6 Week Old Kittens

hannah1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi all I've adopted a momma cat and 2 of her baby's who r 6 weeks old.
Both kittens r healthy and growing brilliant but I just can't get them to eat food. They are still suckling off momma quite often and she seems to tolerate it for a while then it must hurt her and pushes them away.
I've tried everything I can think of but no luck does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks all

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
hannah1989 hannah1989

Where are her other kittens? Why were they separated so young?

Have you tried Gerber turkey meat baby food?

It's possible they need another week. Weaning occurs anywhere between 5-8 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannah1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I posted that wrong I should have said I adopted momma and her 2 kittens (she had 3 one died) and no I haven't tried baby food I will defo get some tomorrow thanks

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't get frustrated. All of mine have eaten dry food first. go figure. I put it out on a paper plate , just a few pieces eventually someone gets the right idea. I'm surprise the mama isn't showing them how to eat.

hannah1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every time I try to feed them momma tends to not want them to eat (meows a lot at both me and the kittens till they follow her back to where she wants them) she's very protective

Don't get frustrated. All of mine have eaten dry food first. go figure. I put it out on a paper plate , just a few pieces eventually someone gets the right idea. I'm surprise the mama isn't showing them how to eat.
Ev

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Every time I try to feed them momma tends to not want them to eat (meows a lot at both me and the kittens till they follow her back to where she wants them) she's very protective

Ev
If they are getting enough nursing then I wouldn't worry. I am a rank amateur compared the rescue mama's here but one thing I have learned is to stop stressing over what isn't a problem. It sounds like they're getting to nurse and soon mama will probably push them away. Sometimes nature knows best. I obsessed over my two babies not eating and then suddenly one day out of no where while playing the one went over and just started eating. Bam the other one followed. They were about 6 weeks old. All that worry and fretting didn't change a thing. I leaned to be happy with food going in one end. crap out the other and decent weight gain.

hannah1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You may need to feed them away from mom.
Ive tried that and they just go 2 the door and constantly cry till I let her back in I've never had kittens refuse food before so this has been new to me

hannah1989

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they are getting enough nursing then I wouldn't worry. I am a rank amateur compared the rescue mama's here but one thing I have learned is to stop stressing over what isn't a problem. It sounds like they're getting to nurse and soon mama will probably push them away. Sometimes nature knows best. I obsessed over my two babies not eating and then suddenly one day out of no where while playing the one went over and just started eating. Bam the other one followed. They were about 6 weeks old. All that worry and fretting didn't change a thing. I leaned to be happy with food going in one end. crap out the other and decent weight gain.
Ok I'll give them a while longer see how we go weight gain is good so nothing worrying yet anyway thanks for your help

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I'll give them a while longer see how we go weight gain is good so nothing worrying yet anyway thanks for your help
For the record I was a few days away from taking mine to the vet because they weren't the least bit interested in anything not in the bottle. I was going through nipples hand over fist. Fingers, syringes, popsicle sticks. Mixed with baby food, Hills critical care pate which I have been told no cat can refuse but all of mine do.