7 y.o cat has bone cancer

resepti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, the vet found bone cancer in my cat's shoulder blade. Since the first appearance of symptoms such as lameness, it has probably been a little more than 2 months. The doctor initially agreed to an amputation operation but refused at the last moment, then we began to look for another veterinarian and spent a lot of time on it. The cat had a second x-ray and as the vet said, he already had metastases in his lungs. Please tell me if it makes sense to do an amputation in such a situation. Should I look for another vet for a different opinion? My cat eats, drinks, goes to the toilet. It's just very strange, he was only 7 years old before that, there were no serious illnesses, there were no injuries, and how could he have metastases in the lungs in such a short time.Thank you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - I'm so very sorry, but I'm glad you're here.

Some of these move at a horribly fast rate, but I don't know if what your cat has is one of those.

Would your vet consider consulting with a university medical veterinary department, if that would provide any further information?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

resepti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - I'm so very sorry, but I'm glad you're here.

Some of these move at a horribly fast rate, but I don't know if what your cat has is one of those.

Would your vet consider consulting with a university medical veterinary department, if that would provide any further information?
She said that he had a few weeks left .. and he would need to put him sleep ... How do I know when this moment comes?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that you are facing this with your cat. Symptoms of cancers appear long after the cancer has developed, so it has had time to metastasize if it is a kind that quickly does that. You did not miss anything in your cat and could not have known that this was happening.

I had a dog who developed melanoma and before the surgeon would operate they insisted on a lung x ray to see if it had gone there. It had not, but I was told that if it had, they would not do the amputation. With bone cancer, it is the same; amputation is the first line of treatment if it is still possible.

There is both radiation and chemotherapy for bone cancer in animals; my dog had immunotherapy which is sort of the opposite of chemotherapy. Depending on where you are, you might try to contact a teaching hospital or specialized clinic and seek out a veterinary oncologist for another opinion. I am not sure that it will be different, but it might give you some peace of mind and answer some of your questions.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She said that he had a few weeks left .. and he would need to put him sleep ... How do I know when this moment comes?
We're not there and can't make the call for you. This is a decision that all cat guardians must bear the burden of alone. Remember, the time is when it's right for our cat. Not when it's right for us.

Never on their worst day.

We'll be here to help you make it through this tough time.