6-month Old Semi-feral Kitten Terrified Of Prescribed Lime-sulfur Dips :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat9055

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6-month old foster kitten was feral when I received him 4 months ago. He had ringworm REALLY bad all over his face, on his paws, hips, and ears. I used lime-sulfur dips as directed and it got rid of all but a tiny patch on his tail (really resilient, no hair loss or flaking, but lights up under wood lamp).

Because of his treatment, particularly the spot treated on his face, he is now TERRIFIED of the bathroom and the smell of sulfur. I went to the vet and she said I have to continue the dips, but he keeps trembling and struggling and gets SO scared! When he is that scared, he begins to regress and fear me and being picked up by me. I adore this kitten and I am trying to get him more socialized. Does anyone have any ideas for making this process less tortuous?

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't offer any help, but I do understand your situation. I had (and still have -failed fosters) a pair of 6 month old ferals who had lung worm and a bad case of herpes. By the time I got them, the lung worm had been treated but the herpes was so bad, I feared for their eyes. The male would actually attack when he saw me with the meds. Luckily, my vet came up with a treatment of oral meds that worked so there was no more grabbing them and administrating meds that stung. Today the both of them are love bugs. Hopefully, someone has a similar idea for you. Good luck and thank you for giving this little guy a chance.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Kat9055 Kat9055 :hithere:

I'm so sorry your little guy is so freaked out by his treatments :( It's most likely smell related, at least in part. Ringworm can be an absolute nightmare to deal with, and those dips/baths are essential to getting him healthy. This may be a little late, but I'd try immediately following each treatment with some extra yummy treat, so he can (hopefully) start to build a positive association, or at least reduce the negative one.

Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight
Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime

How are things going now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat9055

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Kat9055 Kat9055 :hithere:

I'm so sorry your little guy is so freaked out by his treatments :( It's most likely smell related, at least in part. Ringworm can be an absolute nightmare to deal with, and those dips/baths are essential to getting him healthy. This may be a little late, but I'd try immediately following each treatment with some extra yummy treat, so he can (hopefully) start to build a positive association, or at least reduce the negative one.

Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight
Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime

How are things going now?
Sadly, the reason why the ringworm wasn't going away was because Onyx had FIP. He actually passed away last Thursday after being diagnosed the previous Monday (I knew he was sick, but they thought worms). Luckily it was short and sudden (2.5 hrs from eating and feeling "okay," he had at least one seizure and died) and late in my home rather than him being scared at a vet. I don't think my situation was too common, so if other people are having this issue: it isn't likely your cat has FIP if their ringworm doesn't go away. I was just unlucky.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no :( I'm so, so sorry :hugs: FIP is a horrible disease. He was so lucky to find you, and spend his last months off the streets in a loving home.

:rbheart:Rest in peace, Onyx, you gorgeous boy:rbheart:
:angelcat::hearthrob::bluebutterfly::hearthrob::purplebutterfly::hearthrob::bluebutterfly::redheartpump::rbheart::redheartpump::bluebutterfly::hearthrob::purplebutterfly::hearthrob::bluebutterfly::hearthrob::angelcat:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the site Team, we are very sorry for your loss. :grouphug: Threads are closed after such a loss as a sign of respect. Please consider starting a memorial thread in our Crossing the Bridge Forum.

Rest in Peace little one. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.