6-month-old kitten ONLY 2.6 lbs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charlie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His poops are still a lighter color, not sure if that matters, but today they were tootsie roll shaped!  Nice shaped stools, which has been wonderful to see!

He's still chowing down on Innova EVO Turkey & Chicken Formula.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, it matters. It means he's still got B12 deficiency and malabsorption. Tootsie roll poop means he's on his way back from malabsorption but he's not there yet. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it matters. It means he's still got B12 deficiency and malabsorption. Tootsie roll poop means he's on his way back from malabsorption but he's not there yet. 
:yeah:

How often are you giving him the slippery elm bark powder? If you're giving it twice a day, you may want to start giving it once a day. If giving it once a day, you may want to try giving it every-other day. The slippery elm bark powder can interfere with nutrition absorption, especially if he's not getting the B12 shots yet.

ETA: how much probiotic is he getting daily? See how the scaling back of the slippery elm bark powder goes as re: poop consistency. If it loosens up, you'll have to look at the probiotic or consider other food. But he really needs those B12 shots! I know you just got back the test results, and you've spent quite a bit of money on him... :hugs: But are you still planning to see the holistic vet? That might be the best next step. :rub:

Last edited:

charlie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so he REALLY needs those B12 shots.  The vet doesn't seem to understand a whole lot about them.  I was the one that pushed for her to look into them.  She was going to have us grab Charlie's medications tomorrow and she claims she'll look into them and what is the proper dosage for Charlie, but ultimately wanted to see how better he got from the Amoxacylin and Flaggyl before giving him the B12 shots?  Should I push for an earlier release of those shots for myself?

The Slippery Elm Bark we just recently have been giving like once a day.  Have been on that kick for maybe 2-3 days now?  Probiotic we had been doing the mixture twice daily, but now have been on the once daily for 2-3 days now.  The WHOLE mixture!  

I was planning on giving the Holistic vet a visit perhaps once Charlie is off of his next two antibiotics at least.  Since he's been on quite the path to recovery thus far, I was giving the vet a chance to bring home the gold medal for getting Charlie back up to par since she knows his conditions.  Though it was weird, we had the older man vet, but they switched us to the younger lady vet.  She's better at listening than the old man is, but you can tell she just graduated within 5 years.  She's still semi-new which explains why she's probably unsure of the B12's.  It sounds like she's never had any experience using them.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those B12 shots are IMPERATIVE!!! Please print out that page on my site I gave you on B12 and give it to her. She needs to get this through her head that B12 is very important here. VERY important. 

charlie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so we're picking up the B12's this week.

However, we've started Charlie on the Flaggyl and Amoxi and it's been what?  Two days I'd say. The vet claimed things would get a little worse before they got better, which is understandable.  But, since we've started Charlie on the two antibiotics, his poop has become a liquidy and diarrhetic and he puked this morning as well...  I'm curious to understand if this is what's supposed to be occurring.  I called the vet and they were supposed to get back with me, but nothing yet.  So I'm looking for some expertise here on this issue if anyone has any at all (which I'm sure someone does)!

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why on earth does he need to be on TWO antibiotics at the same time? This is too much for his system. Call the vet and tell him this is too much for him. The Amoxi is counteracting the Flagyl. The Flagyl is to stop diarrhea and Amoxi is for other bacteria but can CAUSE diarrhea. 

charlie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, so this has got to be strike 7 for this vet...  We really just want to get Charlie onto a better path, while this vet (should) understand Charlie's current position before we switched over to the Holistic vet...  So which antibiotic would you suggest starting with?  The Amoxi for the clostridial infections?  Or the Flagyl?

They were supposed to call me today, but I suppose I'll have to call them again tomorrow.

Also, wanted to add a note that the vet had spoke with Kelly when she bought the antibiotics the other day.  She just told me that HE specifically told her that both antibiotics would be okay to use at the same time.  He also asked about the probiotic we were using and explained that THEY had a probiotic there, Kelly politely asked if it was Fortiflora (which it was) and so she explained that Charlie responds better to our natural probiotic.  He went on to say that if we got tired of that, they had more Fortiflora if we wanted.  So this, again, tells me he is more about the $$ then Charlie's actual well-being...

Last edited:

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd say the Amoxi. I suppose sometimes kitties are okay being on two antibiotics but it's clear he's not. I've seen this happen before. His little system can't take it.

charlie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so we'll just go ahead and stop the Flagyl and go strictly on Amoxi.  I'll call the vet and resolve this issue with them tomorrow.  Is the Flagyl strictly for diarrhea?

And thank you so much for the quick response!

NOTE: I just did a little more research.  The Flagyl appears to be for Clostridium infections.  Amoxicillin is perhaps for an urinary tract infection?  Still go with the Amoxicillin first?

Last edited:

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're very welcome. Yes, usually Flagyl is given to kitties who have chronic diarrhea and can't resolve it on their own. Just tell the vet that he threw up and has horrible diarrhea now after he was getting it resolved with the probiotics. unfortunately he may continue to have soft or loose stools on the amoxi for awhile but if he needs to take it, then he needs to take it. But I just don't think he can handle being on both of them at the same time. Maybe the vet's thinking was that the Flagyl would help with that but as I said, I think he's not capable of handling it. 

charlie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay should I continue with our probiotic as well then?

And yeah, I believe it is evident now that the two antibiotics is way too much for Charlie's undersized and most likely sensitive system.  He hasn't puked in forever.  I received a picture text message from Kelly of the bathroom after she had been gone for just a few hours for class... It was a mess to say the least...

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes absolutely continue with the probiotics but make sure to give them at least 2 hours apart from the amoxi. otherwise it's pointless. Poor Charlie. He was just starting to feel better. 

charlie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I figured so!  I know!  He's still playing a lot, but it was just so upsetting seeing the bathroom be such a wreck... It was such a short time span that he clearly had a bad reaction all at once.  Tonight he dripped once... He hasn't dripped in over a week. 

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's distressing. I know what it's like to have a sick kitty, see improvements and then have setbacks. It's really disheartening. He'll be okay, you just have to figure this out with the vet to do one thing at a time. I'd even double up on his probiotics if you can.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you stop any antibiotics be absolutely sure you know why each one was prescribed.  If they are attempting to treat two different conditions at the same time, one with each A/B then stopping one of them means you are not treating that condition, and you are increasing the chances of resistant strains of bacteria becoming dominant.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Before you stop any antibiotics be absolutely sure you know why each one was prescribed.  If they are attempting to treat two different conditions at the same time, one with each A/B then stopping one of them means you are not treating that condition, and you are increasing the chances of resistant strains of bacteria becoming dominant.
:yeah: While I agree it is odd that the vet prescribed two antibiotics, please keep in mind no nil e advice can replace direct veterinary care.

A reminder of our forum rules:

2. Do not provide medical advice. Discussing various options is encouraged and you may share your experience including details about what kind of medication was administered and dosage. However, do not suggest to another member that they should change anything in the course of treatment prescribed by their vet without first consulting with a qualified veterinarian.
I really hope you can find an effective treatment for your cat soon. :hugs:

charlie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you all again.  The vet just called again, and they want to put him on an anti-nausea medication as well.  Is all of this too much for our little Charlie...?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Obviously the vet wants him to have both antibiotics despite the vomiting and diarrhea - and they want to use another med to stop the vomiting. I was wondering if he has both clostridium difficile and clostridium perfringens... though the treatment for both seems to be metro, so I'm still wondering what the amoxicillin is for. :dk: And he was on clindamycin before, right?

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/gen...um_difficile_and_c_perfringens_infection.html No discussion of either in the cat though.

IDK. To me it seems like an awful lot of meds being thrown at your boy. They may be needed, I'm not a vet, and not in a position to know.

My advice remains the same. Take his records and see the holistic vet. :rub:

I would consider doubling up on the probiotics. You definitely want "good" gut bacteria in there, because all these antibiotics are wiping everything out. (Again, make sure they're given at least 2 hours on either side of the antibiotic administration).

Whatever you decide, I hope he feels better soon! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. Take the records and go to the holistic vet. Worst case scenario you don't like her advice and just go back to you regular vet. No need to tell them about it. ;-)