7 week old kittens won’t wean

Sem805

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m fostering 3 kittens and their mom. Two of the kittens express absolutely no interest in eating any kind of food. I’ve tried 2 different soft foods in variations of warm KMR or water. I’ve softened up kibble. Tried various dishes. I’ve been trying all of this since they were 4 and a half weeks old. Mom isn’t feeding nearly as much these days and is scheduled for her spay surgery next week. Not much weight gain happening but they’re not underweight. Any tips?

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From Weaning a Kitten from Mother’s Milk to Solid Food
The weaning process normally begins when kittens are around four weeks old, and is usually completed when they reach eight to ten weeks. If you are in charge of weaning an orphaned kitten, please remember that weaning should not be attempted at too early of an age. Generally, when a kitten’s eyes are open and able to focus, and he is steady on his feet, the introduction of solid food can safely begin.
The process typically takes between four and six weeks, with most kittens completely weaned by the time they’re eight to ten weeks old.

have you tried mixing KMR powder with some wet food like canned tuna for kittens?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In my experience, kittens wean best between 6 and 8 weeks old, and if given the option, will still nurse mom even after weaning if allowed, so they may need another week. They WILL eat when they get hungry enough!

Try putting a saucer of kitten formula down and stick their noses in it. Also try letting them lick some gruel from your finger. Once they do, put them in front of that plate. They will catch on soon!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some just take a little longer to wean. Give them time and they will get there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sem805

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I’ve tried all that you suggested (except for the tuna). I guess I’m just feeling the pressure since mom cat is being spayed next week. 😏

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom will still have milk, and the kitten will learn to eat! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sem805

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mom will still have milk, and the kitten will learn to eat! :)
I’m also on a deadline for adoption. The kittens are supposed to go out next week. Looks like I’m going to have to ask for an extension! 😁