7-week-old kitten with giardia?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helbows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there!

Lydia went into the vet on... Thursday, I believe. The vet, who we've never seen before but seems pretty great, requested a stool sample that we'll be bringing in tomorrow. He brought up that perhaps she has a food allergy, which I can honestly see being the cause of all of her problems. I've always had this strange, underlying feeling that the food she's eating isn't settling with her, for whatever reason. This vet actually seemed to know which foods were good for kitties. He'll be checking for coccidia again, which I'm really, really hoping isn't the cause, because... well, it would majorly suck.

Right now, Lydia is getting small, tiny doses of both pumpkin and yogurt, which seems to be helping her. She's gaining weight at a steady rate, and has lost none, which tells me that she's doing well. I've decided to try to introduce canned food again, since I wasn't able to fully last time. I stopped trying for one main reason: I'm sort of confused as to how to do it. The answer is probably super obvious and I'm just overthinking things, but if I want to keep dry food in her diet until she's at least older so she has the option to get food whenever it's not meal time, how would I go about introducing canned food?

I'd REALLY like to have her be on a meal schedule, to control her weight and make it easier to time when to give her the little add-ons she gets. But I also know little baby kittens like her need to have food available whenever, since weight gain is so crucial to their development and all. So, how should I do it? Keep the dry food out and start out giving her small amounts of wet food, and increase as the days go by? Before, I was mixing it into her dry food, but I don't think I need to do that if it'll be separate. She loves the wet food anyway. More than she likes the dry food she has, in fact.

On the bright side, I've seen no blood! Her stool's gotten just slightly softer than what I'd like, but it's still formed and no where near diarrhea, so hey, good things! Maybe this is just the texture it should be at and I should stop trying to play vet... which is something I should stop doing anyway, actually. Hopefully I'll stop having to ask questions about small things and she'll be confirmed healthy.