7 Kittens are they too small to survive?

Lynel

My "Monkey" 🐒🐈
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Sassy is about 1 years. She just gave birth 2nights ago. She had 7 babies. But they seem so small. They all seemed to be nursing n moving about n making baby noises. I check on her all the time. Well the last time she one 1 baby completely away from her n the other babies. It was cold not really breathing properly or moving much. Before I picked up the babies Sassy was very agitated but after I took it out she was calm n laid down n nursed the others. Now I don't know what to do. This baby is still not breathing or moving barely but it has cried very briefly. I don't have the finances to try to take it to the Vet. N I'm fairly certain something is seriously wrong with the baby. I'm just at a loss what to do exactly. P

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Warm the baby immediately with a heating pad, hot water bottle wrapped in a towel, or rice sock microwaved and wrapped in a towel. Also, immediately smear honey or sugar water on the kitten’s gums for quick energy.

Once the kitten is warmed up for a few minutes, use a syringe or dropper to slowly give a homemade solution of water with a sprinkle of salt and sugar to restore electrolytes.

Go drop by drop into the side of the mouth. Give the kitten time to swallow and breathe between drops. Give 1/2 to 1mL over the course of an hour.

Continue to keep the kitten warm at all times and begin feeding 1/2 to 1mL of kitten formula every 1-2 hours around the clock. You can make your own formula with evaporated milk, an egg yolk, and a sprinkle of salt and sugar until you can buy a can.

If you can get this kitten over the hump, it may get strong enough to rejoin its mother in a few days. It will take careful, round the clock care from you.
Lynel Lynel

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically, almost no kitten is too small to survive unless there is a birth defect or some other kind of grave illness.
There is also something called "failure to thrive" or "fading kitten syndrome." It is just what you think it means. Some kittens just don't "make it." That's why cats have multiple babies. Some survive. Some don't. It's just Nature's Law."

With that aside, in many cases, it is possible to nurse a fading kitten back to health and it will live a normal life. But, there is a trade-off.
How far are you willing to go to ensure that one kitten survives when there are others that are just as needy?

When I was a kid, my father bred hunting dogs. There were as many as eight puppies in a litter but it was rare for every one of them to survive. There was almost always a runt or a sickly pup that just wasn't able to pull through. When you have an animal that has a litter of babies, you've just got to accept that a few won't survive. It's sad but it's the truth.

Back in the day, we did have one pup that was sickly and we had to force feed it and do a lot of things to keep it going but it did pull through and it lived a full life.

Take a look at your situation. You say that the mother cat is taking care of all of her kittens except one. Right?

Maybe that's her way of saying, "I can't feed them all." If that's true, all you have to do is get some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) and bottle feed it. If you are willing to put in the work, chances for survival might be good.

Give us some more information on the mother, her babies and how well they are doing and, maybe, some people here can guide you.

Two things at the top of my mind are, first, call a vet if you can, even if it's just a consultation. The second is to get some KMR and start bottle feeding as much as the mother will let you.

It is often good to supplement the mother's milk with KMR. It takes some of the burden off the mother in feeding a litter of kittens and it will help the lot of them thrive better.

Fingers crossed for you! :crossfingers: Thoughts and prayers be with you! 🙏

Sending good vibes! :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lynel

My "Monkey" 🐒🐈
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for you're great advice. I was starting to get all the things together to care for it but the poor little baby didn't make it. It I'd heartbreaking but like you said sometimes nature has a reason. N yes Sassy is taking good care of the other 6. I'm keeping a very close on on her n the babies to try n make sure things keep going well. Thank You all for you're advice n your caring ways. It's much appreciated.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seven kittens is a decent sized litter!

Is she a first time mother? If so, that's another feather for her hat!

Barring anything unforeseen, it just sounds like she can't keep up with demands. If the mother is unable to feed and care for all those kittens, one of them has to lose out. Call it the Law of the Jungle, if you will.

But the good part is that she's got a human to help. Now nobody has to lose out! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please do not let your mother cat outside until she is spayed in about 8 weeks’ time. Do you need help locating a low-cost spay clinic in your area?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for you're great advice. I was starting to get all the things together to care for it but the poor little baby didn't make it. It I'd heartbreaking but like you said sometimes nature has a reason. N yes Sassy is taking good care of the other 6. I'm keeping a very close on on her n the babies to try n make sure things keep going well. Thank You all for you're advice n your caring ways. It's much appreciated.
Pity about the one whom died... But such is what happens. A dedicated care often do helps, but sometimes even with the best care of an experienced caretaker its not enough... Or some other complication comes... When they are small and weak, almost anything may kill them...

6 is still a decent sized batch, so you must continue to watch out.

The easiest way for one not experienced is by weighting them every day, and see if they add 10+ grammes a day... (1/3+ oz a day).
Also, an often used trick is to rotate them.
Either 3 on, 3 off, OR if you notice 1-2 runts; you give them quality time with momma, while biggies are asleep after their eating; and swich after some time... So, prepare an extra little nest nearby, with a heating pad and all comforts.... This way, the runt doesnt need to fight off the biggies, and lose his precious reserves of strengh on hopeless battle...