7 week old kittens and fleas and giving Them up.

georgia95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, got two lovely kittens the weekend and Monday I spotted fleas on the lighter one. We didn't know what to do so kept them locked in kitchen dining area until we had vets on the Tuesday. I only bathed them twice and got probably 7 fleas in all. Vets treated them both with a spray, she gave them more pumps than it said... How ever tonight (Thursday) we spotted another flea on the lighter one, is this normal? It's been just over 48 hours? Meanwhile we brought rip fleas extra, we vacuumed living room and then sprayed on Tuesday after vets and did the same to the kitchen, stairs and upstairs last night. Today we sprayed where they sleep, 3 tiered tray thing they've took a liking to and their bedding. Chucked away vacuum bag and will vacuum again the weekend. Both kitchen and living room are hard floor tiled then wooden flooring. Stairs and upstairs are carpet but the kittens haven't been no where near. Today and yesterday they have been itching a bit, so after seeing one more flea today on one cat are we doing everything okay? Does it take a while for the fleas to die once on the kittens. I'm so confused :( also I am suffering from anxiety with this, it is really playing havoc with my mental health!
I am moving back out to uni in 2 weeks and I didn't think this through, my mom I'll be out all day from 7:30-5:30. They go places we don't want them to go, under the cooker and washing machine and we can't get them back out as it is all built in. They are stressing me and I don't feel happy when I go downstairs and see them? Should I give them back to the moms owner or the an animal rescue centre? Or stick it out, I feel if my heart isn't in it 100% then should I keep them.
Need some reassurance or help.
Thank you!!

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS

Fleas take a while to die out. You've done the right thing by vacuuming and getting them treatment. Now it's just a waiting game. The fleas you took off represent only a small percentage of the total that are probably hidden in the carpets, etc. When those are killed off, you have to wait for the eggs they had already laid to hatch and kill those as well. It will take a while.

Here are a couple of articles that you might want to check out if you haven't already:

[article="31635"]How To Treat Fleas In Young Kittens​[/article]  

[article="29664"]Cat Fleas​[/article]  

Please keep up the good work! I'm sure they're very grateful to have even one less flea on their backs.

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS

Fleas take a while to die out. You've done the right thing by vacuuming and getting them treatment. Now it's just a waiting game. The fleas you took off represent only a small percentage of the total that are probably hidden in the carpets, etc. When those are killed off, you have to wait for the eggs they had already laid to hatch and kill those as well. It will take a while.

Here are a couple of articles that you might want to check out if you haven't already:

[article="31635"]​[/article] 
 [article="29664"]​[/article] 

Please keep up the good work! I'm sure they're very grateful to have even one less flea on their backs.
Ditto...Every flea you kill is a step in the right direction!

rdtucci2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dont give up. You can block off the unwanted places or use a kitty playpen when you are away. I used mine for a few months at night. It was big enough for a blanket food and water dish and a litter box. They are only about $35. It was well worth it.