6 weeks old and less than 24 hours with me :)

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

My baby girl is 6 weeks old.   She comes from not the nicest environment and I'm glad I got her out.   I have had cats all my life which is over 70 years!  So we forget with the baby care.    She has been with me less than 24 hours.  I did not learn much from the person giving her to me.   I have her separate small box of little next to the huge covered box for my 2 yo girl.   I was told not to give her wet food as she would get diarrhea.   I was then told she eats the same adult dry food as the big cats in that home.   I put down a shallow saucer of water and a small bowl of dry Purina Kitten Chow.   I have not seen her use the litter box at all and don't think she has gone anywhere since being here.    I have not seen her eat anything and it's nearly 24 hours since she's been here.   I did see her try a little water after I gently touched it from saucer to her nose. 

So my question would be should she be okay now at 6 weeks with dry food?    Is she old enough to be weaned from the mother?   Should I be concerned she has not eaten anything nearly 24 hours?    She is sleeping as a baby, content and comfortable and playful and inquisitive so all that seems just fine.   She was the "runt" for sure.  We saw her other two siblings and they were way bigger.  She is very, very tiny!   Do I panic and run out and try a bottle with kitten milk?  I even tried wet with a little warm water mixed in...nothing.  How long should I wait before becoming concerned?   Seems to me baby would eat less amount more frequently?    Any ideas are greatly appreciated!   Thank you......whatever.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, 6 weeks is a little young to be weaned, but not unheard of.  She should have teeth now, and should be able to kitten food... if she is not used to wet food, that make take a little bit, and the kitten kibble might be too hard to chew.  If she is sleeping, not cyring and playful when awake, these are good signs.  Is it possible she is eating tiny amounts and you are just not noticing?  When it comes to wet food, its hard to tell what she will like or don't like.. some cats like pate, some like chunks, some like shreds...so that might take a little experimentation.  I don't think you need a bottle, but they do have a second step KMR (kitten milk replacement) that combines kitten formula with meat, and you can mix it with water to a consistency pleasing to the kitten - and it can also be mixed with canned kitten food, or dry kibble to help transition them to that food.

Good luck with your new baby!

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give her wet food in addition to what you have out she is on the tail end of weaning. I had a kitten eating wet food at that age.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be a good idea to soak the kibble in KMR or to offer some wet food. If the kitten is sleeping all of the time and not waking up regularly, it might be sick. If it is playful and running around it is likely sneaking food somehow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
awww thank you both!  Yes, I suppose it is possible she eats a piece or two and I don't see.   My daughter and the previous mom laugh because they think I worry too much!  :)     Yeah, she spends the day sleeping on my lap.....love it!  :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A 6-week-old kitten needs wet food. It does not cause diarrhea. She also needs kitten formula to drink from a dish. Kitten chow is much easier for kittens to eat than adult food. She Is most likely not eating because she is unsure of her new environment.

If she continues not eating you'll need to offer her a bottle. She must eat. You are not worrying too much.