7 pounds?

Hunter06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday I measured the height and length of my kitten to the best of my ability as ofc he didn’t want to stand still. He is around 9” tall up to the shoulders and almost 10” long ( not including his tail or neck/head ) this might not be 100% accurate due to the issue of getting him to stand still. I decided to try to check his weight on a bathroom scale by checking my weight first then holding him to see how much higher the numbers will be and it shot up 7 pounds- to make sure I put him down and weighed myself again and it went back to the weight it said I was before picking him up. I do not know if that 7 pounds by 5 and a half months is overweight for him? I felt around him to see if I could touch his ribs and that felt pretty normal and it wasn’t hard to locate his ribs. I also felt around his waist to see if that was ok and it was- I soon checked online to see how heavy should a 5 month old kitten should be and it said 2.7 - 6.3ibs so rn I’m very confused and slightly concerned.. is it normal?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It really comes down to genetics, the "average" weight is assuming that the cat will be around 8-12lb as an adult. Normally they gain roughly a pound a month, so at 5 months they should be around 5lb, but as I said genetics play a big role. I have two that were both over 8lb at 5 months, and grew to be big boys at nearly 2ft long and around 15lb as adults. It's rare for kittens (under a year) to be overweight, unless you are feeding a ton of treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hunter06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thanks for the info!! I was quite worried for a moment lol.