7 month old kitten chronic soft stools

Abbycats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Adopted in November and currently 7 months old. Came from a coworkers high volume in house rescue. I now know she has other cats with diarrhea in her house. Eating purina proplan kitten and sometimes snags some of the adult purina proplan salmon. She has had soft stinky stools since she was brought home. About 3 weeks after adopting her our other cats all got a horrible uri and diarrhea and one tested positive on fecal
Pcr for giardia. We began treating all the cats with panacur for Giardia. She had 10 days dose at this time. I also treated everyone with secnidazole. The positive cat has been isolated to her own room since and has since been cleared of giardia through multiple follow up fecals. All other cats have had 2-3 negative regular fecals at the lab (idexx) and 2 run in house by me as I am a vet tech. I also got a hold of some giardia antigen tests (not idexx roehi labs) and have run them on multiple cats. She’s had 2 negative tests for Giardia. I’ve done a proviable forte kit and 2 boxes worth of fortiflora. She’s also had 2 rounds of metronidazole at this point- one week at 25mg:kg bid finished Dec 25. The next round same dose and length finished this past Sunday. Every time she is on metronidazole her stools are completely normal. Within 2-3 days of finishing her round of
Metro, the soft stool comes back again. She also steps all in it and tracks it everywhere. I don’t believe this is Giardia but I am considering doing a fecal pcr though if she did have it at one point she could still have a positive pcr even without an active infection I’m told.
I did buy some of the kittybiome and I am considering beginning it today. Considered t. Fortis as the culprit but the diarrhea wouldn’t improve on metronidazole if that was the case.

I’m at a loss. I feel like I’ve done everything. I can’t live like this, constantly washing boxes and cleaning diarrhea off my rugs.

thoughts?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From what I've read on T. Foetus, metro can help with the diarrhea while they are on it, but it can't eradicate it. SO..if I were you I'd still test for it. What you are describing does sound like T. Foetus to me.

In the meantime, have you tried using S. Boulardi to see if that helps? Many people use it when their cats have diarrhea, and the good thing about it is that it can be given at the same time as antibiotics, unlike most probiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abbycats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From what I've read on T. Foetus, metro can help with the diarrhea while they are on it, but it can't eradicate it. SO..if I were you I'd still test for it. What you are describing does sound like T. Foetus to me.

In the meantime, have you tried using S. Boulardi to see if that helps? Many people use it when their cats have diarrhea, and the good thing about it is that it can be given at the same time as antibiotics, unlike most probiotics.
Im also suspicious of t foetus based on my reading about it. I am going to do a fecal pcr. I will say my one cat who tested positive for Giardia did have a pcr and was negative for t foetus. Im hoping my other adult cats are also negative as they’re not having diarrhea.

I haven’t not tried s Boulardi but I did purchase the kittybiome probiotic (not the fecal transplant capsules) and I will probably begin those tonight.

With t foetus, I’ve read that it will usually self resolve and that treatment with ronidazole can be risky. I’m hoping to not have to treat 5 cats with it. Well 4, since the one has been isolated and she was definitely negative for it. I also read it doesn’t live long in the environment and may be transmissible to other cats but isn’t always symptomatic. Some people seem to just let it run its course? I’m not really sure what to do with a multicat household. We typically have 6 litter boxes but I’m down to 2 because I’ve been using liners and small amounts of litter and scooping them/dumping and bleaching them daily while trying to figure out who is and isn’t having soft stool.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have also read that the ronidazole can be risky and isn't always effective AND that the T. Foetus usually resolves itself but the cats typically will always be carriers, even with treatment. But you cannot always believe anything you read. The kittybiome might do the trick in firming up the stools. If not, then try the S. Boulardi.

Let us know what happens

Abbycats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will do. I think the kitty biome has a boulardi in it?
Running the pcr tomorrow and will have results Friday.
I hope it isn’t but I will be happy if it isn’t Giardia

Abbycats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s Tritchomonas blagnurni….

Going to treat it and now I have to deal with treating 3 other kitties 😵💫

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s Tritchomonas blagnurni….

Going to treat it and now I have to deal with treating 3 other kitties 😵💫
So I think that's actually the same thing as T. Foetus, if I am understanding what I am reading in certain articles. It's called Tritchomonas Foetus in cattle and for Felines they've decided to give it an entirely new new, thus the Blagnurni. I did see the treatment is the same :frown:

At least now you know what's causing the issue, for what it's worth :alright:

Abbycats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That’s true. At least it isn’t zoonotic and doesn’t live as long on the environment. She previously had giardia and that is finally gone so that’s a win!