6-week old kitten, very sick, no answers...please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

noxandhermione

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He seems stable now. His little tummy is so big because the doc put warm nutrients directly into his abdomen cavity this morning. My fiancé keeps calling him little Budha. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
His pee is completely clear right now, and his little bottom is so sore from being poked all morning for temp checks and having diarrhea. It's hurts him to poop now. Speaking of, his poop is better: no diarrhea, but soft and dark brown. I think that's an improvement? I want to check his temp again but I don't want to hurt him more.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Soft and brown is good. You can check it under his front arm and add 3 degrees. It sounds like his bottom needs a rest.

Have they given him any steroids? They will usually bring down a fever.

I sure hope he turns the corner soon! [emoji]128591[/emoji]

Last edited:

noxandhermione

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! He got a steroid shot today, and the doc put him on a different antibiotic that penetrates the brain wall (I think thats what she said but I was exhausted so it's hard to remember) because they think he may have an infection on his brain.

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hoping he continues to fight! The stools sound much better!! Let's hope the shot of steroids and antibiotics helps!! Not much you can do about the sore tushie----I know one of my mom's vets said you can use gold bond powder-I doubt he's grooming himself and that will help heal as it has zinc in it--but do check with your vet first.

noxandhermione

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He seems good. Eating, pooping, and peeing regularly. But I think he's depressed. He just lays there with his eyes open staring at nothing. Are there ways I can try to stimulate him to play? When I tickle him, he just kinda gets mad.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I have just read through this thread and have a few comments.

As you probably know by now, panleuk is out of the picture.

While a kitten can feel lonely for momma and siblings, they do get over that just a few days after separation. 

That stare is one of 2 things, preoccupation to heal his body, and/or the head injury.

One of my fosters recently dealt with a head injured kitten when he was just a week old, mom grabbed him up by his head and punctured his skull.

Right in the area that controls growth is what the vet said.

As the other siblings grew, he was not, very slowly. He acted like he was blind too. We knew his eyes weren't damaged but thought his brain was not in sync with his eyes, so what he may have seen wasn't registering. It was mostly a guessing thing.

He slowly started growing, but was way behind in development.

Week by week he improved, coordination, everything.

By week 9 he was fully functional except he would get lost, walk off a couch, etc.

It took a long time for him to heal, and this may be what happened to yours too.

Just a possibility though, speculation. But I would not underestimate his former injury though. It is possible he has an infection in his brain but we couldn't know this.

Did I read correctly that he overheated not due to fever but the heating pad?

Then you cooled him down but too much, right?

So fever is not in the equation.

I think he was malnourished for one. Good the fleas did not cause much anemia, because they sure can, and actually kill a young kitten. 

I also think if you can weigh him daily you will find the appropriate amt of food for him by his daily gains of approx 1/2 oz a day. 

You can feed him fancy feast kitten or A/D diluted with KMR. 

I would feed him the right amt, and allow him time to heal his body.

When possible, hold him on your chest for comfort. Talk to him often, take a warm cloth and make little wipes all over him as mom would.

You can put a bit of A & D ointment on his sore butt. You can tell if he has a fever by your own body temp, if you touch him he should feel about the same as you do, his ear tips and paws will be a bit cooler.

I wouldn't try for playing for a while, you will know when he is ready, something moving will peak his interest, his ears will go forward and he will stalk it. Until then he needs rest, sleep heals.

Last edited:

noxandhermione

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@catwoman707

Thank you for your response! I do feel better about his inactivity, but it just worries me a little still.

Yes, the heating pad is what caused the overheating. We've taken precautions now to make sure it does not happen again.

We have fed him AD food before, but it seems any soft kitten food at this point gives him diarrhea. We are now on a strictly GNC milk replacer diet, with a few servings of baby food, and added FortiFlora. The vet and I want to see if this helps the diarrhea.

noxandhermione

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what to do. I'm beginning to lose hope that there will be a happy ending for Nox. He just seems to have given up, and there's really been no improvement since my last post other than he peed without stimulation twice today, though I don't know if he's just too weak to even hold his bladder anymore.
I just know how devastated I'll be to lose him, but I'm also devastated watching him "live" in this state. I don't know what to do.

Last edited:

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor sweet Nox is very lucky to have you for his Mama. Know that, no matter what, he knew love and kindness because of you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
N noxandhermione

Again, he suffered a traumatic head injury. He may heal very, very slowly.

Does he respond when you hold and cuddle him? Is he eating enough?

noxandhermione

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't respond to much of anything at all. And today, he's not been wanting to eat as much as normal.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor baby. It could be an off day.

How long is the steroid shot supposed to last?

noxandhermione

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not sure. I'll ask the vet tomorrow. We are gonna call just to update her on how Nox was acting today.

noxandhermione

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We decided to send Nox on his way this morning. He wasn't eating for me and he would rarely even open his eyes. Thank you all for your advice and help through this journey. Hopefully, I can save the next little one who comes my way with the knowledge.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We decided to send Nox on his way this morning. He wasn't eating for me and he would rarely even open his eyes. Thank you all for your advice and help through this journey. Hopefully, I can save the next little one who comes my way with the knowledge.
Tx a lot for what you tried to do!  

Warm hugs!

RIP, little Nox!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless his little heart. You really did everything you could for him, and he was loved. Thank you for caring for him. He is out of pain now. Run free, Nox, over the Rainbow Bridge! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
The TCS Team offers our condolences on your loss.  We invite you to post a tribute to little Nox in our Crossing the Bridge forum, and we will now close this thread out of respect for your loss. 

Status
Not open for further replies.