7 myh old cat 10lbs

Miloman80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just curious if anyone has insight on healthy weight for a 7 month old cat just clocked in at 10lbs. I feed him 1/2 a can of 2oz wet food in the AM. I cup kibble mid day and another 1/2 can wet food in PM. Some days I might give him a little more wet food and a couple treats during the day as well. He’s neutered and active. I can feel ribs on my him but he has a decent sized belly. First time cat owner here. Thanks!
IMG_9836.jpeg
IMG_9644.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, handsome boy!

He looks fine. A few of my male cats were over 10lbs by that age, they just grew up to be big cats. There's no need to try and restrict the calorie intake of any cat under a year old, unless your vet tells you there is a reason to do so. They're still growing at that age and a healthy diet is essential for strong bones and muscle mass.

As a general rule cats do better on wet food rather than kibble, because kibble is higher in carbs (which cats don't really need) and wet food is higher in protein (very important for obligate carnivores) So if you can get him on all canned food it would be better for his long term health.

Having said that, my cats all get a bit of kibble too. You've really got to take what you can afford and what the cats love into account.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ditto what Norachan Norachan said. My boy was around the same size, he's now 18 pounds (ideal weight is probably around 16). Here he is standing guard over his bunny and you can tell a little chunk but nothing major.

20231112_094438.jpg

Some cats are just bigger cats. Body condition, activity level and overall health are more important than hitting a specific number on a scale. And also, wet food is much better then kibble if you can do more wet and reduce kibble that will help him continue to maintain a good healthy weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miloman80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, handsome boy!

He looks fine. A few of my male cats were over 10lbs by that age, they just grew up to be big cats. There's no need to try and restrict the calorie intake of any cat under a year old, unless your vet tells you there is a reason to do so. They're still growing at that age and a healthy diet is essential for strong bones and muscle mass.

As a general rule cats do better on wet food rather than kibble, because kibble is higher in carbs (which cats don't really need) and wet food is higher in protein (very important for obligate carnivores) So if you can get him on all canned food it would be better for his long term health.

Having said that, my cats all get a bit of kibble too. You've really got to take what you can afford and what the cats love into account.
Thank you. This is very helpful!