7 Day Old Kittens have runny stool

boodles95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

new to this forum, looking for some advice as I was reading some threads but didn’t find exactly what I was looking for.

I am caring for some kittens that were abandoned at my place of work. We believe they were 2 days old when found and very skinny, cold, and dirty. That should make them 7 days old today. They are doing quite well, sleeping lots, suckling formula well, gaining weight well (about 0.5oz per day now).

The problem is that they have been having Diarrhea for 3 days now- at first it was explosive and full of mucous, I think mostly because I had fed them watered down urgent care cat food on day one because it was all I had and everything was closed. Then we got KMR liquid formula on day 2 through 3 and then I finally got a can of KMR powder but they absolutely refused it. We tried feeding it to them every 2 hours for 24 hours but they would not drink it unless we forced it with a syringe, so we went back to liquid KMR on day 5 and they’ve been on it 2 days now. Poops have stopped being explosive and full of mucous but they are still very very wet.
I’ve read a fair bit about the KMR liquid causing diarrhea, but if they won’t drink the mixed powder I don’t have much other choice.

I read somewhere to try diluting the liquid KMR with water, pedialyte, or goats milk but not really sure. Does anyone have experience with that? They do really really love the liquid KMR but the runny poops need to stop for both their sake and mine

any advice much appreciated!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ugh. I dislike pre-mixed formula because it causes diarrhea. They really need to be on powdered.

You could try switching them by mixing half pre-mixed with half powdered mixed formula, then gradually decreasing the pre-mixed over a day or two of feedings so that they get used to it and notice less.

Failing that, you could try full fat goats milk. Most kittens love it and do well on it if you can find it in your local grocery or Whole Foods store.

Beyond that, diarrhea can be caused by parasites that would require meds to resolve, but it really seems to me right now to be the nasty pre-mixed they are drinking.

If you could switch them to powdered or goats milk we would know for sure in the next few days. See what you can do, but the diarrhea is concerning as they lose electrolytes.

With powdered, you can mix it with unflavored pedialyte instead of water so they get both nutrition and electrolytes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boodles95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m a bit confused as to the difference between the powder and the liquid since they are both KMR brand and have the exact same nutritional info.

honestly I wished they preferred the powder too because it’s so much more affordable🤦🏻‍♀️ But they absolutely refused. They escentially didn’t eat for a whole day, I was able to force maybe 5ml in a 24 hour period. With the liquid they are drinking about 4-5ml per feeding every 3 hours now so like, 25-30ml a day. They currently weigh in at 4.5 oz.

I can try mixing them together and see how that goes. If they won’t take to it, would you suggest diluting the KMR liquid with the pedialyte? The tiny town I live in doesn’t have any stores that sell goats milk, I have to travel 2 hours for it, so I feel I’d rather try something else first. Some places I’ve read say that it’s just the richness of the liquid formula.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
NO! Do NOT dilute the liquid KMR with pedialyte. They will not get the nutrition they need.

Just try mixing half pre-mixed KMR with half mixed powdered KMR. The powdered KMR part can be mixed with pedialyte. See how they take this. Forget the goats milk.

If they will take this, their stool should improve.

I’m not sure why powdered is best, but it is. I think it has something to do with ingredients in pre-mixed to give it shelf life. The taste is very different between the two.

Give the half and half mixture a chance for a few feedings and keep us posted.

boodles95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did 25% powder KMR, 75% liquid KMR for two feedings, and now 50:50 for two feedings. I’ll go to 75:25 for the next two and see where we get.

So far no change in poops (maybe a bit less often but same consistency), but they are demanding food more often today. The last 6 days I’ve been feeding them, and then they sleep soundly for a few hours before I wake them to eat again, today they have been SCREAMING for food every half hour and ravenous.

We’ll see how it goes over the next 24 hours. Their hydration and energy is ok so I’m not too too worried.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are they eating the same amount they normally eat? It may be that they need more at each feeding, or perhaps they are actually feeling better and therefore their appetites have increased.

I think after the switch is completed, we’ll know within a day or two if they need meds for diarrhea, or if it has cleared up.

Nice job - hang in there!

Keep us posted!

boodles95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are eating the same amount, about 4ml each per feeding, but wanting to be fed 2x as often. If this continues they’ll be eating close to 50ml a day, which seems like WAY too much for 5oz kittens? Everything I’ve read and calculated has said it should be around 35ml/day for their age/weight.

Also being screamed at for food every hour feels like a setback from every 3 hours 😅 here I thought I might start to get some sleep this weekend.

boodles95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also a little frustrated because they are demanding food more, if I can’t feed them at the exact moment they wake up they start suckling on each other and are giving each other rashes. Before when it was 3 hours it was easy to avoid but now it’s every hour.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nope, they are growing quickly and are fed based on weight. The rule of thumb is 8mLs of formula for each ounce of weight, so a 5 ounce kitten would get at least 40mLs of food over 24 hours.

The other rule of thumb is kittens are fed by age, meaning they are fed hourly the first week; every 2 hours the second week; and every 3 hours the third week, and so forth until they wean to solids.

Also, give more food at each feeding if they want more. Kittens will turn away when full.

I believe your kittens were sickly before and sleeping too much and not getting enough nutrition. They are 7 days old and now need feeding every 2 hours as much food as they want.

Hand raising kittens without a mom is a tireless, thankless job, but before you know it they will be big enough to go 4 hours during the night, then 6 while getting more food during the day.

They are transitioning now to healthier formula. Thank you for that. Hang in there!

boodles95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, some good news and some bad news.

When I got to 100% powder formula they began refusing again. Three feeds in a row they would not drink more than 1-2 ml and went right to suckling each other when put back in their basket only to be covered in each other’s pee 20 minutes later, which I find concerning given then just started opening their eyes.

The good news is that the one having the worst diarrhea has not had any stool at all in the last 24 hours since starting to transition, the other one has had one poop and while it was not formed and firm, it was significantly less runny than what he was having before.

I made today’s formula with 25% liquid KMR, and 75% powder KMR and they are drinking their usual quantity (up to 6ml per feeding), sleeping soundly for 2 hours, and not suckling each other so I think this is what we’ll be doing for now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That sounds like a great solution to the problem. I’m glad to hear the poops are getting better too. Let’s hope things continue going well. They should weigh about 8 ounces at 14 days old. Keep us posted!

boodles95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my I think they will surpass 8 oz by 14 days at the rate they are going 😅 they're already just under 6oz at day 9 now, mayyyybe day 10.

DEC4F415-B4B5-4F10-8759-A1C5714D48C8.jpeg
They came into my care last Saturday evening, so I’ve had them 8 days and they’re umbilical cords didn’t fall off until Wednesday and eyes just started opening yesterday.

boodles95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so… 48 hours since we started mixing the KMR formula, our kitten with super runny/gassy/mucousy poops has not pooped at all in 48 hours. At what point should I be concerned about constipation? She (I learned she’s a she today, I thought they were both boys but taking a second look I think we have one of each) seems very pudgey and I’m not sure if it’s because she eats like a piggy or if because she has not pooped 😅

little boy is doing great.1 slightly soft poop at the 24 hr and 48 hr mark.

both have gained 0.5oz every day for the last 2 days as wellputting them at 6oz today on day 10.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s not unusual for a kitten to get constipated on powdered formula. Begin adding 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. This should soften things up and get things moving.

boodles95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to pop on here and share that both those little kittens have thrived and are 5 months old today. I ended up keeping the male, Theo, and my friend adopted the Female, now Wendy. They both like going for walks on their harnesses, visiting the pet store, and playing with their canine siblings :)

Attachments