6 Things I Learned from Our Ringworm Plague (book length....)

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I almost forgot....the instructions on the bottle of Limeplus that we have say to shampoo the cat first, rinse, then dip.

Various videos of dipping cats also say to bathe the cat first.

But people here, and on various websites, say to not bathe the cat first. In fact, I shouldn't even wet him first.

How do I know who to trust?!

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband re-uses the same rubber gloves when dipping Sonny. Is he spreading the ringworm? He thinks the lime sulfur kills the ringworm on the gloves. He also wants to use the same washcloth on him again. 

He also puts Sonny in a tub of water to shampoo him, and dips a cup in the water, pours it over Sonny and it runs over him and back into the tub, which he then dips the cup in again and pours over Sonny again. Is this process spreading spores? Should he use fresh, running water only? 

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nearly two months have gone by. Dr said it could take up to six months.

SIX MONTHS?! SIX MONTHS?!

I could just faint.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am happy to share our happy ending with all . With good medical, and emotional care RW treatments
do work. I have a picture to share of our 5 month old kitty. After a day of, calling loudly to come play tag and scampering all over the house.

Last edited by a moderator:

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have read through most of this thread, including the links and attachments - very helpful!!

Here is where we are:

Got kittens  on November 22nd. Took them to the vet the next day (requirement to take to vet within 72 hours as per contract). I had noticed a crusty spot by the boy's tail, and I immediately thought ringworm. I had worked at a vet's office in high school, so it was the first thing that came to mind. She wasn't really sure what it was, it didn't glow under Wood's lamp, but she ran a culture. On November 25th, I stopped by the vet to get miconazole lotion, just in case it was ringworm I wanted to treat right away. I was still on edge about the whole thing, so on November 28th, I picked up KetoHex shampoo and LimePlus Dip from the vet. I used the shampoo only and held off on the dip, because the results weren't back yet from the culture. December 4th, both my daughter and I got spots - two each - on our chest/neck area (right where we were cuddling the kitties). I called the vet and told them that their culture was lame since my daughter and I cultured the ringworm faster than their culture!  

Fast forward - we began daily oral terbinifine (1/4 tablet because they are kittens) and bi-weekly shampoos and dips.  It took a while to get an oral med that wasn't going to cost a small fortune. The itraconazole was going to cost $250 to have it compounded. Te terbinifine was $33 for the month supply.  The bottle of dip specifically states to shampoo first and then dip, and those were the directions I got from the vet, also.  They have been on the oral meds now since December 7th and been getting shampoos and dips since December 4th (the first day we found the ringworm on us).  So, two weeks of oral meds and 3.5 weeks of shampoos/dips.  

I am vacuuming the bathroom they are in daily and cleaning it with Spic and Span (claims to kill fungus), rinsing, allowing to dry, and then accelerated hydrogen peroxide (Rescue brand) twice weekly.  They are now only in the bathroom.  They were in my bedroom/bath area for the first couple of weeks.  I have vacuumed my bedroom and cleaned the wood floors with vinegar/water weekly.  I change my bedding weekly now that they are isolated in the bathroom (instead of daily). 

Here are my questions:

1.  They have been isolated in the bathroom for the past 2 weeks because it is just WAY too much to clean the attached bedroom daily like I clean the bath. Plus, I sleep there and really am trying to not get more lesions.  Do you think they can come out of isolation yet, or should I wait for a negative culture? (We go back Dec 31 for a follow up and culture).

2.  Following this routine (bath, dip, oral medication, cleaning bathroom and disinfecting), how long does it usually take until they are no longer contagious (on average)?

3.  I have a carpeted cat tree that they are not using right now, but they were.  I took it outside, sprayed it with Lysol, washed it with carpet cleaner, and used the accelerated hydrogen peroxide on it. I also let it sit in the sun for 4 days hoping that would help kill anything else. Do you think once they are out of isolation that it would be safe to allow them to use it again?

4.  Is there anything else I can do to speed this along???

I do NOT want this to happen again, so once they come out of the bathroom, I will let them be in my bedroom again for 3-4 weeks before allowing them to go into the rest of the house.  

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, on an interesting note, the boy kitten had a grey spot on his ear. The vet had said it was just a mark/freckle (he is a silver tabby) and it wasn't anything to worry about.  Well...since I started using the lime dip, it has disappeared.  So much for freckle, huh??  She didn't seem that experienced.  We are now seeing a different vet in the practice, so hopefully he will be better.  

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick update on Sonny: his ringworm seems to have cleared up. The vet said one more bath & dip (he got that today) and next week, shampoo only. Lesions on him are gone. No more miconazole lotion for him, no more oral meds. He's acting like his active kitteny self again. 

Update on Gustav: he has it under his chin, and it's very hard to get the miconazole lotion there IF I can even CATCH him to treat him. He likes to hide behind things a lot. I'm being extremely proactive in bathing his area in medicated shampoo and lime dip; I'm doing it every other day on him. He isn't taking oral meds. I'm not sure I could get an oral med down into him. 

We are still keeping the cats separated. Sonny still lives in the bathroom at night and if we go out. During the day, he goes out to the porch for sunshine and fresh air. 

I'm hoping Gus' spot won't get as bad as Sonny's did. 

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Quick update on Sonny: his ringworm seems to have cleared up. The vet said one more bath & dip (he got that today) and next week, shampoo only. Lesions on him are gone. No more miconazole lotion for him, no more oral meds. He's acting like his active kitteny self again. 

Update on Gustav: he has it under his chin, and it's very hard to get the miconazole lotion there IF I can even CATCH him to treat him. He likes to hide behind things a lot. I'm being extremely proactive in bathing his area in medicated shampoo and lime dip; I'm doing it every other day on him. He isn't taking oral meds. I'm not sure I could get an oral med down into him. 

We are still keeping the cats separated. Sonny still lives in the bathroom at night and if we go out. During the day, he goes out to the porch for sunshine and fresh air. 

I'm hoping Gus' spot won't get as bad as Sonny's did. 
HI Tracie!  I read back, and it seems like we have been dealing with this mess starting about the same time. I got our kittens on November 22nd, and took them to the vet on November 23rd. At that time, there were a couple of flaky spots on the boy, which turns out was ringworm.

When you were doing the dips and medication, did things get WAY worse before they got better?  One and a half weeks into using the oral medication (terbinafine) and 2 and a half weeks into the bathing/dipping (twice a week) the kittens started an all over body scabbing. The vet had said it was miliary dermatitis, but I think it had something to do with the ringworm...like they had it all over their bodies and it had to work its way out or something.  I don't know!  As of today, they are doing SO much better.  After their bath and dip yesterday, most of the scabbiness came out (after I combed them - I've been combing them with a flea comb once a day).  Tonight when I combed them, the boy has very little scabbing left and the girl only has a bit left on her rear legs and feet.  The were covered with crusts two weeks ago.  I pray that this means we are the end with this.  I'm waiting for a culture to return.

Interestingly, the vet's office said the culture will only tell positive or negative and won't tell what kind?  It's a 1-3 result type that cost $80 for each cat.  =/  This is costing a FORTUNE!!  

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

HI Tracie!  I read back, and it seems like we have been dealing with this mess starting about the same time. I got our kittens on November 22nd, and took them to the vet on November 23rd. At that time, there were a couple of flaky spots on the boy, which turns out was ringworm.

When you were doing the dips and medication, did things get WAY worse before they got better?  One and a half weeks into using the oral medication (terbinafine) and 2 and a half weeks into the bathing/dipping (twice a week) the kittens started an all over body scabbing. The vet had said it was miliary dermatitis, but I think it had something to do with the ringworm...like they had it all over their bodies and it had to work its way out or something.  I don't know!  As of today, they are doing SO much better.  After their bath and dip yesterday, most of the scabbiness came out (after I combed them - I've been combing them with a flea comb once a day).  Tonight when I combed them, the boy has very little scabbing left and the girl only has a bit left on her rear legs and feet.  The were covered with crusts two weeks ago.  I pray that this means we are the end with this.  I'm waiting for a culture to return.

Interestingly, the vet's office said the culture will only tell positive or negative and won't tell what kind?  It's a 1-3 result type that cost $80 for each cat.  =/  This is costing a FORTUNE!!  
Want to see photos of how bad it got: This is my cat blog, and I took lots of pictures: http://flcatbloggin.blogspot.com/2016/12/sonnys-ringworm.html

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If they have ringworm, make sure you bleach the hell out of any brushes and combs you use on them! Otherwise you'll spread it!

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Want to see photos of how bad it got: This is my cat blog, and I took lots of pictures: http://flcatbloggin.blogspot.com/2016/12/sonnys-ringworm.html

I'm so glad he is recovering!!  My kittens never had any bald spots.  That's what is weird about this whole thing!  Just scabby skin underneath the fur.  

If they have ringworm, make sure you bleach the hell out of any brushes and combs you use on them! Otherwise you'll spread it!
I have been using bleach in the laundry and accelerated hydrogen peroxide on everything that they come in contact with (combs included).  I wash the combs with the shampoo, too.  The accelerated hydrogen peroxide is actually what the vet clinic uses (and recommended).  It is less damaging than bleach but is supposed to be very effective at killing ringworm.  

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just as an aside, I just got an "apology" from Gus-Gus.

I had to chase him around the apartment to get the miconazole lotion on him, and this made him rather angry. Well, I think I got him treated (it's under his chin, which is hard to get to) and I had him in his little barrel that he naps in, which meant cramped quarters. I did my best, and gave him some treats and left him alone. 

He just came into my craft room, where my computer is, and walked up to me, his tail up, and allowed me to pet him. He circled my chair, being affectionate, then went to his bowl to eat. 

He just broke my heart. He must be so stressed and frightened. He'd given me a smack and some hissing when I tried to catch him to treat him, but I think he really feels bad about that. 

I always remind myself he's just one little kitty in a big, scary world. This helps me to stay patient with the little dude. 

I love him so much. 

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes - they really don't understand what is going on and that what we are doing is to help them. I try to tell mine that the bath and dip will help them feel better, but I know they have no clue and think I'm just torturing them. I HATE that I'm missing out on their time being kittens because we are dealing with this. It isn't fair and it isn't right.  I purposely researched kittens to purchase because both my son and I are highly allergic to cats.  If I ever would have known that they would have come with ringworm, I never would have gone through her.  I'm angry, but it is what it is. They are mine and I will get them through this.  

amyl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The good news is that neither my son nor I react to these cats (allergy-wise), so if we get through the ringworm, then all should be great!!  The kittens personalities are wonderful.  They are both so sweet and loving.  I hope they stay that way through all of this...

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

The good news is that neither my son nor I react to these cats (allergy-wise), so if we get through the ringworm, then all should be great!!  The kittens personalities are wonderful.  They are both so sweet and loving.  I hope they stay that way through all of this...
I wasn't sure if Sonny would love me after these treatments but he is every bit as sweet as the day is long; I'm well forgiven. He mews and purrs for me and is happy to see me, etc. 

While he was going through it, I'm sure he felt miserable and wasn't the perky kitten he had been. 

Just like Gus is now an unhappy mature cat. He's suffering with this, and there's only so much I can do to help him. Until it's gone, he's going to be unhappy. I just have to accept that. 

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if shaving Gus would help him? Is it best to shave a cat who has ringworm? Or is it not really  necessary?

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if shaving Gus would help him? Is it best to shave a cat who has ringworm? Or is it not really  necessary?
Im sure someone with more ringworm experience will be able answer better. But i believe ringworm lives in the skin, so shaving would not be a solution. It may just cause more iritation to the cat. Defintely something to aks your vet!

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im sure someone with more ringworm experience will be able answer better. But i believe ringworm lives in the skin, so shaving would not be a solution. It may just cause more iritation to the cat. Defintely something to aks your vet!
Oh yes, so far as I know, ringworm is a skin disorder, not a fur disorder. But removing the fur might allow easier transfer of medicines directly to the skin, and also reduce breeding ground for the spores, or so I was thinking. 

Sonny had been shaved a couple of times during his treatment, and methinks it may have helped shorten the duration of the ringworm. 

Oh and here's a chemistry question for anyone: how exactly does miconazole treat ringworm? Does it kill spores? Does it inhibit its breeding capacity? Same question about the lime sulfur. 

I should have studied chemistry. My dad used to work for W.R. Grace Chemical, after all...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually shaving is a bad idea unless the cat is in horrific condition. Shaving will cause microscopic cuts in the skin where more ringworm can congregate.

I suggest that all newbies here read about Dr Moriello's protocol for treating ringworm see links and discussion in several of the posts above. Her treatment is effective. You can also read the two informative articles (one on cleaning) posted by TheCatSite BU going in the articles page or searching for those links. Best of luck to you!

Bunnelina

Last edited:

tracie holladay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually shaving is a bad idea unless the cat is in horrific condition. Shaving will cause microscopic cuts in the skin where more ringworm can congregate.

I suggest that all newbies here read about Dr Moriello's protocol for treating ringworm see links and discussion in several of the posts above. Her treatment is effective. You can also read the two informative articles (one on cleaning) posted by TheCatSite BU going in the articles page or searching for those links. Best of luck to you!

Bunnelina
OK. Gus' condition isn't nearly as horrible as Sonny's got to be. I guess that's why they shaved him.