7 Day Old Kitten,

JuelesL

kitten,health,sick
Kitten
Purraise
on the 22nd i brought home a new born stray kitten,its mother rejected the kitten and was eating her brother so i brought her home. shes been doing well, eating milk replacement and pooping. yesterday she was eating and got milk in her nose, she sneezed it out but kept sneezing her and there throught the day. today she woke up with a very slight runny nose and her mouth slighty open. she eats a little but not as much as she does regularly. what can i do to help her? will it go away?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
JuelesL JuelesL

Yes, she has a URI and needs antibiotics.

Be very careful when feeding her so she does not aspirate formula into her nose or lungs. This can lead to pneumonia, which can be fatal in tiny kittens.

If she is stuffy, you can sit in the bathroom holding her with a hot shower running to create steam. This may offer relief.

Always feed on her tummy with head up as she would feed from mom, never on her back.

Are you using a bottle or syringe? How much does the kitten weigh?

Do you know what happened to the stray mom? Are you able to rescue her?

Thank you for saving this kitten. Have you seen the vet yet? If so, how is your kitten doing now?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes when a mother cat rejects a kitten there is something wrong with it, and also maybe the brother she was eating had already died and she was cleaning up. It seems gross but cats do this. You should add something called Benebac to the formula as it helps with digestion. Newborns get this substance from their mothers but orphans like yours do not, and they need it for digestion (probiotics setting up the digestive tract) if they are going to make it. I truly hope your orphan makes it, but if she doesn't, don't blame yourself. Be sure to give her a heat source to snuggle up to. My last orphan did well with a pair of socks doubled up and filled with rice. I would warm it in the microwave and he would snuggle up against it, and the heat lasted until the next feeding, which with a newborn is every 2-3 hours. That orphan was found under a trash bin and he survived and is a grown cat now.