7 uear old abused cat (agrrssive and scared.)

vannah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. So I just adopted a cat yesterday. I think she can be so sweet but once I brought her home with my family and other cats she got aggressive and will hide. (Scratch, hisses and yowels) I leave her be for now and gave her some tuna.
This will make you feel sick, but she was abused sexually by a human. It makes my stomach turn.
I need advice on how to help an abused car and help her to start getting comfortable here.
Any thoughts or suggestions? I know it'll take time, but advice would be nice so I know what to do with this sweet girl. Amethysts deserves a good home with us. Her previous owners she loved and was use to but they were moving and couldn't keep her anymore. So I know she can get comfortable.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS despite what brought you here. You are wonderful to take in this cat and she will soon love you too, as I am sure even now she can tell that you want the best for her.

Do you have a safe room for Amethysts to stay in away from the other cats? That is where she needs to be for now, and that would apply to any cat that is being brought into a new home, abused or otherwise. I think these articles might be helpful to you (see links below). I hope you were able to bring all of her possessions (water/food dishes, litter box, bedding, food that she has been eating, and toys) with her. Familiar things will help her adapt.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover - TheCatSite
Introducing Cats To Cats: The Expert's Guide To A Smooth Transition - TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, she really needs a safe room. I'd suggest blocking off areas in it, such as under beds, where she could hide, but give her an acceptable hiding spot...a box with something soft in it, for instance. Put everything she needs in that room, food, water, litter. Go in fairly frequently, but make NO demands on her. Sit quietly on the floor, talking with her or reading to her in a gentle tone of voice. Do not make eye contact at this point, as that can be seen as an aggressive stance. Cats are keep observers, and know that the sitting position means you can't move nearly so quickly, AND you are more on her level, not looming over her. I've even had people report that their problem kitties respond faster to outstretched legs than bent legs...slower to get up and move, I suppose. Other than that, time, time and more time. EVERYTHING will have to be on her schedule.

Once she is comfortable with you, begin bringing other family members in with you, one at a time, and let her get to know them in the same non-threatening way. I will caution you that she may be far harder to accustom to male members of the family, given her background, but she is certainly capable (with a LOT of patience) of learning that not ALL males will hurt her.

Once we get there, we can start working on getting her comfortably out of her safe room, and used to the entire house and other pets.