6 week old kitten euthanized for testing pos to FELV, mom is negative. How is this?

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about the kittens, you gave them a peaceful end. I know all to well how it is to see a helpless baby suffer and sometimes letting them leave peacefully is the best gift we can give them.

I am so glad you are giving Hope a chance. I have hope that she may just surprise you, I have my little miracle sitting in my lap as I type this and the vet didn't think she would survive, and honestly there was a point I didn't either. If anything she has taught me that there is always hope as long as there is still that fight left in the cat.
that Hope will start feeling better soon.

I don't know if you have used it before but maybe some Viyo would help too. I have used it several times with super sick kitties. It is liquid so it is easy to syringe. It is full of vitamins and nutrients that might help her feel better. It is low calorie so I use it with a/d or something else for calories. I am pretty sure it says to give 30ml so you could easily add it to the baby food you are giving her.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read that to mean it took her 30 seconds into her crying to realize she didn't want to give up on Hope. She had to save Hope, so the grieving for the little ones will have to wait.
Catwoman 707, please accept my prayers and all the vibes I can muster for Hope. I'm sorry about the babies, but they had no hope. Hope does, and if anyone can save her, I am convinced you are the one to do it.
:yeah: AND trying to save Hope, will make up for some of the pain of losing the other babies :rbheart: Passing along my prayers and vibes for Hope. I am so sorry about the heart breaks that we inevitably come across when rescuing stray/feral kitties. We cannot save them all and FeLK is deadly as we all know. All of the rescues - TNR or other - always euthanize the positive kittens and cats. It is true, as Laurie pointed out earlier, that kittens can test false positive from their mother's. That mother cat WAS positive, I am sure. She was probably incubating the virus which means also that the other cats in that colony are all infected as well. Anyway, unfortunately, shelter's/rescue's and TNR orgs. will not wait on kittens to be over six months. They are all euthanized. :sigh: I am sorry about those babies and again, mega vibes for Hope..... :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Bless you heart for all the lives you save in your rescue efforts. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: My heart goes out to you, hun. :heart3: :vibes:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh just ALL of the above!!!!!! I absolutely agree - trying to save Hope will help ease the pain of losing the kittens. :rbheart: I agree completely with CatNamedPanda - sometimes the gift of a quick and peaceful end is the best gift of love.... but I know you know that, and it hurts no less. :( :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :rbheart:

You MAY want to consider ordering some Yunnan Baiyao, if you can. Where you live, there may be a chinese market that carries it handy. It will help her immune system and the anemia (and quickly).
You wouldn't need to use the emergency tea pill (that's for serious trauma to stop bleeding), just the capsules. Lazlo weighed 10 pounds, his prescribed dose was one pill every other day for four pills, then one pill every three days. You probably won't need to use more than half the box (but it's a darn good treatment to have handy, and it's part of our medical kit - for people and cats). We didn't need to use the full course (not even a full pack of 16), his hematocrit improved inside of two weeks.

This is the Wikipedia on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yunnan_Baiyao

This is a discussion of how Dr. Patrick Mahaney uses it: http://www.patrickmahaney.com/anima...y-medicine-can-be-used-in-pet-first-aid/#hide

You'll see in the reviews on amazon that MANY people use it for pets. :heart2:

Mega :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Hope - and for you! :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all so very much (bawling once again :) Your encouraging words mean so much, I know some of you have been here in my shoes. Sometimes I think my heart will just burst into a million pieces from overload of pain and sadness. But somehow I know this can't happen, as there are many more who need help and saving, and I will have to be there.

I do have great news about Hope! Last night my husband and I did NOT have to syringe her!! We did the norm, he holds her baby style and I syringe her, but this time I held a small dish of food up to her and she started eating it on her own....only when we held her, I'm sure she is feeling our love and concern, and desperately needs a reason to pull through, the sickness, depression, the abandonment and everything else she has gone through, and just maybe she now shehas a big one. Because she is special, she does matter, she has a name, a safe place, love and all the affection she wants.

This is a HUGE breakthrough, she has not eaten at all since she has been here with me and who knows how long before that time, since she is so very skinny.

I feel that although she is far from out of the woods, I can save her. It will surely be many months of rehab, but at least a glimmer of Hope :)

I just came in from the cat room, checking on Hope and take a pic or 2 of her. She actually stood up and came towards the front of her cage for the first time,

another sign of improving!

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catwoman707 -

"

Thank you all so very much (bawling once again :) Your encouraging words mean so much, I know some of you have been here in my shoes. Sometimes I think my heart will just burst into a million pieces from overload of pain and sadness. But somehow I know this can't happen, as there are many more who need help and saving, and I will have to be there.

I do have great news about Hope! Last night my husband and I did NOT have to syringe her!! We did the norm, he holds her baby style and I syringe her, but this time I held a small dish of food up to her and she started eating it on her own....only when we held her, I'm sure she is feeling our love and concern, and desperately needs a reason to pull through, the sickness, depression, the abandonment and everything else she has gone through, and just maybe she now shehas a big one. Because she is special, she does matter, she has a name, a safe place, love and all the affection she wants.

This is a HUGE breakthrough, she has not eaten at all since she has been here with me and who knows how long before that time, since she is so very skinny.

I feel that although she is far from out of the woods, I can save her. It will surely be many months of rehab, but at least a glimmer of Hope :)

I just came in from the cat room, checking on Hope and take a pic or 2 of her. She actually stood up and came towards the front of her cage for the first time,"

I've been reading with such a heavy heart.  And then I came across your last post with the pictures of Hope!  I am so very sorry for your loss but am so happy you are able to help Hope.  My thoughts and prayers are sent to you, your husband and Hope.  Hope needs you right now and you've rallied in spite of the heartache and setbacks.  Bless you! 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful though as you say, very thin.  Hope she continues to pick up and recovery.  And hope you keep the vet posted!

simka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Best wishes for Hope, that she continues to improve gradually now she is in your good care. Thank you for stopping in your tracks and taking her back.

People ask me how I can bear to hospice foster but that's easy compared to what you do because I know no matter how much I fight, the outcome is already written just not the time.

Do they think the anemia is from fleas, poor nutrition and pregnancy?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much once again, each time I read a reply to this I get the throat frog, tear up, you know. It's been so emotional, fighting for those babies and losing them, one at a time, my wonderful husband jumping in when I was broken down for a minute or 2, despite how I know it hurts him too, he now knows a kitten doesn't simply die suddenly, it takes hours and he is holding the baby through to the end. Then burying...

Then the vet visit and all, and the nights since that we both lay in silence not knowing if we made the right decision about Hope, not wanting her to suffer but holding on to the hope that she will be strong enough to recover, now last night's baby step of her eating, and today her standing up weakly and coming towards me when I went to get the pics (above)

I'm almost feeling like maybe she will make it.

The last time a vet told me to euthanize a cat and I refused, I sent him an 'after' pic. Living proof that love and the will to pull them through can make miracles happen.

Here's his pics, just because I'm proud of him!

My fat boy!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, what a dear precious girl Hope is! Poor little thing to have been so starved and poorly treated! You are such an ANGEL! (and your husband too)

And Oh My look at that handsome red boy. Those first pictures are so horrific, what a terrible..injury? Prolapsed anus? and now he's so sleek and happy and loved. The world is a better place because you are in it. What heroes you are!

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Hope :heart3:

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, he had prolapsed anus due to long time diarrhea, fur burned off his legs and tail, etc etc. He had no control. Took 8 months for this transformation. Just thought he deserved to be shown, I'm so proud of him, putting up with constant bathing, the months of meds and all. Big cute fat happy boy now, he was adopted to a wonderful lady and she sends me updates now and then.

Hope is coming along so well now, it seems each time I go out to the cat room she is showing more and more progress! What an incredibly affectionate girl, she is so grateful acting, and like she is trying to make up for all the lack of care and attention now.

She's even making a cooing sound, despite her still sore throat. (I can tell the way she swallows)

Makes me really wonder what kind of a person could abandon such a lovely cat...

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems I can't read this thread without weeping. :)

Hope is coming along so well now, it seems each time I go out to the cat room she is showing more and more progress! What an incredibly affectionate girl, she is so grateful acting, and like she is trying to make up for all the lack of care and attention now.
Thanks for the update! My Jennie was like that. Gosh she was such a sweet girl from the moment she began to trust me, which was the day I caught her in the trap. Up until then she was always running away and I didn't know HOW wild she might be. She is just pure joy. Hopefully she has forgotten the ugly years by now, she's been with me almost 6 years. :heart3:

And precious Hope will too.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, he had prolapsed anus due to long time diarrhea, fur burned off his legs and tail, etc etc. He had no control. Took 8 months for this transformation. Just thought he deserved to be shown, I'm so proud of him, putting up with constant bathing, the months of meds and all. Big cute fat happy boy now, he was adopted to a wonderful lady and she sends me updates now and then.

She's even making a cooing sound, despite her still sore throat. (I can tell the way she swallows)
Makes me really wonder what kind of a person could abandon such a lovely cat...
OMG - you are absolutely amazing at healing these kitties. OH your Fat boy is just gorgeous and look what love, care and time will do to turnaround such an painful condition. Bless your heart, once again :lol3: :heart3:

AWW and look at Hope. Just lovely and you can see the look of hope in her eyes. OH my heart and prayers go out to her. I do want her to continue to with this positive progress. :rub: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tear up everytime I read new posts, I just love this site :) So many people out there, from all over, with the same heart and passion as I have.

I believe Hope being dumped, lost and confused, starving, getting sick, pregnant, then trapped and thrown in the shelter, waiting to be killed, had her babies early, then losing them all, she had no reason/will to live.

I think she gets it now, she is in the right hands now, she is not trash, worthless, her life is important and she can recover. We will see to it.

Plus all the vibes here! How can she NOT feel them?!

OTTO-I do believe they remember the past. But just as it is with people, when the present and future seem so much better and brighter, the past fades...don't look back.

I have a permanent resident of my cat room, she is a feral I saved 3 yrs ago named Destiny.

I hate to get into yet another rescue story, but this is what makes me know they remember. So I will try to put it in a nutshell, I trapped her at one of my feeding spots in town, sick, very weak, dragging a broken leg, big bald patches, (lice) skin and bones, black crusty ears, infected eyes and a giant mass of fur stuck in her lower jaw that had been there so long it had grown into her gums, making it so she could not close her mouth. She had also been shot with a pellet gun and it was still lodged in her neck, I found out later.

It was 5 days before her clinic appt, it was so hard to care for her until then, absolutely the most heartbreaking case I have ever seen, still to this day. I could hardly look at her. I knew she would have to be euthanized. But I gave her love (as much as she would allow) until then.

I couldn't accept that any living, breathing life could be in this condition.

Anyway! The day came, I asked a co-rescuer to take her, I couldn't bare it, and if she could possibly bathe her before being euthanized, she called me and said the doctor will be able to save her if I agree to keep her indoors, of course I agreed!

They fixed her as much as they could, amputated her ears, etc. and the rest was up to me.

I told her every single day, you are a princess, and you will be beautiful. It took a long time but here is just a small pic of her 'after'.

This was taken the day I released her from the cage.

Anyway, she lives in the cat room, at some point about a year after her recovery/release from the cage she started acting different, hiding, and I was so sad, I thought we had an understanding, it went on so I contacted this woman we use occasionally, an animal communicator. I know, I am, or should I say WAS a huge skeptic. So I asked her to do a reading on Destiny, keep in mind I sent her a pic very similar to this one but her full body close up, she could not see her ears amputated, etc. just a pretty close up of a lovely cat. No history given what so ever, I made sure of that! I just searched through my tons of cat pics and can not seem to find the one I sent, so you could see it showed nothing...

What I got back was shocking, she described (while bawling) that she had not felt so much pain from a cat, not ever. She described extreme stinging and burning (ears rotting), pain in her neck that was very sudden (pellet shot)  her itchy skin (lice) her odd way of hobbling (broken leg) and so on...much, much suffering.

For some reason Destiny was afraid she would be sent away. Feeling this was it for her, if she had to leave it was the end for her, no more.

I have to laugh, I have so many stories I could share but...so much for this one 'in a nutshell':) !!

Anyway, bottom line is...they absolutely do remember the past. I have no doubt about that. I do believe with a better life now it fades.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope is about the same, actually no noted improvements lately, she is still eating/drinking on her own which is huge, but no improvements in her uri symptoms.

It makes me think she did/does have pneummonia. I am also wondering if I should take her for another covenia shot...just to be on the safe side.

simka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very glad to hear she is holding her own and fully eating on her own.

Can you try a different kind of antibiotic - Doxycycline, for instance (an old favorite with shelter vets but a powerful drug) or Zeniquin, another powerful antibiotic and quite new. Or an anti-viral since pneumonia could be caused by a virus. My Bee has a really bad chronic URI and we pulse treat her with the anti-viral Acyclovir which works wonders, although it takes a few weeks (that's how bad she is).