7 Year Old Neutered Male is a Pesterer

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oscar is a real bundle. He's a big and muscular mackerel tabby, massive paws and claws, massive fangs, huge eyes, beautiful coat and a unique personality. He's genuinely sweet natured, loyal, cuddly when he's willing to be, a bit aloof at times, a bit shy at times, doesn't like change, loves routine. He's not the smartest cat, but he's cunning in certain situations. I let him outside half the year (I know) and he never wanders very far. Typically just flops on the deck or on the (no cars part) of the gravel driveway where he loves to roll around.

I've lived in 5 different homes since I adopted him in 2017. A lot of upheaval. 3 of those homes I kept him indoors full time for safety. Our current set up is pretty ideal for him. We are set back from the road, but the road is fairly busy and loud enough to make him not ever even go in front of the house. So he stays in the back. Our back yard abuts a steep, thick brush-covered drop down to a railroad, which keeps him close to the back of the house.

There aren't many natural routes away from our area that are attractive to cats, nor many routes in for predators, who avoid our area. He's always in well before dark, and out well after dawn.

Even if he's outside all day, in the evening he'll pester me to be let out again. A relentless pestering. Or he'll just stare at me from a foot away or pace around the room. He generally has a very hard time settling down and just chilling out. When he does finally settle down, it has to be because I've lied down on the couch or in bed. If I'm at my desk or table, he will not leave me alone. I feel like he kind of pushes me around! :D

I try not to respond to his whining. But sometimes I can't help but yell "NO!" or "SHUT UP!", and clap my hands or stomp my foot so he goes away. Sometimes that works, but it's not ideal, is it? Not good for either of us.

Not sure how to change this behavior that has been going on for over a year. I feed him, give him fresh water, lavish him with affection and I initiate playtime with him which he ignores 70% of the time.

Any suggestions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How did/does Oscar handle the change from indoor/outdoor to indoor only for each half of a year? How did he do when he was indoor only for those 3 years? Is this a new routine once again with your newest location? Do his demands on you change any? Just curious what he was/is like then?

I think this indoor/outdoor change thing has 'fed the beast', so to speak. Ever consider a catio/cat enclosure where he could go in and out at any time of the day/night?

And, no, IMO, yelling at a cat usually does damage to the relationship as they really do not know what the ruckus is all about. They just know they want something - whatever it is - and the response is, in a manner of speaking, 'hostile' and confuses the cat even more. If they could only talk, but they can't...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first got him, it was clear that he loved being outside and he tried to escape all the time. So "The Beast" was already ravenous, unfortunately. When I first let him out at a new home, he was so happy and grateful. Cats do express their gratitude.

When the frigid temps set in, he made no moves to the door. Perfectly content to stay warm indoors.

Ended up moving to a place where I didn't feel safe about letting him out. Too many predators like bears, foxes, coyotes, bobcats and fishers. And he was totally ok with being indoors only again, even in warm weather.

The dynamic now is he goes out during the day and comes inside at 6 or earlier. But part of the problem is I'm in the second floor apartment of a shared house. The downstairs isn't my apartment, but in order to come and go, I have to walk through a hallway and room, and so does Oscar, who loves being down there and spending time with my housemate. So it's not only that he wants to go outside, but he wants to go downstairs and probably doesn't understand why I don't usually let him.

He loves having options. Ive never seen that expressed so vividly by a cat before, it's interesting.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Is an outside catio an option?

Can you work something out with your downstairs neighbor so Oscar can go visiting, safely?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think, given the lifestyle the two of you have collectively established for him likely means he will always be a pesterer. It is part of what he feels are his options, if you will. I think him pestering you is in the hopes that you will allow him to expand his options even more.

You can ask the housemate about letting Oscar downstairs more often, and perhaps they will be amenable to this. But it could turn out that Oscar pesters this person when he is down there for some outdoor time at night. Will they let him out? Will he wear out his welcome with them? Then what?

I am sure Oscar does have gratitude for you, he lives a pretty unencumbered and good life. But freedom/options can come with some costs - one of those costs is, as you said yourself, he pushes you around. I don't think you have much choice but to ignore his persistence if you don't really want to expand his options beyond what they are now.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A weird thing that finally worked for me was going over to the door, picking up my cat and moving him to the couch. It took some time.

I also tell him, "look. It's night. We don't go out at night."

It took some time to train him.