6 month old cat biting me, not sure if it's playful or aggressive. How do I make him stop?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although they appear to be offering their bellies to be rubbed by rolling on their backs, a lot of cats don't like it and will react with bunny kicks. Our RB cat, Jamie, would roll over like that for people he liked, but I was the only one who could actually rub his belly. Anybody else got scratched or nipped if they dared touch it.
My kitty Tiny is the same way! He flops and shows his belly, but he doesn't really like having it stroked. Instead, I run my hand down his side once or twice, and he seems to enjoy that.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Every* time he bites you need to push him off or leave. Every single time.
He's a kitten. He likes to play. And you are the biggest best play toy ever right now. You let him bite you as much as he wants.
You NEED to stop that association.

lorenaavila

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's correct. For us like cat owners sometimes we find this as "cute" to play with our kitten with our hands but is highly not recommended. Instead, it is very necessary to get a good pack of toys to make your kitten play and spend all that energy it has. I know a very good toy that is a scratcher at the same time. It is called Bergan Turbo Sratcher. It is a very good toy.

Hope I can help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*Every* time he bites you need to push him off or leave. Every single time.
He's a kitten. He likes to play. And you are the biggest best play toy ever right now. You let him bite you as much as he wants.
You NEED to stop that association.
I do push him off :\ I feel bad for him especially in the morning because he's purring and wanting to jump on my lap and wants rubs but then he just goes right to biting me and I have to push him off. I can't even pet him give him attention without him biting me now.

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that doesn't sound fun for either of you. How about, when he's running up and you know he'll want to do his bitey play, you grab a toy (or a nearby string or bit of paper or whatever's at hand) and dangle that instead? That way, he never gets the chance to try biting, and he gets to interact with you anyhow.

If he still bites you anyway, then you can push him away and ignore him. But perhaps he needs a few lessons on what he should do when he is in the mood for play, as well as the lessons in what he shouldn't do.

Last edited:

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty Tiny is the same way! He flops and shows his belly, but he doesn't really like having it stroked. Instead, I run my hand down his side once or twice, and he seems to enjoy that.
Pauli loves having her belly rubbed, (at least for a little while) when she's had enough she grabs my hand but very rarely kicks)

She also loves tearing up wrapping paper.

She and Kat-Kat have taken to 'wrestling' in the evenings/late afternoon which seems to wear them both out (even though Kat-Kat is at least 4lbs heavier and 2 yrs older than her)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bet a LOT of his aggression will vanish when he is neutered. I agree you have to walk away EVERY time he bites, they want the attention. I do believe it is playing, he is just too rough because he doesn't have a sibling or friend to rough house with. GOOD LUCK,  for all your sakes I hope it all turns out well. He'll be a whole different cat with some age on him, that's why I avoid adopting kittens.

lgri5th

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a six month old tabby that we got when he was about 6 weeks old.  He was from a shelter, obviously removed from his mother way too soon.  He was fixed by a Pediatric Vet before we got him.  He is biting my husband and son (10 years old) and putting his claws into their skin, very vicious.  We also have a 95 pound Golden Lab and he will just run up to him and attack him in the face.  My dog prefers to sit outside rather than deal with this kitten.  We are about done with him.  We a prepared to take him back to the shelter as he is not getting any better, just meaner and he is ruining all of furniture with his nails.  We dread being around him.  We have given him every toy possible and he has a three story cat climbing tower.  He has been given steroids and we feed him special food from the vet $20 a bag.  What do we do??

ownedbymycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to the site ..
I have a 6month old russian blue cross and she is the exact same, she was spayed about 3 weeks ago and I swear a day after surgery she was bouncing about biting like nothing had happened.

Whilst other behavioural issues have calmed, she still isn't cuddly unless it's on her terms. Which in my experience with cats is the story of their life..... They own us!! Haha As they get older and sleep becomes the main factor of their life I believe they get cuddlier. But ... Some cats are just not lap cats.

As I have written this.. My Luna has come over to me, meowed, cuddled my head .. Lay down and has just got back up and bit the tender bit at the back of my arm ........ Now she's gone to play with her millions of toys.
I find a laser pen works for knackering her out. I also have one of those treat balls that she has to figure out how to get the food out.

lindamc62

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two 8 month old kittens. They also "play bite," but they are gentle.  They are brother and sister and have wrestled with each other since I got them at 9 weeks (and before).  They learned to be gentle with their mouths and their claws by playing with each other.  A single kitten doesn't learn how to moderate his bite, but still wants to wrestle.  He's also probably teething, and could also still have some left over nursing behavior.  One of mine likes to suck on my hair, and sometimes tries to suck on my finger.  He has been calmer since he got neutered at 6 months.

Have you tried teething rings or something similar to redirect his biting?  My kitten's favorite toy is "Da Bird" a wand toy with fluttering feathers. They go crazy for it.  If you wear them out, they are less likely to use YOU as a toy.

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I doubt it's really aggression, ours are 3~5 yrs old and sometimes just 'play rough'

Kat-Kat will roll over then do the full kick, scratch, bite thing, he's 'drawn blood' several times but it's OK as he's only playing. I 'know' it's going to happen and could just leave him alone but he's so much fun.

I prefer my cats to be happy rather than controlled and, they do seem real happy to me

Last edited:

maxsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
lol my 6 month old kitten willingly takes my whole finger in his mouth ( his doing not mine) he is a bad biter too. He is currently 5 months old and i was hoping he would have grown out of it by now and he often draws blood. he has his moments of great affection like having to rub his face all over my face before he goes to sleep. I read this thread hoping to find hints on how to resolved my kittens terrible biting have found a few good hints but i dont think shoving a finger down his throat is one :)

catladylou

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi i now have 3 cats 2 male and one female. The female is 7 years old and the male is 6 years old and the little one male is 6 months old. Have them neuterd does not stop them biting you as my older male has been done and its only been the last year he has chilled out. We had done at 7 months old so quite a long time agao now. :lol3:

pupkinthekitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I sore a few people telling you to hiss at your kitten, but with my kitten he just stops and carrys on, now this is with a 4 3/4 month old cat so it mite be different but with my friends 4, 6 month old kitties they tend to bite quite alot but mainly because they are orphan and haven't had any teaching from there mum. 

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
pupkinthekitten pupkinthekitten
Welcome to The Cat Site.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but you've posted on an old thread. Many of the posters above are probably not following this thread anymore.
Thanks for your comments,and feel free to roam the site.
Please feel free to introduce yourself in the New Cats on the Block forum

maxsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
lol my 6 month old kitten willingly takes my whole finger in his mouth ( his doing not mine) he is a bad biter too. He is currently 5 months old and i was hoping he would have grown out of it by now and he often draws blood. he has his moments of great affection like having to rub his face all over my face before he goes to sleep. I read this thread hoping to find hints on how to resolved my kittens terrible biting have found a few good hints but i dont think shoving a finger down his throat is one :)