6 Week Old Kitten Care

greenpeeps5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have taken care of cats for years, fostered cats, taken care of ferals and had kittens for years, but this one has me stumped.

About two months ago, a third generation feral cat moved into the house. She is a very small cat, as is her mother, but the most affectionate feral I've ever met. She was about six months old. She did not look the least bit pregnant - and I've seen a lot of pregnant cats. One day I noticed that her tummy was slightly more rounded but not much and I thought it was because she moved in and wasn't out running around as much and had more food.

I had an appointment to get her spayed, but I got up six weeks ago and she had presented me with three kittens. Okay. I can handle that. So everything was going along fine until three days ago. She was a great little mother and the kittens are adorable. Then she went in heat. Still okay, not uncommon.

Except now she doesn't want to nurse the babies and they don't want to eat food. Usually the kittens I've had have had interest in food before now or around now. I give them wet kitten food (and have tried two different kinds and different flavors in case they're being picky). Nope. I got formula and don't have to bottle feed them because they'll take it out of a bowl, and I make a slurry with the food in it. They take that, but every day I try mushed up kitten food and they won't eat. I've bottle fed before and

They're chasing their mom around wanting to nurse. She will play with them and sleep with them sometimes and clean them, but will only occasionally nurse them. And when I feed them the slurry, Mom comes over and wants to eat it all, so I have to make two bowls, one for the kittens and one for the mom so she doesn't take it all, although she eats regular cat food too. I know I can remove her when they're eating, but frankly, it's easier to let her have some too.

I have a little Pomeranian and they play with her -- cats don't seem to know if she's a cat or a dog -- and all rub against her and like her. The kittens have even gone up to her and started poking around, The mama in heat has gone up to her too and the dog doesn't know what her problem is and why she's backing up into her, lol.

So is this unusual at six weeks not to want to eat food? Should I worry? (Too late. I already am!) Is there something I should do?

Second question is, Mama has still been cleaning them and their little butts, but by now, they're usually already using a litter box. I have a couple around for them, different litter, open and closed, but they don't seem to have really caught on yet. Anything I can do to help move that along?

I've been weighing them the past couple days since mom stopped nursing and they're still gaining.

I am going to adopt them out when they're old enough. Kittens have never been a problem before, just work, but this is the first time things haven't progressed as normally. Any suggestions?

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not a kitten expert. However, since they arrived rather unannounced, is it possible that they were premature? Could that explain why they may be a little behind the curve on taking in food?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not all kittens wean right at 6 weeks. It’s usually between 6-8 weeks, so it sounds like they are getting there. Since mom has decided she’s done with nursing, it’s time to spay her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenpeeps5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. My cats are inside cats, but yes, I'm calling to get her an appointment to get her spayed now so she can go in the second she's out of heat.
I had one cat who went into heat while waiting for her appointment two weeks out. They told me to wait to make an appointment when she was out of head and by the time that appointment came, she went in heat again! Lol. She walked around the house screaming "Nooooo!" No, indeed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenpeeps5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not a kitten expert. However, since they arrived rather unannounced, is it possible that they were premature? Could that explain why they may be a little behind the curve on taking in food?
I wondered that because I'd never had a cat that didn't at least give me a few signs. Her mother is a small cat, she (the Mama), is very small and the kittens are small -- and adorable, of course. So that makes it more difficult.

But they're strong enough with their running and playing and I don't have to bottle feed them. They're drink it out of a bowl.

Thank you so much for your reply.