the pee.

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're also not neutered.
There's your problem. This is what tomcats do. Get them neutered, soon! That should take care of the problem, after a month or so to give the hormones time to leave their bodies.

You also have to clean the marked areas with a good enzyme cleaner so they don't feel like remarking it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Welcome to TCS!!
Here are a couple more bits of info;
You'll want to pick up a black light to be sure you get all the areas including walls and such - be sure and read the reviews as I understand some of them are definitely better than others.
Also,
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions

And here's a short thread discussion of cleaners that gives a list of products;
Anyone Had Luck With Scoe10x Enzyme Cleaner For Cat Pee?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry your kittens have started spraying.

It usually best to get them neutered before they start spraying. Getting them neutered now will hopefully stop their spraying. It will, for sure, get rid of the strong urine scent you are smelling around your house.

Here's the TCS articles that should cover your questions on neutering:

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?
Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery

Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

And definitely get an enzyme cleaner to clean anywhere they've sprayed, otherwise they will still smell the urine scent and may continue to mark the same places.