7 days old kitten dehydration

Sasha_35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a 7 day old kitten he was orphaned the mother passed away 2 days after giving birth. He was very constipated so I took him to the vet yesterday afternoon. We got his bum unplugged. But the vet noticed he was very dehydrated. She gave him subcutaneous fluids. I figure he was getting air from the bottle and feeling full. Since we got back I have been feeding him every 2 hours. His skin isn’t super springy so I got a medicine syringe and put a nipple over it so I can keep track of his fluids. He’s getting between 5 ml and 2 ml every feeding, sometimes it’s over 30 mins because of burping. SO I have two questions how do I ensure he’s getting hydrated enough, he’s not peeing as much as yesterday. But he’s pooping solid little turds and passing gas. How can I ensure hydration and is there a good quick way to burp him???

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Solid turds hints some constipation.
What kmr do you use?
Can you get raw goats milk? Or any other goats milk?

For the time being: A little more water with the kmr. Do give him some simethicone; say two drops a couple times per day, not more. Simethicone is the same as for human infants. Helps with gases and some digestion problems.
Dimethicone is similiar, and at least more common in Apothece here in Sweden; works probably as well, but its simethicone I know for sure his harmless for kittens, about dimethicone I dont have real knowledge, just guesses.

And if this doesnt helps, you may add a couple of drops of coldpressed organic style virgin olive oil. Helps with constipation.
Almost any vegetable oil should do, but this mentioned oil is healthy nourishment by itself....

About quick burping? As far as I know, the burping usually isnt that long, so I presume you have much problems with gasses. Try Simethicone.

S Sasha_35

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sasha_35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I am in Canada I have never heard of simethicone (it could have been really used for my human children, the solutions we have here didn’t work well) but I am definitely going to go look for some. I brought the kmr to the vet on Friday they said it was good, it’s powered and I am mixing it with a little extra water right now. Because of the extra gas I have switched to a medicine syringe with nipple over it, does fit right where I am in northern Canada we don’t actually have fitted ones but it seems to be working much better and the gas is coming out a bit better. He had a good pre this feed and he ate 8 ml over about half hour, I stop to burp. He has good suction. Once we can co ordinate the nipple into mouth as he’s a squirmer.
he also had a good pee this time too :)
I’m very greatful for the advice and if you have any other pointers I would love to hear them. The mom has always taken the kitten back after a day or two of my feeding it but sadly she passed. So I’m doing everything I can to keep him going. I welcome anymore tips, and again thank you so much!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, look on the baby products aisle at your local pharmacy for infant simethicone or gas drops. They should be there. A drop or two in each feeding should help, as StefanZ StefanZ said.

It sound like you are doing a great job!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Observe, simethicone isnt always in the name. The brand name may be different; so its available in Sweden too, but with different name on the label. Minifom here in Sweden.
You must look on the contains....

So, find the shelf where they have the medicines against the gases in infants, and look on the contains, till you find one which contains simethicone... Or ask the attendant helping out look for it.

S Sasha_35