6 week old kitten is constipated

werra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is now 24 hours constipated. I saw her straining in her litter box but didn't pass out the stools. I checked her anus and there is a little tiny bit of feces there. Other than that she is playing and eating like usual kittens. I am giving her lots of water in syringe and unpasteurized goat's milk. She is still with her mother does it mean that the constipation started when I started weaning her to wet food? What should I do please help. 

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
My kitten is now 24 hours constipated. I saw her straining in her litter box but didn't pass out the stools. I checked her anus and there is a little tiny bit of feces there. Other than that she is playing and eating like usual kittens. I am giving her lots of water in syringe and unpasteurized goat's milk. She is still with her mother does it mean that the constipation started when I started weaning her to wet food? What should I do please help. 
she's ok for now. it's only been 24 hours, and she is showing no other signs.Animals with constipation are typically lethargic, dehydrated, reluctant to eat, may be vomiting and have a "hunched-up" appearance.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You live in USA? You do have there crushed, conserved pumpkin. Take these plain, unflavored brand.

Very good to make the bowels move, say about a tea spoon a day.  You can perhaps mix it with the water in the syringe.

Goat milk shouldnt give constipation, but you can still try to water it out a little. (some of the syringe water give with the milk instead...)

Good you are giving her much water and goat milk. So lack of fluids is not the reason here...

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

werra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I just went to the pet store now and saw a canned pureed pumpkin there and bought it. They said it is for dogs but can be eaten by cats as well is that ok to give to her? And also can I mix it with her wellness canned diet or should I give the puree pumpkin alone see if she eats it that way or blend it in water and force feed her using syringe? and A teaspoon of pumpkin pureed is enough once a day?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

werra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also have plans on taking her to the vet tomorrow. Should I go tomorrow or wait first after I gave her pumpkin puree?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry for the late response, but via PM I know your problems are solved now, you bough this pumpkin and it works excellently for you..

Yes, this puree works for dogs, cats, humans. You can give it in any form you wish. Together with wet food if she eats is excellent. If you are forcefeeding her, ok mixed with water...

A teaspoon a day (I suggest parted in two-three portions), for a kitten should be a good day dosage. For an adult, somewhat more, as in the link I did gave you..

And for actual constipation, somewhat more too...

The only real problem is, with a teaspoon a day, the pumpkin will take many days to use. Take out the content from the metall-package and have it in a tightly covered glas, keeping it cool, so it will last longer. 

You can also eat some yourself, so you you dont need to threw away anything.  :)

If your main reason for visiting the vet is the constipation, I would suggest wait till you see how the pumpkin purée works.

If you do have other issues as well - are they needy, go.   Are these something that can wait a couple of days - wait these two days.

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
maybe you could put it in ice cube trays then freeze and pop in a freezer bag so you only get out what you need :)