6 year old cat with wet FIP. Need support from those who have been there

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Last week, my just turned 6 year old cat, Jax, was diagnosed with FIP.  He had just had an annual health check and his vaccines 2 weeks prior and everything checked out ok.  Then we noticed his belly looked distended even though he looked thin so we took him to a different vet and they ran a bunch of tests.  There was free fluid in his abdomen which they drained some of and also tested.  Based on bloodwork, fluid analysis etc. the diagnosis is quite certain to be FIP.  I had known nothing about this horrible disease and everything I read said it mainly affected cats under 2 or over 10.  He just turned 6.  

All our cats are indoor cats ranging in age from 4 to 16.  We have 5 cats including Jax.  One of our cats is his brother Jett who he is very bonded to and now I am also worried about how Jett will deal with the loss of Jax and if he will contract this as well.  

I am really a wreck over the fact that we are going to lose Jax and banging my head against the wall over the fact that there seems to be nothing I can do to help him and blaming myself for maybe having done something that led to this.  I have spent most of every day in tears since his diagnosis and am having a difficult time functioning.  I have 5 year old twin boys, 4 other cats and a dog who all depend on me so I need to function.   I'm in the process of getting homeopathic remedies that one practitioner has had some success with but know not to get my hopes up and I don't know if giving him all this stuff is just going to make his last time with us miserable.  

He is still eating…..very limited amounts.  He still is getting around okay.  He is seeming agitated at times with our other cats so I separate him from them for some time each day.  And, to compound matters, we have a dog we added to our family a year and a half ago which he absolutely hates.  I have to keep he and the dog separated at all times because he will attack her.  I have boarded our dog for the past 2 days to give him some extra attention and he has been so much more like himself.  He was even rolling on his back to have his tummy pet last night, twitching the tip of his tail like he does when he is happy…..things he hasn't done for a very long time.  The problem is I can't keep our dog boarded forever and will have to bring her back home tomorrow.  I plan to put her in dog daycare for a few days next week and maybe board her for another night to give him a reprieve but that is the best I can do.

Anyway, I'm just looking for support.  Is there anyone who has gone through this diagnosis with their cat?  Anyone with a middle aged cat?  How did you know when it was time?  How long did your cat survive with sufficient quality of life after diagnosis?  Did you try to tube feed him or drain fluids or do anything to extend his time?  

I feel so alone in this whole thing.  I lost one fur baby to inoperable cancer about 5 1/2 years ago.  We let him go on a little too long and he ended up in a horrible crisis situation that dragged out before we could get him help by letting him go.  It was terrible for both of us and I am so afraid of ending up there again.  

Staci

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone?  Has no one dealt with this??

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry this insidious disease has popped up in your life.  It's horrible!  That's all I can say about it.  Of course, there is no absolute way to be certain that's what it is, but it certainly sounds like it.  And although many people have viewed your post, I'm guessing no one has responded because it IS unusual to have a cat Jax's age get FIP, so  perhaps there really is no one with a similar experience.  I honestly don't recall reading about a adult cat in it's prime contracting it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

I did find there is an active yahoo group on FIP, which may be beneficial to you.  Here is their website:  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FIP-to-HEALTH/info?referrer=FIPCatSupport

In the meantime, we have two Advisors here that I'm sure have dealt with FIP.  @Red Top Rescue, @catwoman707 would you share your knowledge on FIP with this poster please? 

jaxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Mrs. Greenjeens,

I appreciate your reply. I did sign up for some FIP yahoo boards but none of them seem very active right now.  That was how I found a homeopathic advisor who has been advising me on some things to give him.  I just feel so blindsided by this whole thing.   When we first noticed the fluid, we were worried he had cancer because that is what my 9 year old cat died of and he had this fluid in the abdomen.  FIP was not something I had ever heard of and, when I did come across it as I researched his symptoms, I thought it couldn't be because he is 6 years old and we have had him since he was 9 mos. old.  We haven't added a cat to our house for over 2 years (and even then it was an adult over the age of 2) so how did this happen??   As much as I had feared cancer, at least that may have had a potential treatment with chemo or surgery.  To be told a cat this age has a death sentence like this is very hard to take.

On top of that, I am super worried about our other cats now.  The vet said it would be rare for the others to get it but supposedly it was "rare" for a 6 year old cat to get it so I don't find that very reassuring.  :(

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Staci,

I'm so sorry for your cat's diagnosis.

This is a horrible thing to happen.

Although it's highly unusual for a 6 yr old cat to come down with this, it's not impossible unfortunately.

He likely caught the corona virus during kittenhood, which is the most common time. It would simply look like a mild cold.

Here are some of my thoughts.

While wet fip means a much faster progression, I would rather have this route then dry. Basically because it is somewhat of a guess with dry, where-as wet can be fairly conclusive.

I also think it might be easier to know when it's time to have him pts, it's going to be much clearer to you, rather than with dry, an ongoing illness with some days being better then others, meaning people tend to hold out longer which means the kitty might suffer, and we don't ever want them to suffer.

I think you will know when it's time. When you are not seeing him have happy times every day, he doesn't want to eat (please no force feeding here, there is no recovery so why put him through it right?)

The grumpiness towards the other cats is his not feeling well. Having them away when he does this is good for him, and they will get over it, it's only for a short time.

The dog that he hates, well I would do my best to keep him completely away from your boy now.

I'm going to say something that I have never said 'outloud' before. 

I have seen FIP plenty. I have a non profit cat rescue group as well as a board member and cat advocate for the humane society.

Each time I see it, there always seems to be a stress factor in the cat's life. 

I'm not too sure on how this would work though, it's supposed to be that the corona virus is either worked out of their systems, or it hides and strikes later.

But almost 6 years later and now it's triggered? So while I want to say that I would bet it was the dog coming that caused this virus to come out of hiding, but that would also mean that the virus isn't actually worked out of their systems completely at all. I am no scientist either, so I can't explain this, only that there is always a big stress issue somewhere in the cat's world when FIP strikes.

PLEASE don't go getting the guilt feelings either! This is never something that any of us would know. We give our kitties the best we can, who would ever think that this could happen?!

At the same time, would something else have brought this about? We don't know and never will. I do find it strange that this corona virus has been dormant for so long though too.

Regarding the homeopathic supplements, not sure what is stated as far as having some success, since there is NO cure. 

All you can do is allow him the best and most love possible, keep him comfortable and give him anything he wants, lots of love, and let him go when he tells you it's his time.

I wouldn't worry about any others getting it, FIP is not contagious. It is a mutation from the corona virus. Corona is contagious when being shed, but just about all cats are exposed to it at some time or another.

Best of luck and hugs to you.

Very sorry.

jaxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Catwoman,

Yes, we do always keep him 100 percent separated from the dog but I guess just hearing her and knowing she is in the house must still stress him out.  I am worried that it also came about due to stress from the dog and, if that's the case, I feel truly awful.  He attacked our dog a few times out of the blue when she was a puppy….full out scratching with claws, etc.  After that, we have kept them strictly separated at all times.  Our vet says it is some sort of genetic switch that just goes off and the virus mutates to full blown FIP in certain cats but why him of all cats?  And why would it take until he was 6 years old?  Lots of unanswered questions and I could probably drive myself crazy dwelling on this whole thing and what I could have done to prevent this from happening.

He seems about the same to me now as he did last week when we brought him in.  He is still eating some on his own, still drinking, still enjoying getting pet and still pretty mobile.  For some reason, I thought the downward progression of wet FIP would be quicker based on things I've read but maybe it is slower because he is a middle aged cat?   I'm glad for any extra time I can get with him but so worried I  won't know when I need to say goodbye so that he doesn't suffer.  The homeopathic advisor we talked to suggested we need to syringe feed him so he has the nutrients he needs to fight this; that the supplements and homeopathic remedies can't work on their own.  I hate to stress him further by doing feeding if there really is no hope of recovery.  I'm hoping to speak with another vet for a second opinion later today.

So stressed and sad.  

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this.  I can imagine how blindsided you feel.

I have two 6-year-old cats, and I read up on FIP before they came home a couple years ago because we happen to know they are coronavirus positive, having been tested when very young.  They managed to get through those young years ok and were already 4 years old when we adopted them.  I've been feeling like they'll be okay now because it's so unusual to get FIP in these middle years.  I guess we shouldn't quite take that for granted.

I'm sorry that the rare instance of mid-age FIP has befallen Jax.  As you already know, there is not a whole lot to do except keep him as comfortable as possible for as long as you can.  This sudden diagnosis in what should be the middle of his life is a tough blow, and I wish you well as you work through it.  Also remember there's nothing you could have done differently to prevent this.  He contracted the coronavirus at some point most likely early in his life (just like half or more of all cats), and then, in some cats, nobody is still yet sure why, it mutates into FIP.

Hang in there.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks Catwoman,

Yes, we do always keep him 100 percent separated from the dog but I guess just hearing her and knowing she is in the house must still stress him out.  I am worried that it also came about due to stress from the dog and, if that's the case, I feel truly awful.  He attacked our dog a few times out of the blue when she was a puppy….full out scratching with claws, etc.  After that, we have kept them strictly separated at all times.  Our vet says it is some sort of genetic switch that just goes off and the virus mutates to full blown FIP in certain cats but why him of all cats?  And why would it take until he was 6 years old?  Lots of unanswered questions and I could probably drive myself crazy dwelling on this whole thing and what I could have done to prevent this from happening.

He seems about the same to me now as he did last week when we brought him in.  He is still eating some on his own, still drinking, still enjoying getting pet and still pretty mobile.  For some reason, I thought the downward progression of wet FIP would be quicker based on things I've read but maybe it is slower because he is a middle aged cat?   I'm glad for any extra time I can get with him but so worried I  won't know when I need to say goodbye so that he doesn't suffer.  The homeopathic advisor we talked to suggested we need to syringe feed him so he has the nutrients he needs to fight this; that the supplements and homeopathic remedies can't work on their own.  I hate to stress him further by doing feeding if there really is no hope of recovery.  I'm hoping to speak with another vet for a second opinion later today.

So stressed and sad.  
I promise you, there is absolutely nothing you could have done to prevent this. Perhaps if you have a crystal ball stashed somewhere that can foresee the future, other than that, it's not fair or realistic for you to even consider this. 

I agree, wet fip is pretty quick to progress, but as you said maybe it's due to his age. I usually see it in kittens or teenagers, and I can't say I have seen it stay the same as the week before, once you see the symptoms, the virus has already done a good deal of damage, so at that point it's all downhill.

Is the fluid in his tummy gaining size that you can tell?

I am not personally pro to homeopathic remedies for FIP. I look at it like the last time in this world should not be stressing him out with forced supplements. We all know how cats hate taking anything they don't want, but it's your decision on that.

I think you are hypersensitive to knowing when it's time because of your cat who had cancer, and the feelings afterward that you might have waited too long and prolonged suffering.

Actually, because of this you will be more able to tell in my opinion.

Not to worry. We are here anytime you need opinions/advice/support :)

moowithelsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so, so sorry that this has happened.  I had to put my one-and-a-half year old cat down 5 days ago due to FIP, and it has been AWFUL.  My cat came from a cage-free shelter so it's pretty easy to identify where it came from, so I can't imagine how hard it must be to be unable to identify any sort of concrete cause.  I have heard that the incubation period can last for years, so it's entirely possible he contracted the coronavirus as a kitten and he just never cleared it.  Some cats are just genetically predisposed to developing FIP and seeing as the majority of cats are exposed to the coronavirus at some point in their lives, it seems like some of them are just predetermined to develop it upon exposure.  There's just not a whole lot you can do.  Yeah, stress can trigger FIP, but giving your cat a 100% stress-free life simply isn't feasible and probably wouldn't change the outcome.  So don't blame yourself, it's just bad luck. 

As far as talking about PTS, to be honest, I personally wish I had done it a day sooner, if not even earlier.  FIP just progress so quickly and I think I was hanging on to false hope that he would improve somehow, when really that's just not how it works, especially with the wet form.  He really wasn't doing well the last day I was at the vet with him but overnight his condition deteriorated RAPIDLY and I just couldn't stand seeing him suffer for a minute longer.  As awful as it sounds, I wouldn't wait until the situation is desperate if you are intending to PTS rather than let him die on his own time, because FIP is ruthless and the outcome will always be the same.  I am not particularly pro-homeopathetic medicine for something like FIP (ESPECIALLY the wet form) because the disease is so aggressive that almost nothing can treat it in the first place, and it can lead to us keeping out cats alive but suffering terribly for longer than they should.  I am so sorry.  

jaxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Moowithelsie,

I'm very sorry about the loss of your little guy.  This is such a horrible disease.  Here I was worrying that my Jax had cancer like my last cat and now I feel like cancer might have had a better prognosis as far as some possible treatments (although that certainly wasn't the case for my last cat that had inoperable abdominal cancer).

I appreciate your words of advice about erring on the side of letting go sooner rather than later.  Like you were, I feel like I've been holding onto some false hopes that he will make a miraculous recovery.  I've never been big on homeopathic medicine either but, out of desperation, I have been willing to try anything.  He is still eating but very small amounts and I have to present him with multiple different options each day and, at best, he will take a few bites.  Sometimes a food that works will only work for one presentation of it then I have to find something else.  

Today he retreated to my closet and hasn't been interested in coming out.  I am starting to ask myself quality of life questions.  He still enjoys getting pet but, of course, he has no interest in playing.  He was always an extremely high energy cat and a major jumper; always loving to be up as high as possible.  His energy now is maybe 30 percent of what it used to be.  He typically enjoyed being around our other cats.   Now he yowls at them most of the time if they come near him.    The thing is I was expecting wet FIP to progress faster and had hoped we would know somehow when it was the right time but his condition hasn't seemed to change that much since we took him in to the vets on 9/30.   But, based on your experience, I may be walking a very fine line here with how quickly this may go downhill suddenly.  I think I have been looking for a gradual progression.

I am really dreading saying goodbye to him.  

Thank you again for your kindness in reaching out to me while you are still dealing with grief yourself.  

Staci  

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Moowithelsie,

I'm very sorry about the loss of your little guy.  This is such a horrible disease.  Here I was worrying that my Jax had cancer like my last cat and now I feel like cancer might have had a better prognosis as far as some possible treatments (although that certainly wasn't the case for my last cat that had inoperable abdominal cancer).

I appreciate your words of advice about erring on the side of letting go sooner rather than later.  Like you were, I feel like I've been holding onto some false hopes that he will make a miraculous recovery.  I've never been big on homeopathic medicine either but, out of desperation, I have been willing to try anything.  He is still eating but very small amounts and I have to present him with multiple different options each day and, at best, he will take a few bites.  Sometimes a food that works will only work for one presentation of it then I have to find something else.  

Today he retreated to my closet and hasn't been interested in coming out.  I am starting to ask myself quality of life questions.  He still enjoys getting pet but, of course, he has no interest in playing.  He was always an extremely high energy cat and a major jumper; always loving to be up as high as possible.  His energy now is maybe 30 percent of what it used to be.  He typically enjoyed being around our other cats.   Now he yowls at them most of the time if they come near him.    The thing is I was expecting wet FIP to progress faster and had hoped we would know somehow when it was the right time but his condition hasn't seemed to change that much since we took him in to the vets on 9/30.   But, based on your experience, I may be walking a very fine line here with how quickly this may go downhill suddenly.  I think I have been looking for a gradual progression.

I am really dreading saying goodbye to him.  

Thank you again for your kindness in reaching out to me while you are still dealing with grief yourself.  

Staci  
What a kind reply you gave.

While you already know that he isn't feeling well, at this point the question starts to become, just how badly does he feel?

Because cats are masters at hiding weakness (illness/pain) by instinct which protects them from becoming vulnerable to prey, we must read the signs in behavior.

He no longer plays.

His energy is drastically reduced.

He is not interested in food.

He is hiding in your closet.

It doesn't sound like he is enjoying life.

A cat will purr and love pets all the way to their last breath.

I just want to help you, I know this is very dreaded and you're not ready. I might be coming across as very factual and not realizing your pain, but trust me, I have an enormous heart and great compassion, but want to help you see clearly now, okay?

It sounds to me that, as soon as you are ready, he is ready.

Big hugs and know that, I feel your sadness, as many others here do too.

The whole thing is shocking and traumatic. Unfair. 

moowithelsie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry all of that is happening. 
  There is nothing easy about deciding when it's time to PTS your kitty and then having to cope with the decision in the aftermath.   Especially in a situation where it's so rapid and sudden and you just want a little more time, but the inevitable is coming and we just can't stop time.  

I know that whatever decision you make will be the right decision in that moment.  Deciding to put Comet down when I did was the right decision- and seeing him get so sick might have been the kick that I needed to do it.  It's only later that I started feeling like I should have done it sooner, but I'm trying not to beat myself for it because I did my best.  If my other cat (GOD FORBID) developed FIP I would definitely put her down sooner rather than later, because now that I've seen the whole illness through to the end I know that it really just horrible, awful, and devastating, and we are just so powerless to it.  And that it only gets worse.  I think with more chronic illnesses, people often pay attention to if there are more good days or bad days, but with FIP, the ugly truth is that once it's gotten to a certain point, there are no more good days.  But I don't blame you one bit for hanging on- EVERYBODY wants their kitty to be happy and healthy and wants to leave room for a miracle in these situations.  I know that I did.  

You are the best judge of your cats happiness and quality of life.  And you are the best person to make this decision.

It is just so awful.  I am so sorry you are going through this.  Nobody should have to see this happen.  I hope this might help a little bit, it makes me feel better if I can use my own experience to help others through the same thing.  

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been through this 7 times in the last two years.  Here is the LONG version of the story.  It started with an unexpected foster that the director handed to me when he returned some of my foster kittens that had been spayed/neutered that day.  Evidently this kitten didn't make weight to be spayed (2 lbs) and she was 4 months old and her previous foster moved so she had no place to go.  "Here," he said, "You are the miracle worker, fatten her up so she can be spayed and put up for adoption."  They called her "Diva" because she was grumpy and fussy about food etc.  It didn't take me very long to realize something was seriously wrong with her, and I got the name and number of the previous foster.  When I called her and asked about the history, it turned out that YES, she had had another kitten who had diarrhea all over the house and it was diagnosed with FIP and put to sleep.  I suspected this kitten had dry FIP which is why she as grumpy and losing weight (weighing less than 2 lbs. at 4 months of age is not normal).  I took her to the rescue group's vet and she was diagnosed with DRY FIP and was put to sleep.  There is really no reason to make them go on being miserable after that diagnosis.  Of course she had been with my other rescued fosters, coming from the same group.  At first all was well, but after getting the next group spayed, one of the litter of four came down with FIP, and another rescue I adored (Lurch) had been with her and within a couple of weeks he too came down with it and I had to put him to sleep.  That was a kitten I was planning to keep, one who had been thrown out of a car and had a head injury and I had nursed back to health.  During his recovery he wasn't great at walking and running which is how he came to be called Lurch.  I only had him six weeks and then he too was gone.  A few months later, one of a litter of 3 got it, also the dry form.  The vet didn't want t believe it was FIP because there as no fluid.  I knew it was.  He gave her cortisone to make her feel better and wanted me to keep nursing her along.  That worked for about a week and then she started getting neurological signs, sticking her front legs straight out in front of her stiffly, and refusing all food, so I took her in and had her put to sleep.  (I still have her twin sister who is now over 2 years old).  I thought we were done with it when no more showed up for 8 onths but then my 8-year-old cream point boy stopped eating, became lethargic, and I took him to the vet, knowing something was wrong but not suspecting FIP because of his age.  My vet is now VERY familiar with FIP, not just my cats but many others recently -- they did blood work and I expected abnormal results but they were not bad.  But the vet x-rayed him and there was fluid in his abdomen.  He drew out some and when he brought the cat back to me he just showed me the syringe with the yellow fluid.  Since the cat was already feeling sick, I chose to put him to sleep immediately. 

I thought we were done with it then, and I stopped doing adoptions and kept all the cats I had rescued, waiting for them to get to age two before even thinking about adopting them out.  None of that group has gotten sick.  However, in July a neighbor trapped two feral kittens and called me (I try to keep a lo profile but some folks around here know I do cat rescue) and the choices were either put them back out with their mom and 2 siblings, or have me take them.  I actually found someone else to foster them and get them socialized and planned to adopt them out directly from her house, but she had some family matters come up and couldn't keep them any longer, so they came here. I got them neutered and spayed, and more socialized, and then suddenly the girl got fluid in her chest.  I took her and her brother to the vet, and he thought they both had it.  I took them home, because they were not very sick, and kept them and loved them until first one, and two weeks later the other, stopped eating and playing.  In November I had a car accident, breaking my shoulder and wrist, totaling my car, and the person who brought me home didn't shut the gate properly and I was too drugged to notice.  The next morning a dog got into my yard and was chasing the cats.  After I got him out and closed up everything, I noticed one cat was missing.  It took 2 days for her to show up and when she did, she had a smashed shoulder.  The vet did x-rays and the only way to save her was to amputate the leg.  I should have put her to sleep but I didn't think about the fact her sister had died from FIP at 4 months, and this cat was 18 months old, a beautiful maine coon type longhair.  She was very high strung and nervous but she did well after the amputation and was healing, learning to get around as a tripod.  Suddenly she started dropping weight and hiding behind the bed -- bad sign.  Sure enough, she had developed wet FIP after all that stress, and I had to put her to sleep also.  I stopped taking in any new cats or kittens from last November until this September and there have been no more FIP deaths since the three in December.

Suddenly I have two new rescues here, first the one with FLUTD who was only 2 years old but was going to be put to sleep because the vets would cure her but she would relapse when she went back to the cat room.  Nobody would adopt her because she was grumpy ad peed all over the place.  So in steps me the maybe miracle worker.  I have fingers crossed because (1) she's old enough to have a full immune system, and (2) if nothing else, I cn give her some good time in a home after she ha spent the last year and a half at the shelter.  Still, she has her own room for now, my study, where she sleeps and uses the litterbox to poop (still pees on the floor half the time).  Then two day later someone dumped a super sweet tabby cat at a church and she was crying and scared and I rought her home.  She is not in my bedroom and I won't let her be with the other cats.  I'm not sure how old she is but I think she's maybe one year at the most.  She may have had kittens once.  Anyhow, I love her and want to keep her (she's the only cuddly cat I have anymore) but I know i should find her another home and not expose her to the corona virus.  We have had no more FIP deaths since December 2014 but I live with the knowledge it is here.  It usually strikes cats under 2 and over 10 but I know it can strike ANY age. 

I have one corner of my garden where all the FIP cats are buried, and it is now called FIP Corner.  There is no more room there.  I am assuming that all my cats carry the corona virus.  It doesn't always mutate into FIP, but it can.  I don't live in fear of it, but I am trying not to pass it to any others.  I never planned on taking the two girls I have now.  Nobody would want the FLUTD tortie anyhow, I'm her lat chance and if she were to get FIP, at least she would have had some life and love and happiness while she was here.  The other one should go to someone else and in the meantime, she's the best bed partner I have had since Lurch crossed the bridge. 

In summary, I learned that it is best to put them to sleep before the disease really gets to them.  It is the kindest thing, even though it breaks your heart.  You are very kind to keep the dog away as much as you can so Jax will not be bothered by him.  Don't blame yourself, you have given him 6 good years and you didn't give him this disease.  It's a normally harmless virus that lives in the intestines -- sometimes it mutates into the deadly FIP virus and more often it does not.  It is believed that 75% or more of cats from large group environments carry it.  In your case, hopefully none of the others will develop it.  I would advise you not to adopt any more kittens, only adults.  Your vet might not say the same thing.  In another thread someone's vet thought it would be fine since the FIP cat had been put to sleep, but I disagree.  Like you, she has other cats, and they may carry it or they my not but why risk it?   I am really sorry for what you are going through.  I hope sharing my experience has helped you in some way.  You are definitely not alone!

Last edited:

jaxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the support 2bcat.  I can understand your worry but, from what I've read, another risk factor is multicat households and I think I read the likelihood of any one of your cats developing FIP is higher if you have 

over 5 cats.  I am right at 5.  I have no idea if the reason is that the cats keep passing the virus from one to the other so it is never fully shed or if it's just the odds increase of having an affected cat simply because you have more cats.   I have to say that if I had known this disease existed and that there was a relation to the number of cats, I may not have adopted the last 2 we brought in.  They were rescues and I love them dearly, but now I have to worry about more of my cats ending up with this.   Or maybe had I known, I would have taken more care to bleach out the litter box more frequently.  I know there is no sense in looking back on what I could have done to change this but it's so hard not to.

Staci

jaxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Moowithelsie.  Your posts have truly helped me.  I actually scheduled for a mobile veterinarian that does hospice for terminally ill animals and in home euthanasia to come tomorrow afternoon.  If it's a situation where she thinks we can continue with hospice care she will give us a treatment plan.  Honestly, if I did this, I would have to decline any meds. because it conflicts with the homeopathic things that I'm doing.  The one thing that the homeopathic advisor said would be helpful would be setting us up to do sub-Q fluids.  If the vet. who comes feels it's really not a good situation for hospice type care, she will recommend euthanasia and then, of course, it's up to us whether or not to act on that advice.  

I am so torn.  On one hand I have someone telling me there is hope so it's difficult to do anything in the face of that because then I feel like I'll forever wonder "what if?" On the other hand, if I delay, then I could risk him having a very bad situation at the end of his life if all of this alternative treatment does not work and I will not be able to live with that either.  I feel like I'm in a no win situation here.  

He is still eating some and I have my dog boarded again for another night so Jax has been out in the family room sitting in the sun in the window, sitting in a chair at the kitchen table etc.  There are plenty of places he could go hide but he's choosing to be out with us so I'm hoping that means he is at least not in pain.  

Staci

jaxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
RedTopRescue,

I was so very sad to read what you have been through with your cats.   It just shows how insidious this disease is.  I appreciate your advice.  I wish I could make a decision and just know that it was the right decision  but I know that I won't.  I just really want to do the right thing for him.   Right now, he is laying on one of the kitchen chairs and seems happy enough.  This is one additional day he has to be alive and I think he is getting something out of it.  As I learned with my last cat and his cancer though, this is a tightrope walk and one additional good day might be followed by an extremely bad day if he goes into a crisis.   Everyone tells me "just follow your heart".  Well, my heart doesn't seem to be giving me very clear guidance.

I will definitely not be getting any more cats for a very long time.    I'm just praying none of my other 4 end up with this and that they live out long lives.  I'm especially worried about Jax's brother and my 16 year old cat who might have less resistance due to his age.  

Thank you so much for sharing your story and for confirming that it can really strike at any age.  I'm surprised this disease is not having more research done for a cure/treatment.  Sadly, it does not seem to be all that rare.  

Staci

crazypetlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi im sorry to hear about your cats dignosis, my heart breaks at this time of year thinking of all the owners of cats who have fip and my beautiful baby teddy who was dignosed with wet for of fip this time last year, he was taken from me in December last year at 7 month.. he was such a sweeg boy i feel so guilty like alot of people do with cats with this illness. I pray oneday there is a cure for fip as its truely one of the worst things. This group helped me soo soo much last year whrn i was going through this. Ill do Anything i can to try and help if needed

jaxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Catwoman707,

Thanks for your post.  You really helped me evaluate things and, after reading these posts on here, I scheduled for the hospice care vet to come who would advice on further hospice or euthanasia but, of course, that evening Jax perked up and ate and came out of the closet and seemed somewhat happy.  Today my dog is out of the house and he is jumping up on the counter, sitting in the window in the sun and eating a little.

Right now he is snuggled next to me and I'm fighting back tears (not very successfully) because I know this may be the last time we have like this.  

God, this is so hard.  

jaxmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Crazypetlady,

I'm truly fortunate to have found this site and people who understand.  It's one of the only things holding me together at the moment.  I'm so very sorry about your Teddy.  It is heartbreaking to hear of these kittens and very young cats who had lives that were cut so short due to this.  I think a lot of people just don't understand the level of grief I'm feeling about this.  Our cats and our dog are truly full fledged members of our family.  Jett and Jax have grown up with my twin boys as we've had them since the boys were about 9 months old and Jett and Jax were 9 months old when we brought them home.  They love the kids and the kids them so, on top of my own sadness, I'm going to have to deal with that of my boys.  I tried to prepare the one who is closest to Jax a few days ago by telling him that Jax was sick with something very bad and may need to go to Heaven soon.  He was upset and asked if he could hold him down so he can't go.  :(

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can only live life one day at a time.  I know you love Jax enough not to let him suffer, and when it's time for him to go, you will let him go with love and dignity.  For some reason there seem to be a abnormal number of cats, dogs and people passing over right now, as if a door to Heaven has opened and they are all rushing through.  I lost one about a week ago myself when two huge dogs dug under my fence and killed my 8-year-old polydactyl snowshoe before I could stop them.  I have a 5-foot chain link fence around nearly an acre --- no dogs should be able to get in.  It was a shock and horror, and it turned out they dug under their own fence a couple of houses away and got out.  Their owner is not irresponsible, nor am I.  Those things just happen sometimes.  I accept it was his time to go, although I am very sad about it. He was a death row rescue and I gave him 5 good years, so there's that.  A friend just lost her beloved Saluki dog, age 11, from an inoperable cancer above his soft palate.  When diagnosed, the vet gave him two weeks to live, but he managed to have a good month.  She spent every minute with him and spoiled him rotten.  You can do that with Jax too. We are here if you need to just vent.  We understand and care deeply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.