6 week old kitty...what should I do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patti-cake

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dh and I talked it over. We really can't get another kitten. The base that we live at only allows 2 pets per household. You can get a waiver for 3 but it's a pretty grilling process and you can get a lot of grief from housing over it (like they can start nitpicking you on "discrepancies" until you get tossed out of base housing).

The other thing is that having a dog and a cat, we really can't afford much more. Sure, if everyone is fine and healthy, we can deal with another set of yearly boosters another food dish and so forth, but, we really want to be able to handle things if...say...the dog eats something he shouldn't and then in the same week kitty gets sick...and then... You get the picture. We really want to be able to provide the best care for our furry kids and be able to get them help when needed without worry.

The article made me feel bad. I mean, it really would have been better for us not to have adopted this one at all and let him sit in a shelter too? I can think of a lot of reasons why people would only be able to take in one cat, and that kind of bothered me to think that the shelters would rather the cats sit unadopted (or put down if it's a kill shelter) then to home them as single cats.

We made the commitment. Mischief is our kitty. We'll do whatever we can to make him happy and provide an enriching environment, but getting another kitten isn't something we can do right now.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Patti-Cake

we made the commitment. Mischief is our kitty. We'll do whatever we can to make him happy and provide an enriching environment, but getting another kitten isn't something we can do right now.
Mischief really is one lucky kitty!!! At least you discussed the option of getting Mischief a playmate, its can not happen so thats fine, you move on from there. At least you considered it. Mischief will be okay without another cat and I sure do hope he gets along with your dog.

when does Mischief come home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patti-cake

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He comes home today!
We've got everything in place. We actually had our neighbor switched him over to Nutro's Kitten food (wet) over the past couple of weeks (we bought the food for him).

He's super duper cute! The kids have spent tons of time with him at the neighbor's house and we've "borrowed" him off and on over the past couple of weeks for an hour or so here and there so our house isn't totally new (again). Chaos (our dog) seems to like him and is quite gentle with him. He keeps trying to groom his face and check him for fleas.
And Mischief takes it in stride, no hissing or anything. He's very friendly and very playful! His favorite toy is that mouse looking thing on the end of what looks like a fishing pole which happens to be the kids' favorite cat toy, but we got him those plastic balls with the bells inside and our neighbor said he keeps himself busy with those for hours!

I'll have to get up a picture of him when he comes home. He just melts my heart!

And the funniest thing is, Dh, who was sort of the reluctant Kitty Daddy, is the one that has fallen the hardest for Mischief. When he was over one day, he fell asleep on my lap and Dh scooped him up (KITTENNAPPER!!) and cuddled him back to sleep on his lap. HRUMPH!

We've been reading the boards like mad, learning all we can. Dh is going to build him a cat tree. Can you say SPOILED??!!
Who'd-a guessed we were "cat people"? Not me!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Patti-Cake

He comes home today.....

I'll have to get up a picture of him when he comes home. He just melts my heart!

oh make sure you DO get photos of him up! cant wait to see them!

good luck with him when you bring him home - its great you have spent lots of time with him so I agree, hopefully the transition wont be so bad...

I am going away for 2 days - looking forward to reading up on who it went when I get back