6 Week Old Kittens With Diarrhea... Can I Mix Their Liquid Meds In Food?

Jellypop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I'm currently fostering 4 six week old kittens for a shelter and 3 of them are experiencing diarrhea. One of them had also thrown up a tiny bit this morning.

I went to the shelter today to let them know what's going on with the kittens and they gave me some medicine for the diarrhea. I forget the name of it now, but it's in liquid form and I need to give them 0.15ml two times a day, and it's for 7 days.

Giving them medicine through a syringe makes me so nervous, just because of the risk of it going into their lungs. They're so fragile.

3 questions...

1. Can I feed these six week old kittens cooked sweet potato to help their upset tummy's?

2. If yes to the 1st question, how much should I feed to them each?

3. Can I mix their liquid medicine in some kind of food (maybe sweet potato)? I actually gave them their first dose tonight through a syringe and none of them liked the taste one bit, so I'm not sure if they would even eat it mixed in food. I don't want to waste any of the medicine, but the syringe method makes me so panicky.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know that much about small kittens so I don't know about the sweet potato. What I have always heard for a bland diet for a cat is plain boiled chicken. Some people add a little cooked rice to it others don't. You can also try plain meat baby food. As far as mixing the medicine with their food it really depends on the cat and trial and error doesn't help with making the medicine last. Some cats will eat food with medicine in it others won't. One of my cats that has been on many different meds won't. I think he has a sixth sense and knows medicine is in his food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
J Jellypop

I would continue giving the medicine with the syringe. It's a tiny amount, and at 6 weeks old they should not aspirate. Put it in the side of the mouth. This way you can be sure they get the medicine they need.

Plain canned pumpkin helps to firm a stool. You can mix a half teaspoon into each of their wet food meals.

Is the medicine metronidazole?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, plain canned pumpkin is a common advice to firm up stool. They are also old enough for it now. BUT I have read, if you dont have access to such a plain pumpkin, cooked and crushed sweet potatoes may be used instead.

Also, remember if they have much diarrheas, its necessary to help them with salt and electrolyte losses. Best is plain pedialyte, but you can always begin with giving a little extra kitchen salt with their extra water. You can proceed with a bottle of minerale water - it contains lotsa of different useful salts. - Look at the label if unsure. Let go the gas out, thought.

J Jellypop

I would continue giving the medicine with the syringe. It's a tiny amount, and at 6 weeks old they should not aspirate. Put it in the side of the mouth. This way you can be sure they get the medicine they need.

Plain canned pumpkin helps to firm a stool. You can mix a half teaspoon into each of their wet food meals.

Is the medicine metronidazole?