7 y.o. siblings vomiting - refusing food

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Blue Buffslo often puts flaxseed in their products and flaxseed causes cyanide poisoning. Please see my post on this. Two other companies I found puts yucca in their products and it is listed on the poison pet hotline. See my post on this. Additionally my nutrition vet said to stay away from food that has tricalcium phosphate or dicalcium phosphate in it. Purina and Royal Canin conducted research and found the phosphate picks up minerals and deposits them in the kidneys causing markers in the cats’ blood indicating kidney damage. Additionally I found research on sodium tripolyphosphates indicating that if most of the phosphorus is sourced from this it enters the bloodstream too fast and can then cause kidney damage from too high of a phosphorus level. I found all this and alerted companies and they are not changing their formulas. It is maddening!!! Additionally I try to find a cat food with a lower amount for phosphorus in it as once your kittens are fully grown they won’t need much. I am shooting for a dry matter basis of phosphorus of near 1 or a little less than 1 for my 2 year old cat. I think your cats need to go in right away. There are ER facilities in local animal shelters and call the ASPCA or Humane Society. They can all help you. Don’t wait. Your cats might need a slow drip of fluid to help flush out the toxins. Sending prayers!
Heat destroys the enzyme responsible for cyanide production. Most cat foods are cooked at high temperatures.
The issue would be flax in the low temperature cooked foods. :)
How Much Ground Flaxseed Can Animals Safely Eat | Nutraceutical Alliance

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have you seen the vet yet? I would no longer think this is food related at all. Either they got into something or the caught a virus of some sort. It doesn’t matter now. What matters is that they both sound critical at this point. I would not be getting a cat with a 96 temp wet. Cats have a hard time regulating body temperatures when wet. Is there no emergency hospital you can drive them to?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sebseb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi everyone.
unfortunately at 8 08 a.m. my girl, Ginger, passed away. i had just woken up and went looking for her and found her in the bath tub. she was still alive, but only for ten minutes.

cw pet death, descriptive:

i found her lying in the bath tub. i rubbed her back to stimulate her, and she got up and made a feeble attempt to jump out. she made it as far as the edge of the bed before falling over, yet again she stood up and finally collapsed behind the open door.
i believe by now, she was blind. within a minute she began thrashing her limbs and her tail puffed, as if she was trying to run. she ceased after a minute, and began to vomit. the sound was gut wrenching, I've never heard anything so loud. my dog began to cry, and the cats, who were watching, scurried out of the room. it was louder than hearing a human try to vomit. i covered my ears but i could still hear her. she passed away soon after.
i bathed her body and took prints of her nose and paws for my brother, who is currently away serving in the military. she was his cat. she felt so light.

admin, i ask that you please leave this thread open. right now im with Garfield waiting to be seen by the vet.

sebseb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Have you seen the vet yet? I would no longer think this is food related at all. Either they got into something or the caught a virus of some sort. It doesn’t matter now. What matters is that they both sound critical at this point. I would not be getting a cat with a 96 temp wet. Cats have a hard time regulating body temperatures when wet. Is there no emergency hospital you can drive them to?
there is no emergency vet where i live, only daytime clinics. wait times are over three hours

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for what happened to Ginger. This sounds like some sort of poisoning. Where is Ginger's body now? Ask the vets if it would be of any benefit for them to examine her.

If you have someone at home, get those kittens, and any other cats, isolated to a single room where they can be monitored until more information can be obtained on what Ginger and Garfield might have ingested. This is much more than them getting into kitten kibble.

sebseb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for what happened to Ginger. This sounds like some sort of poisoning. Where is Ginger's body now? Ask the vets if it would be of any benefit for them to examine her.

If you have someone at home, get those kittens, and any other cats, isolated to a single room where they can be monitored until more information can be obtained on what Ginger and Garfield might have ingested. This is much more than them getting into kitten kibble.
shes isolated in a room. shes in the tub, i have her wrapped up in a shirt with a bag of ice next to her. i do plan to ask if a necropsy wil tell us her cause of death, and if it will help with diagnosing Garfield. everything was done in a rush because we wanted to get Garfield to the vet as soon as possible. right now no one is home, its just the three of us waiting he r e at the vet

sebseb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
temp is 103.3. gi and respiratory tracts are clear. blood panel showed that it is a bacterial infection; his alanine is at 314 (29-100 range), glucose is at 180 (70-150), TP is 9 (5.4-8.2), and his liver is at 1440 (300-1100).
gar got a strong antibiotic injection and hes also gonna take denamarin daily for probably 60+ days to help his liver. hes immediately going on a new diet to help his liver too, Hills senior something. we're going back in five days for another injection and again in 60 or 30 for a blood panel.

sebseb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
103.3 F/ 39.6 C

sebseb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
im on my way home now. I'll isolate Gar and give him his med and new food. I'll probably have to bathe Ginger again and then work on her memorial. i bought plaster, a shadow box, and some other items.

sebseb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mentally i cant continue to speculate about her. it killed her, whatever it was and now i want to let her rest. she didnt deserve it, but i only have so much money and right now im the only one caring for her. i dont know if that makes me a bad cat dad, but i love her, and shes not with me anymore. we do plan to get the older cats in for their vaccines sometime soon.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
mentally i cant continue to speculate about her. it killed her, whatever it was and now i want to let her rest. she didnt deserve it, but i only have so much money and right now im the only one caring for her. i dont know if that makes me a bad cat dad, but i love her, and shes not with me anymore. we do plan to get the older cats in for their vaccines sometime soon.
That's for the best for now. Just focus on what you can fix. 💕

Sanitize what you can at home. Water and food dishes, litter boxes, etc. For food and water dishes if they are not plastic you can boil some water and then pour the boiled water over top.

For litter boxes I clean them out and then use Lysol bathroom cleaner or Lysol without bleach. Bleach and urine can make mustard gas, so never use bleach on litters.

You can dilute the Lysol and use on your floors too. Whatever the directions on the Lysol bottle says.

Keeping my hopes up for Garfield 💕

sebseb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i just had two siblings die a week apart. it symptoms were very similar to what yours have . it sounds like FVP. feline distemper
im so sorry for your loss. i have a cat that survived parvo after catching it when she was less than a year old. she showed no signs of it before. one morning we just found her laying flat on her side. for three days it felt like she was practically paralyzed, we had her secluded in a corner of a room with everything within a foot of her. we sanitized the house, gave her the parvo vax(when she was still sick) and thankfully none of the other cats caught it. shes five now.
garfields white blood cell count is high because of the infection, meanwhile parvo drops it very low.
S sebseb how are things progressing now with Garfield? I am so sorry that you have had to face all of this.
to be honest there hasnt been much change. he still isnt eating, and now hes dehydrated. thankfully he isnt hiding and is okay with me carrying him to the living room so he can stay by my side. it looks like hes sleeping better in a blanket on the sofa rather than squatted on the floor.
when gar goes back to the vet on tuesday (or monday if the vet receives the shot for his liver) i will not be able to go with him. its finals week and im gonna be testing till wednesday. I've instructed my dad to ask for an IV so gar gets rehydrated, and maybe something to bump his appetite if he doesnt eat by tonight or sunday. im debating on force feeding, but i dont know what. i dont want to give him honey water because his glucose is high, and kmr makes him gag (really anything does, but the smell is nauseating to him). debating on paté.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you ask the vet for an appetite stimulant like Mirataz which is rubbed on the ear pinna? It also comes in pill form if the vet thinks that would be okay. It would hopefully prevent any syringe feeding at home.

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
There are some tips to try to get a cat to eat in this thread. Garfield might be a little to ill to be willing to try some of them, but Gerber's baby food meats are often a help.