8 Kittens

Chevaunnejoelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey,

My cat lastnight had 8 beautiful little kittens, it's her first time and she's only just a year old.

The kittens all seem healthy but i am worried they don't get enough milk?
They never are crying or meowing super loud either which makes me think they are content? But I'm not sure so need some reassurance.

I'm gonna start weighing them tommorow and see how they go and buy some kitty milk just in case I see the ones who arnt being fed properly.

The kittens also twitch I read that this is normal?

And, the mumma will go eat her food and then just lay next to the box for a while...is that ok? The kittens have a heat mat so they should stay warm :-)

I just am so nervous some are going to die and it will just be heart breaking .

But yes what are the signs on a hungry kitten and am I doing everything ok?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Start weiging them aSap so you get a count

Momma seems good

You may need to rotate them

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With being such a big litter I would supplement the ones who weigh the least with kmr. Raw goats milk is very good too. Make sure mom has access to kitten food and wet food she will need it for taking care of so many! And you can even have her drink a small dish of kmr :) just stay away from the hartz brand.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Most cats have eight nipples, four on each side. I think 5-6 kittens should be able to nurse at one time, then the others will get to the milk after.

Definately start weighing them and supplement the too-skinny ones.

My cat had five kittens, and we found that the two boys always got to nurse last. I guess they were being gentlemen, or something like that :lol:. But the one boy we kept is now taller and longer than his sisters, probably around te same weight though, he is a bit thin. But healthy. I wouldn't worry unless they seen in poor shape or constantly meowing for milk.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How are things going with the kittens?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats have eight nipples, four on each side. I think 5-6 kittens should be able to nurse at one time, then the others will get to the milk after.

Definately start weighing them and supplement the too-skinny ones.

My cat had five kittens, and we found that the two boys always got to nurse last. I guess they were being gentlemen, or something like that :lol:. But the one boy we kept is now taller and longer than his sisters, probably around te same weight though, he is a bit thin. But healthy. I wouldn't worry unless they seen in poor shape or constantly meowing for milk.
Unfortunately, it does not always work out. The kittens that have to wait often get weaker and weaker, eventually stop fighting, and die. That’s why it’s essential to weigh on a daily basis to track that each kitten is thriving.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
How are they doing? It is essential to weigh and supplement and rotate them! You will certainly have runts!