7 month old biter - is it too late for a playmate?

sketchg0ddess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is a 7 month old neutered male. His is sweet and adorable andI love him so much, but sometimes when I pet him, pick him up, or when hr is in one of those playful moods, he bites, and he bites HARD. He attacks me and my husbands ankles too, and it really hurts sometimes. We know we are really in for it when he is "posessed", aka when his pupils dilate ajd his ears go back. We took him from his mom and littermates when he was only 5 weeks old, which I now know is much too early, but at the time did not. Is it too late to socialize him with a playmate, to deter him from hurting us? I also worry about him being lonely and bored when we are at work or busy, but I wasnt sure if he's reaching an age where he doesnt mind being alone anymore, or if his playtime habits are too ingrained at this point to learn some social cues from another cat. My husband and i have tried firmly saying "no!", attempting to squeak like a kittenx scruffing, staying still (but it hurts!!!), putting him in another room, and we do play with him, not with our hands but with toys. We also live in a small apartment, which is another deterrent from introducing another cat to our home, but we are willing to do what it takes to keep our kitty happy and well behaved. Help, what do we do?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sketchg0ddess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. He is definitely neutered.

trickytree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. He is definitely neutered.
Good. It sounds like he is a bit bored and needs a companion. At his age, it should still be able to find an appropriate friend. As he's a male, look for another neutered male around the same age and introduce them slowly. You said you have a small apartment; however my two are now getting along well in my one bedroom, 725 sq ft, condo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sketchg0ddess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the good advice. I just dont want to risk having the opposite outcome and piss him off, bringing another cat into his castle! He does seem bored at times though. Do you think at 7 months cats are set in their ways, or could the biting problem improve?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's too late for a companion.

He might be doing it because he is overstimulated a buddy might help his behavior and get more energy out of him. He is super cute!

ivashanko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While it is true that for most cats it gets harder as they get older, some are capable of making friends and playmates very quickly no matter their age. And some, I assume, probably aren't.

I know anecdotal evidence isn't the most persuasive, but my cat is about one year old and my roommate and best friend recently adopted a stray dog. In less than two weeks the two animals have already become friends, and play with each other all the time.

mark81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's better to do it when they are younger definately the sooner the better. I had Bella and bought her a friend when she turned 5 months. 3 weeks of hard work and it has paid off.Bella is 6 months and shadow is 3 months .