7 Year Itch & mid life crisis-- are they real?

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't remeber fo r the life of me were I heard this but it made me think and is relevant.

50 is now the new 40
40 is now the new 30
30 is now th enew 20

I think with humans constantly triing to relive something or ssct ou at any age this theory makes sence. It would also explain why some people are experiencing mid life crisis' at younger ages. I believe it to be more of a mental and emotional thing then a physical.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

I will have to disagree, I do not believe 7 year itch exist in men. It is an excuse that women made up for their inability to treat their men well. An excuse for their inabilities to look inward at what they have done that might have contributed to this so called "7 year itch" in their men. Men are simple animals, you treat them well, they will always come back to you. Give them plenty of food and sex and they will have a purring competition with our cats. Who wants to come home to a cold, sexless, b*$&@y (excuse the language), mean and nagging wife? No one. Thus, in my opinion, it does not exist. It is more of a causal and effect situation. I know many people will disagree or
with the my opinions, but it is just my 2 cents.
You could be right. If we wait on our husbands and cater to their every whim, they are so happy and easy to live with. I'm a great cook so hubby is very happy. But I have to say that after working all day, getting home an hour later than hubby and finding him watching TV or having a nap in front of the TV waiting for me to get home to make dinner because he's hungry, I absolutely do get b*$&ay. Then after I make the dinner, serve it, clean up the dishes and kitchen, empty the litter trays, clean up the bathroom (he or our daughter has had a shower and left everything in a mess so it needs to be done nightly), put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher (this I have to do every hour during the evening pretty much since both hubby and daughter snack and put the dirty dishes in the sink beside the dishwasher - I've offered to give lessons on how to get that dang thing open but so far nobody is taking me up on it), and the other chores, I'm just not feeling very "sexy" - go figure! Now, if he pitched in and helped or heaven forbid just picked up after himself so I wouldn't have to, then who knows how "agreeable" I might be feeling. I saw a cute joke recently about a guy who comes home, the kids aren't dressed, his wife is in bed reading in her pajamas, the house is a total mess - he asks her what is wrong. She says nothing, how was your day? He asks again if something is wrong - she says, "you know how you ask me every day what I do all day? Well, today I didn't do it!".

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

I will have to disagree, I do not believe 7 year itch exist in men. It is an excuse that women made up for their inability to treat their men well. An excuse for their inabilities to look inward at what they have done that might have contributed to this so called "7 year itch" in their men. Men are simple animals, you treat them well, they will always come back to you. Give them plenty of food and sex and they will have a purring competition with our cats. Who wants to come home to a cold, sexless, b*$&@y (excuse the language), mean and nagging wife? No one. Thus, in my opinion, it does not exist. It is more of a causal and effect situation. I know many people will disagree or
with the my opinions, but it is just my 2 cents.
How about the MAN treating his wife well? During the 12 years that we were together, my ex and I traveled, performed in shows, bought each other silly gifts and cards and had what I thought was a great sex life. I nursed him through his first heart attack and subsequent angioplasty. I even learned how to drive the antique fire trucks, that he bought. When HE failed to pay the mortgage and lost our house, I STILL stuck by him.

I wasn't the one, who was trolling the Internet for kinky sex - I was working a full-time job and actively contributing to maintain our household. Since I got home, at around 1:30 in the afternoon, we had plenty of time to spend together. Instead of pitching in, around the house, my RETIRED husband was surfing the Net, looking for someone to act out his violent fantasies with.

Treating one's man well doesn't ALWAYS work.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I think that your objection is valid but the relation is the low percentage of mid life crisis divorces. It is the age of equality, women no longer serve, honor, and obey only man. We to have a voice, a right, a contribution, a responsibility toward our needs as well.
IMO, men and women are not and probably will never be equal. The age of equality does not exist. Men and women are different biologically, and are not equal politically. Thus, the age of equality does not exist. If both sexes are truly equal, we will see closer percentage of workers in construction, closer percentage of secretarial jobs, closer percentage of engineers...etc.

I agree with you that women does not have to serve men. However, a wife/husband should honor their marriage vows which includes honor, protection, encouragement, care...etc. It is the responsibility toward each other. I believe it is spouses' job everyday to think how one can make the other spouse's day easier, and better. Rather than, " Ok, it is not my responsibility to do this today. Or, can you see I am busy with the kids, don't bother me." One will get much more in return than he/she can imagining. Little things count. Does one really need to keep scores in a marriage? That defeats the purpose of the marriage and your vows.

I would like to clarify something from my previous post. I have left out that it only applies to reasonable men. Drunks, jerks, psychos...etc do not apply as they are already messed up any sensible things ANYONE does for them is meaningless.

This is for discussion only, do not take it personal. Just expressing my opinions here on the wonderful TCS. I am not trying to start a war or trying to win a argument but rather a healthy, constructive discussion.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In May, it will be 10 years that Shawn and I have been married.We have been together for 12.
I do think that both are possible.But, I also think it has to do with the strength of commitment that you BOTH have to the relationship that determines if there IS a 7 year itch.
During our 7 year of marriage, he had lost his Dad.I think that going through that together only strengthened our relationship.Then I lost mine in 2005, so it got even stronger.