6wk Orphan Kitten

Erickins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been taking care of an orphaned kitten since she was 3wks old she’s about 6wks old now(I’m guessing). She is litter trained and has been drinking kmr out of a bowl while also eating kitten wet food. As of yesterday around this time was her last full dish of kitten food that she ate but didn’t finish but she is drinking the kmr just not full bowls like she was. I have tried a few times today to try some different flavors of food but she won’t touch it. Also she won’t drink water that’s why she is still on the kmr while eating kitten food to get her some type of water. I water the kmr down so it’s not full bodied kmr. She’s too young for shots or spaying yet that’s why she has not been to the vet. I’m taking care of this lil girl for my niece she is actually not going to be mine. But I had the time for the needs of a kitten so young so I offered to get her to the appropriate age and diet. Any suggestions?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try tempting her with stage 2 Gerber baby food, either chicken or beef. I would also put some unflavored Pedialyte ( store brand is fine. If you cannot get it, you can make a homemade version - there is a good recipe on www.kitten-rescue.com) into her formula because it is important to keep her electrolytes balanced. Hopefully you are just encountering a little glitch and your baby will bounce back soon. Please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erickins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MOD NOTE: merged posts.

Hi there. I need some suggestions anyone. I have been taking care of an ophaned kitten that we think is around 7wks old and have been for about 2.5wks. A woman found her and her brother next to the mother who was killed by a vehicle so I took one in. I have had her on kmr since then she eats kitty wet food one kind is all she likes it seems and won’t touch kitten kibble or water. I still am giving her the kmr cause that’s all she prefers with the exception of a little bit of that wet food. I have a home lined up for her after she gets spayed next week but I can’t let her go without her drinking water and eating kibble because that’s what they will be feeding her. Unlike myself they do not have the time to keep trying and wasting different foods and feeding her kmr which I’m assuming she does not need to be on as much anymore. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions to help me get this adorable kitten eating kibble and drinking water????!!

Last edited by a moderator:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hmm that's interesting...is there another cat around? Kitten needs to watch big kitty how to eat. Try wet food on a spoon or your finger...kitty doesn't know how to pick up food with mouth...I hope someone chimes in soon...

Maybe get down on floor and show how to eat the kibble. Lol..but don't eat cat food just a food you can bite from a plate? Sorry mayne kitten isn't ready to wean yet? Or don't like the smell of food.

You can try treats or dog food? Lol.

Erickins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much kmr are you feeding? Is it from a bottle or licking from bowl?
She drinks kmr from a bowl and she does eat a little wet food on her own she just doesn’t want to be bothered with kibble or water that’s why I’m giving her the kmr still because that’s how I’m getting fluids in her. I do have 2 other cats but she is on a spectate floor because she has no vaccinations yet and she has a touch URI so I do t want to get my other cats sick as well. But I had thought about her not being able to learn from her mother or siblings on how to eat kibble as well.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
The URI is why she wont eat kibble...she can't smell. Keep doing what you are doing. If the illness affects eating more than now kitten will need a vet appointment for some fluids n meds...rarely it can turn into bacteria infection...the dreaded URI lasts up to 3 weeks...

You can slowly add more canned food than kmr to make it like pudding....and slowly make it thicker...

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is too young for a spay. Usually cats are spayed at about five months. Some vets use a weight level as a require-meant for spaying, but I have no experience with that. Just the age. If you are able, take her to a vet fortheURI and a worm check basic blood tests and vaccinations.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she has a URI she needs antibiotics. Otherwise, give her time. At 6 weeks old a kitten is barely weaned. She should begin eating better in the next 2 weeks or so. Don't rush her. She's still a baby!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is too young for a spay. Usually cats are spayed at about five months. Some vets use a weight level as a require-meant for spaying, but I have no experience with that. Just the age. If you are able, take her to a vet fortheURI and a worm check basic blood tests and vaccinations.
This is incorrect. Cats can be safely spayed and neutered at 2 months or 2 pounds.

Erickins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I talked to my vet a couple days ago about her sneezing but they since if she still playing (which she is a lot) and she doesn’t have any discharge or gooky eyes which she doesn’t than to just keep feeding her and giving her kmr. That said they don’t wont to stress her out by coming in and than bringing her back for her spay. She’s eating and drinking her kmr just not in the amount that she used to. I was told that it’s weird she won’t drink water not even a little bit. That’s why I always give her the kmr with her wet food. And I guess if she’s getting her fluid through the kmr and wet food she’s probably not thirsty much. I know she’s still a baby so I’ll give her time.