8-9 week pregnant queen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acrab1211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No kittens yet. Still pushing. Her water broke about 15minutes ago. I'll post again once she has the kittens.

acrab1211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: 2 kittens so far!! Hydra did so well! The babies are feeding and she is doing her Mom job cleaning and all! I'll post pictures when I can!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad to hear that things are progressing nicely! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

acrab1211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! She had kitten number 3, 40minutes ago. All 3 kittens are doing wonderful and look just like mom! Mom is resting but I still see kittens moving around inside her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! Poor mom is taking a break. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

acrab1211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah she is exhausted! 4th kitten came about a half hour ago and she is resting again while the 4 feed. I think there may be 1 more in there. When #4 came out I felt a few kicks in her belly still. All healthy and happy so far!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news!  You can offer mom some food.  Don't let her eat anymore of the placentas.  More than 4 can give her diarrhea.

acrab1211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did offer her food, water and the kmr but she didn't want anything yet. I won't let her eat anymore of the placentas if she has anymore. Still just the 4.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So exciting!  I'm waiting on my foster girl to deleiver, too. Still in the waiting game. WTG, Hydra!    can't wait to see pics

acrab1211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!! She is such a great mama!!

Missalex!! That's awesome!!! Way to go Roxy!!! Can't wait to see pics!!!

Here's a picture from this morning of Hydra's 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

acrab1211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a question about how often I should change the bedding in the nesting box. Should that be a daily thing or weekly thing? Hydra is super protective over her babies so I don't want to move handle them more than I have to.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had a question about how often I should change the bedding in the nesting box. Should that be a daily thing or weekly thing? Hydra is super protective over her babies so I don't want to move handle them more than I have to.
At least twice a week. Many breeders do it daily.

If you can arrange for having a reserve nest nearby, including heating pad and preferably fleece  - lay over the kittens in the reserve bed, so its warm and comfortable for them so they wont protest, and momma sees they are nearby,  and when they are over, you change the bedding.

If she is very protesting, make just the alternative bedding and let it be.  So she moves herself with them, when she has got enough of the soil and smells.

nalaandsmokey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello acrab, I've followed your post for a few days. My queen Nala gave birth to 4 kittens yesterday also, first kitten came at 14:01 gmt and then 4th at 14:59. She did really well. She is only 11 months old.
We will be spaying her as soon as the kittens are weaned.
Nala did lovely yesterday & through the night, she laid with her kitties all night, she's in a Moses basket in my bedroom, with kitty litter & food & water in there too. Thing is this morning she is crying at the door and wanting to follow me around. The kittens are warm and curled up together. But ill be sat with her whilst she's feeding then as soon as I get up to leave she jumps up to follow me. I'm trying just to leave her alone to get on with it. Is it normal for queens to leave the kittens for s while, and how long is normal. To be fair she's not spent more than 15 mins away as I get her to follow me back but is it ok to let her roam the house and have a break. She cries if I close her in. How's Hydra doing? Is she the same? Any advice would be great.

missalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Roxy has also left the nest this morning to go for a stroll and eat. I'm sure it is a normal behaviour as long as they go back to the kittens. Roxy returned as soon as she heard her babies crying for her. I thought maybe moving her bin closer to where she was is what she wanted but she wasn't happy with that and brought her kittens right back to our closet. Im having a dilemma because her litter box is downstairs but she won't let me move her closer to it..and I don't have space for a litter box and my closet.. I'm guessing things will have to stay as they are for now since she won't let me move them but is okay with going out of the nest for a little

acrab1211

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From what I have read in other threads it's perfectly normal for the mama cat to stroll around for a little while as long as if the babies cry and she returns it should be okay. Congrats on your 4 kittens!! They are adorable!!

Hydra left her nest a few times just to eat and stroll around a little but hasn't stayed away from her babies for more then 10 minutes and hasn't gone to far from the nest(literally the room next door) I have her in our laundry room with a gate up so she can leave the area if she wants. She meows at me everytime I peek my head to check on her so I go give her some love and It seems that's what she wanted. I think with hydra she just needs some extra love to let her know she's doing a good job. She also aloud me to weigh the kittens(of corse with a little protest) and they are all healthy weights. 4.0,3.9,3.8 and 3.7 ounces yesterday. I'll weigh them again today to make sure they are gaining the weight they should.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes new moms a day or two to settle in.  Can you sit with her and give her some attention while she is with her kittens.