8 Kitties, 12 hour road trip - Advice please!

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend Chris is excited to be moving to her new home in North Carolina, but she is understandably worried about getting her 8 adult cats there.  It's a long ride from New Jersey, and she'll be renting a van to transport the cats.  A friend will be driving down with her to help.  They will all be staying overnight at another friend's house once they get to NC since Chris will not be able to get into her new place immediately.

What can she do to make the cats as comfortable as possible (and what should she avoid?)

One of the cats is a young male with limited vision.  Of all the things Chris is moving, her 4-legged babies are most important. 
 How can she make a very long ride less stressful and safe for them?

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I took six cats to a show one time that was a 9-hour drive away. I have two medium sized wire dog crates that fit in the back of my car. I can put 2 or 3 cats in each crate, depending on their size and how well they get along. I hang a corner shelf in the crate to give them extra space, but as often as not I see all of them curled up together under the shelf. I know a lot of show people travel long distances with their cats in individual carriers without any problem.

I do drape a sheet or light-weight blanket over the cages to make the kitties feel more secure, and to protect them from the sun coming through the car windows. Just leave one side or end open so they can see out.

If the drive is more than 4-5 hours your friend might want to offer the kitties food and water when she takes a driving break. (Don't worry if they don't eat. Mine generally ignore food and water while traveling.) She could also set up a litter pan for them. Hopefully the van is big enough that she can let them out of the cages/carriers without opening the van doors or windows.

How soon is she moving? Is there time for her to take the kitties (two or three at a time) for test drives? Put them in their carriers and drive them around for a little while, then go back home where it's safe. That way they'll get used to the idea that a car ride does not always end up at the vet's.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I've never had a cat use a litterbox or eat or drink on a road trip, no matter how long. One peed on her blanket, but that was a 17-hour plane trip + airport time + driving time, so she was in the carrier nearly 24 hours. Her sister didn't even pee in her carrier.

The more often they're let out of the carriers, the higher the chances for something bad to happen. So I'd just pop them in carriers, individually or in pairs (depending how they get along), and not let them out the entire time. Of course a safe room should be set up for them when they get to the new house, so they don't feel overwhelmed by having the whole house to roam in. Keep the radio on for them, prferably soothing classical music. And if your friend has any talkative kitties, she might want some earplugs :lol3:.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It took almost three years of showing before my cats even started eating at a show. Mostly they just sleep during the travel time; no eating, drinking, or pooping. And no, I don't let them out of the carriers or cages until we're safely in the hotel room. Even then they have to explore the room thoroughly before they show any interest in food or litter boxes.

4catsncounting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Am I crazy or did I see somewhere a Feliway diffuser for the car - plug into the cigarette lighter?  I'm probably mis-remembering that.

Anyway, she can always buy the Spray Bottle, and mist the van thoroughly, and repeat half-way through the trip.

(Feliway is a phermone-calming product, apparently it has some decent results with nervous cats, and cats with destructive habits.)

Last edited:

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
Am I crazy or did I see somewhere a Feliway diffuser for the car - plug into the cigarette lighter?  I'm probably mis-remembering that.

Anyway, she can always buy the Spray Bottle, and mist the van thoroughly, and repeat half-way through the trip.

(Feliway is a phermone-calming product, apparently it has some decent results with nervous cats, and cats with destructive habits.)
not exactly crazy. you can just get an inverter for your cigarette lighter and plug the diffuser right into that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to thank everyone who replied. 

I've passed on all of your advice to Chris, who will be making the trip with her 4-legged babies in 2 weeks.  She's still pretty nervous about it, but

your tips have helped.

BTW, Willowy, I hope your cats got some great treats after being in carriers almost 24 hours!!!

Thank you all again!