8-month Introductions: Best Frenemies Forever?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So I have mentioned in a few posts about my long cat introduction, having Olive join Trin and Gohan. Trin's intro to her seemed standard: hissing, swatting and chasing from Trin that gradually decreased and will occasionally flare up now and again. Gohan was different. It was about a month of staring and avoidance, 6 months of intense chasing from him, and about a month of truce and staring again. We never had a true cat fight (thankfully), only some tackles and one or two accidental scratches.

Where we are now is Olive freely goes anywhere in the house except upstairs. Upstairs is still new territory and she is nervous, and based on all the chasing she is wary of Gohan. She will creep around and explore a little, and run to the bathroom which is safest. She is always on the lookout for Gohan, and will either run away from him if she has access, or hunker down and tensely watch (and sometimes growl). He basically ignores her for the most part or watches.

Yesterday, my BF and I were watching tv in the basement, which has been her safe room. Gohan was avoiding this room for months, and now he feels confident walking around and jumping on the couch next to the BF. She was on the coffee table chilling, and Gohan came in and jumped at her. She ran and was chased for a little bit, and then they were cool. Later there was another incident where Gohan was walking past her upstairs and she was on a step. He ignored her completely and gave him a nice swat to his leg.

I'm not concerned about any of these "fights". I can tell they are definitely not play, but rather a way to establish a pecking order and finding out boundaries. From what I can tell there have not been any claws, neither cat is very stressed (beyond a slight hypervigilance) and no one is being bullied.

My question is: Has anyone had this type of long introduction and continued antagonism and the cats were actually friends and not just neutral? I feel like we are headed for neutral, but of course I am hoping for some level of friendship. Gohan gets groomed by Trin, and they are fairly chummy. Olive used to have another kitty she would hang out with before we adopted, so I know neither are "only cats". Just wanted to know if there are success stories out there ...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many, many, many cats never get past "peaceful coexistence." They just don't have the need for real companionship. However, that does NOT mean that they don't benefit from the simple presence of another cat in the home, even if they aren't "best buds." You are doing just fine, no matter which outcome. But, to directly answer your question, the longest I've seen an introduction go with the cats ending up actual friends was right around the one-year mark.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Many, many, many cats never get past "peaceful coexistence." They just don't have the need for real companionship. However, that does NOT mean that they don't benefit from the simple presence of another cat in the home, even if they aren't "best buds." You are doing just fine, no matter which outcome. But, to directly answer your question, the longest I've seen an introduction go with the cats ending up actual friends was right around the one-year mark.
Thanks, and I know there is no guarantee they will be friends. Both are fairly active and I had initially hoped they would make good playmates. But Olive is a goofy and chaotic kitty, and Gohan always seems so serious. So while their energy matches, maybe not their personalities.

A year, though, means there is still hope! Lol

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After 3 years, Rocky the fluffy 9 year old will still growl/hiss at streamlined 3 year old whirlwind Clyde if he jumps on her or looks at her when she isn't in the mood...BUT the other day the wife saw them playing, and claims that Rocky was actually whooping Clyde good and fun was had by all. After 3 years. I've still not see them play for more than a minute myself, and never the full out play wrestling she claims to have seen. We'll see!

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks A ArtNJ ! Before I realized that we wouldn't have integration for months, I had this daydream of coming home and seeing them snuggle, lol. Still not sure they aren't doing all this to con more treats from us ...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's actually possible...I've heard many "experts" say they don't think like that, but empirical evidence seems to indicate that they are perfectly capable of subterfuge in a good cause!

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Olive would probably amputate a limb if it meant she could have more food ...