64 Days Pregnant

coritheisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Felix is 64 days pregnant. Up until now, she has been very cuddly and affectionate. Today she doesn't seem to like it when I pet her. She will jump up on my bed. When I go to pet her she runs away. Is this normal?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The average gestation length for cats is 64 days, so she is definitely getting close. It’s normal to see some behavioral changes as cats approach delivery. This article: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? says “A cat's temperament often changes during pregnancy. Some cats become more reclusive, but most usually become more affectionate. Many owners report a significant change in their cat's behavior in the days and hours before birth.” So, I think what you’re seeing is normal.

Do you have her nesting box set up, and everything prepared for the birth? Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coritheisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The average gestation length for cats is 64 days, so she is definitely getting close. It’s normal to see some behavioral changes as cats approach delivery. This article: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? says “A cat's temperament often changes during pregnancy. Some cats become more reclusive, but most usually become more affectionate. Many owners report a significant change in their cat's behavior in the days and hours before birth.” So, I think what you’re seeing is normal.

Do you have her nesting box set up, and everything prepared for the birth? Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth
Yes, I have a nesting box set up for her. I have put her in it a few times, but she jumps out immediately. She is spending a lot of time in the bathroom laying on the cool tile.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I have a nesting box set up for her. I have put her in it a few times, but she jumps out immediately. She is spending a lot of time in the bathroom laying on the cool tile.
Sometimes cats have a mind of their own when it comes to choosing a place to give birth. She might go to the nesting box when she’s ready, but would it be possible to set up an extra one in the bathroom, since it seems like she might like that location better?

coritheisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's also back to being affectionate today and goes between cuddling with me and laying in the bathroom.

coritheisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Felix is 66 days pregnant today. Last night she was pacing, restless, and meowing for much of the night- but no kittens. Today she has been pretty much sleeping all day and appears to be in no distress. Is this normal? I thought she might have been in labor last night, but I guess not since today there has been no activity like that.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The average gestation length for cats is 64 days, but up to 67 days is still considered within the normal range. Keep an eye on her, she should be ready to deliver soon. Have you noticed any milk production? What about other recent behavioral changes (nesting behavior, decreased appetite)?

I’ll link you to some helpful articles:

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats

coritheisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The average gestation length for cats is 64 days, but up to 67 days is still considered within the normal range. Keep an eye on her, she should be ready to deliver soon. Have you noticed any milk production? What about other recent behavioral changes (nesting behavior, decreased appetite)?

I’ll link you to some helpful articles:

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats
Yes, I have noticed that she has milk coming out of some of her nipples. She has been very docile all day and hasn't done much other than sleep and eat.

coritheisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she still hasn't had her kittens. Should i be worried?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure of your dates? If you are certain that it has been more than 70 days, I would take her to the vet to have an ultrasound. Do you still feel kittens moving?

coritheisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you sure of your dates? If you are certain that it has been more than 70 days, I would take her to the vet to have an ultrasound. Do you still feel kittens moving?
I used to be certain about my dates, but now I’m questioning it. I still feel kitten movements. She was acting like she was in labor last night- very vocal and in and out of her birthing box. Then she stopped and slept next to me the rest of the night. She does not appear to be in any distress.

coritheisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She got out the last weekend in March. Of course, I have 2 teenage sons, it is possible that she got out after that and I just don't know about it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like the dates are off because she seems to be doing well and not in distress. Just wait it out for now. :)

coritheisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm guessing that must be the case. She spent most of last night in her birthing area but still no kittens. She's doing a lot of licking and the babies are moving around. I'll keep waiting :) . Thanks for the advice.

coritheisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had 1 baby about 2 hours ago. Baby and mama are doing great. I know she has at least one more that I can feel moving around. She is content to nurse the 1 right now and is not actively pushing and is not in distress.

coritheisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had 2 babies- one at 430 the other at 1150. Both are healthy and doing well. Mom is doing great.
Thanks for checking on us :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful! Glad to hear all is well. We’d love a photo at your convenience. :)