7 month old kitten aggressive to strangers, was very sweet before...

Does your cat run and hide when people stop by?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some do, some don't

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is quite odd... I rescued Beans (pictured) when she was 12 weeks old. I was drawn to her over others b/c of her temperament. She was very well socialized, and adjusted (aka bullet-proof). I wanted a well socialized kitten b/c my 1 year old cat Oksana is scared of her own shadow--always has been. Oksana will only let me pet her and it only takes a knock at the door to send her diving under the couch or bed. When Beans was little (<5.5 months or so) she wasn't like this at all. She was a social butterfly when people came over. She loved everyone, and would sit contently in someones lap when company came by. She even loved brief rides in the car to say hello to the Baristas at Starbucks. They'd pet her through the drive thru window even.

Then for some reason something changed. She, like Oksana, stopped trusting others. She gets scared when there's a knock at the door now like Oksana does (She never did that before). When anyone besides myself tries to pet her she will hiss at them. She doesn't run away, but she makes it clear she doesn't want them to pet her by hissing. Like I said she's only 7 months now and I'm hoping to get on top of this. I would like to have at least one cat who isn't a pariah when people come over.

I live alone but when she was little I had people coming over a lot and I would take her places often to make sure she continued to be well socialized. I figured any fears of humans were long gone by 5.5 months when she was just putty in everyone's hands so I stopped taking her out as much. Could that be why she is now less tolerant of other people?

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe she's taking lessons from Oksana?  I really think my two boys learned from Emily that hiding under the bed is the thing to do when people come over.  Of course, for a while our main visitors were a family with 5 kids.  They've moved now and my kids are friends with smaller families.  The cats come out more now that company is a more peaceful experience.  Could something one of your visitors did turn her off?  Maybe they smelled like their pets? 

Off topic...do you still have your little siamese cross boy....I think Leo was his name?  You didn't mention him so I just wondered....sorry if I'm being nosy. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she's taking lessons from Oksana?  I really think my two boys learned from Emily that hiding under the bed is the thing to do when people come over.  Of course, for a while our main visitors were a family with 5 kids.  They've moved now and my kids are friends with smaller families.  The cats come out more now that company is a more peaceful experience.  Could something one of your visitors did turn her off?  Maybe they smelled like their pets? 

Off topic...do you still have your little siamese cross boy....I think Leo was his name?  You didn't mention him so I just wondered....sorry if I'm being nosy. 
No unfortunately Leonidas had to cross the bridge entirely too early. His asthma that seemed to never get better, ended up being a genetic heart defect.

I rescued Beans to help Oksana and myself get through the grief of losing him. Thanks for asking. He is greatly missed.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No unfortunately Leonidas had to cross the bridge entirely too early.
I'm so sorry to read this.  Bless his heart.  Your new little orange girl is a cutie.  I hope you and Oksana are enjoying her.  Our latest addition is an orange girl too, Lucy.

One thing about visitors....while she's going through her "no visitor" phase I'd be sure to try not and force any interactions on her.  I'd just play it cool and if she happened to hear the treat bag come out (or something she likes) while the visitors are over, then she might start warming up to the idea. 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess you are right about playing it cool. I have been trying to "fix" her.
I've been picking her up and taking her to guests and letting her smell them. She will smell them and seems fine. Then when they stroke her she's ok for a second and she starts to hiss.

This all started when my Dad came over about a month and a half ago. He loved her like crazy as a kitten, b/c she was so friendly. He came in and picked her up as he normally would. This time she hissed at him and just couldn't wait to get away. She didn't swat, or bite; but she did hiss like she was going to. We couldn't figure out what the issue was.

This is something else that's probably insignifigant but I'll mention it all the same: About the same time she started doing this an outside cat (both my cats are indoor only) was lurking outside my front and back door on several occasions. I don't know if he's an entire male and maybe he/she's just territorial. I've never been able to get close enough to find out. Is it possible that her fear of that cat being outside has made her associate all things outside as scary?

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would think the outside cat freaking her out a bit could be a factor...maybe?  But, I'd think it is more likely something else. 

Is Beans spayed?  Hormones can do all sorts of wacky things around her age.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it might be the cat outside making her un-easy. Maybe someone else has a tip to try and keep him away from your door.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Beans spayed?  Hormones can do all sorts of wacky things around her age.
Yes, she was spayed at 4 months of age. Both of my cats are spayed. There's really no reason for the other cat to be coming around except for curiosity's sake, or territory. The cat is a red tabby so there is a ~75% chance the cat is male.

I think it might be the cat outside making her un-easy. Maybe someone else has a tip to try and keep him away from your door.
I know you can sprinkle Cayenne pepper in your yard to keep cats away, but I don't want to risk hurting him. Plus it would be my luck I'd hit a cloud of it with my leaf blower and "repel" myself.

Last edited:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who's to say what makes a cats behavior change. Such little things that seem insignificant to us can set off all kinds of things in a kitties head. My kitties started out as brave souls, but as they grew, with so few visitors at my place, they grew into skittish lil things and any visitors would send them into hiding. I started keeping a treat jar at the door. And when people come over they now introduce themselves using these. Has worked wonders. They no longer hide, though they keep their distance till the treats come out :) They then allow petting.  And I DO truely believe they learn from each other. If one is hiding from people, it must be a good idea right? lol

Another story, similar to what happened with your Dad and Beans. My boyfriend comes over very frequently and has been around since I first adopted Baby and Boots. Boots used to suckle on my BF. All was well for approx 6 months. Suddenly Boots started hissing at him. Still can't figure out why, and he still does it. We have narrowed it down to 1 of 2 things. A new scent or dominance aggression. Boots tends to be a bully when it comes to my BF so we're now leaning towards the second of those.

Anyway, try the treats thing. Seems to have helped with my 2. Good luck and keep us posted :)

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am starting to think it's more an issue of Beans just learning her sister's skittish behavior. I will try keeping a jar of treats by the door for visitors to see if that helps.

Also, I've never tried walking her on a leash b/c she's an inside cat and I didn't want to worry about fleas. Does anyone have any experience with walking a cat for socialization of the animal?