7 months kitten has soft stool after exercise

juliawood2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 months female kitten. On most days, she has normal stools, solid and in shape; but I noticed that once in a while (about once a few weeks), she has soft stools, not diarrhea but some part of the stools is loose. She usually poops in the morning but when this happens, she would poop one more time at night (the loose one), and the next morning she won't poop as usual (which makes sense as nothing would be left now) but returns to normal cycle the day after, and the poop is also back to normal. I also notice the loose poop seems to happen right after she has a lot of exercise (like today, she is running, chasing with another cat in the household a lot). I usually play with her for a few minutes in the evening and she is usually normal; but when I played longer with her or she is extra active that day, she may have the loose poop.
Just wondering whether this is common for kittens? Should I be concerned? She is quite an active cat in general; is she being too active? The other cat, which is a 1 year kitten, doesn't have this problem even when she exercises than normal.
Thanks!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't think it is related to her exercise habits. Has fecal been checked for parasites? Is she given different foods or does she get treats? Lots of things can be causing it. But I would rule out these two first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliawood2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her stool has been checked twice for parasites (one about 3 months ago and the other about 2 months ago) and they both came negative. I also treat her with flea medicine monthly. She is eating exactly the same food or treat, but occasionally the soft poop happened! This is also what confuses me because everything is the same, except that, I found she tends to have more exercise on those days.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A lot of kittens will eat, get the zoomies, and then use the litter box. Could this be more connected to her eating than it is exercise? As in, perhaps, the food she is eating is kind of running right through her? I have never heard of a cat getting loose stool from exercise. Just a guess on my part...